.·*LOST*·. Whatever Happened, Happened

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Tonights episode:

#11: "Whatever Happened, Happened"
    62 minutes long

Can't wait to see what happens with Little Ben. Will he survive his gunshot wound? Will any of our people WANT to save him? Will his dad even care?

[This Message was Edited on 04/01/2009]
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I haven't read or heard a thing about this episode. Well, except for the previews from last week's show. I only finally got to watch LOST untangled yesterday. Funny.

With a title like that, I wonder if we will find out what happened to Daniel?
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Should be a good ep. I love the child actor they have playing him. He's perfect for the role.
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

but I'm loving this episode after finding it all a bit tedious this season. The conversations between Hurley and uhm, what'shisname about time are hysterical! Great fun! Loving it! It's suddenly as good as the first few episodes again.

What happened?
  5. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Great episode. I laughed, I cried, I scratched my head.

Now we see that our losties were partly responsible for Ben becoming what he is today. They took him to the Others. Now he will forget the shooting, always be one of the Others, and will lose his innocence. I wonder what that means?? If Jack had saved him, (if he could), Ben would have probably grown up a normal guy. But I assume that the title of the episode is telling us that THIS is what happened, and it can't be changed.

I am very excited to see Richard enter the temple. Will we finally get to see the inside? And what exactly is going to happen with Ben in there?

I am pretty sure there isn't a freshly scrubbed surgeon waiting in the temple to operate. Does Ben's "healing" involve Smokey? A magical herbal concoction? Is he going to die and be resurrected? Is that a requirement of all leaders of the Others.... they have to die first and be reborn on the island? If so, then we would know what Ben meant when he said he was born on the island. He was REborn on the island.

Loved the conversation between Miles & Hurley! I love it when we see characters trying to explain something in the same way that we struggle to explain the show to others. Like when Hurley told his mom about the island and all the weird stuff there.

Kate made me cry like a baby. How touching. She gave up Aaron because it was the right thing to do, to give him to his grandmother. And when she said she was going back for Claire, I lost it. She loves that boy like her own. What a huge sacrifice! (Funny how they teased us with Cassidy. A lot of people were sure Kate had left Aaron with her.)

So old Ben doesn't remember getting shot by Sayid, because Richard said he will forget this. Will he remember the rest of the Losties being there?

Interesting line from Richard about how he doesn't answer to Ellie & Charles. Seems there is trouble between Richard and them. I wonder if Richard will be part of the plan for Ben to trick Widmore into turning the wheel and being exiled from the island.

Richard seemed a little creepy to me again. When he took Ben and they zoomed in close, he had kind of a sinister smile on his face.

It was cool how they went from Richard carrying Ben into the Temple to the scene with Ben & Locke. Lockes line, "Welcome back to the land of the living".... strange. I know its a common phrase when people wake up in recovery. But on Lost, there has to be more to it than that.

Can NOT wait till the next show! Is it Wednesday yet?
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That was a good episode!

Loved the Hurley-Miles conversation! Hurley said everything I've been thinking. Like, Why doesn't old Ben remember Sayid shooting him? Great to hear Miles say "Huh".

But now we do know, it's because the Others saved Ben and he's going to forget everything. But Ben must not forget how rotten his dad has been to him. I assume he's still going to gas Dad along with all the Dharma people.

kid, Good analysis about Ben being RE-born on the island. It always bothered me that he said he had been born on the island. This fits.

Jack is being so un-Jack like. Not saving anybody, not fixing anything, not leading. I enjoyed hearing Kate say she liked the old Jack better, and him calling her on it saying she really DIDN'T like him before.

Juliet marching right into the bathroom while Jack was showering. Loved it!

That was cool to have Jack say the reason he operated on big Ben before was for Kate. And Kate asked him to operate to save Sawyer. Then Sawyer saying he was saving little Ben because Juliet asked him to. Sawyer was doing it for Juliet. Both times Ben was saved because someone was doing someone a favor--out of Love.

I can't wait to see how it plays out with little Ben, Widmore & Ellie! Good stuff!

7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I agree with you guys, I enjoyed this episode a lot!

Wow, I shuddered at the line that Ben would lose his innocence. What in the heck could that mean??? He was a pretty innocent and cute kid.

I wonder why we haven't seen Ben's childhood friend Annie at all yet.

I am also dying to find out what the inside of the temple is like and what might go on there! Spooky!!! That's a great theory about Ben being re-born on the island. Or born again, you might say.

I loved the reference to Charles and Ellie being in some kind of leadership position with the Others. Tantalizing!

I thought that John Locke's line about the land of the living was just to reinforce to Ben that John was alive again. Ben looked suitably shocked.

I wondered if Ben would remember Juliet saving him after he was shot. Remember how they described their history as "complicated" when Ben had the tumor on his spine?

I could have believed that Ben recognized Sayid and didn't let on. He's good at not revealing what he knows. But this explanation that Ben would forget what happened ties things up nicely on that score.

When Ben said he came back to the island to be judged, it reminded me of the Anubis statue, since that was Anubis' job, to judge the souls of the dead. How is the island going to let Ben be there, since he wasn't supposed to be able to come back after turning the wheel? That still hasn't been resolved.

Like you all said, I also loved the revelation of what Kate did with Aaron and was touched that Kate wanted to find Claire. And I also loved the Hurley/Miles conversation. hee hee!

8. Ninilchicken

Ninilchicken New Member

Richard seems to have the most powerful relationship with the island, he doesn't age, so maybe he lets the other Others, think they're in charge, but they're not really. Didn't he say during the bomb episode that the leadership changed among the others. So now we know Ben wasn't totally wrecked by his father, but by whatever happens in the Temple and growing up with the Others. Now I'm wondering how he gets back into Dharma, he was in the van with his dad when the gas went off. Glad they answered who Aaron is with, but they're developing as many new questions as they are answering the old ones.
  9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Why did Ben get a tumour on an island that heals people?

Who knew what when?

Hurley & Miles' conversation = priceless!

10. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

After some heavy pondering and discussion, I think I have an idea of what Richard meant by Ben losing his innocence. I think that whatever he goes through in the Temple will involve him learning all about the island, what it is, what Smokey is.... everything. In order for him to become one of them, he would have to know this stuff.

So like how Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge and lost their innocence, Ben will too. He will no longer be the wide-eyed child looking at the island as a place of wonder.

TwinMa, I dont know if Ben will actually die and be reborn or if he will just be healed by the island. But either way, it will be like being born again. He will not be the same person.

I agree about Jack, he is being Locke now. Everything he said sounded like it came from Lockes mouth..... letting the island take care of things itself, and him just getting in the way. When he told Sawyer "No", it was exactly what I expected. He is not the same hero/savior he was before.

Love your comparison on Jack and Sawyer both saving Ben for their women.

Forebearance, Remember Isabel, the Others sheriff? She was the one who arrested Juliet when she killed Danny the Other. However that was worded last night when they mentioned Ellie, made me think that maybe she was the sheriff, and Widmore the leader. It fits her behavior in the 1954 scenes.

I still suspect that Ben will remember these people later. Richard said he will forget "this", which sounded like this shooting and temple healing part of his life. We will just have to wait and see on that.

I am dying to see Bens "judgement"!! That should be very interesting!

Deidre, I think that after Ben gets healed or reborn and Otherfied, Richard will send him back to Dharmaville. But he will act as a spy for them. He will always be one of the Others now, but he will have to continue to be patient and pretend all is well in Dharmaville. When we saw the events of the purge, Ben was wearing a Dharma jumpsuit, and I think he was a "workman" like Daddy. Back in season 3 (I think) they told Locke he had to kill his father to prove himself to the Others, and before he could become leader. So I suspect Ben's official leadership will begin after the purge and Rogers death. They can't keep him yet IMO, that would be breaking all kinds of rules.

Rafiki - I think Ben got the tumor because he had lost favor with the island. He had gotten sidetracked with his fertility obsession and lost site of what the Others real purpose was. The island only heals people who are worthy. The gooder they are, the quicker they heal. Richard told Locke that they were not happy with Ben anymore. I assumed at that time that the island had dropped Ben like a flaming turd now that Locke was on the way.

You asked, "Who knew what when?" My brain is too fried right now to understand that question.

I totally agree on the conversation between Hurley & Miles!

If anyone here watches this episode again, you have to watch for this:

In the scene where Sawyer comes to Jack, to ask him to help save Ben, there is a moment where the background music steps forward and speaks for the viewers.

Since the last episode, fans have been discussing how Jack would now have to save Ben's life again. I personally did not agree with that, but for the most part, the majority of fans expected Jack to comply. That's what Jack does, he saves people. (Or used to....)

So in the scene, Sawyer asks Jack for his help. There is a long, long pause, and Jack says simply, "No."

It's at this point that the score comes alive and takes voice. With one simple note, a pluck of a chord, the score says,

Short pause, then the musical accompaniment goes on about its business.

I had to watch that a few more times. Another priceless Lost moment. You just have to hear it to see what I mean.

Something I watched once showed how the orchestra that does the background music actually plays in front of a big screen that is playing the episode. They play it as they watch it to get the timing and mood just right.

[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2009]
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I've been pondering this episode, too.

That is an interesting idea about what Richard meant by losing innocence, 4everkid. It would make total sense.

What I've been pondering is: what does it mean for the other Others? It seems to imply that the Others have all "lost their innocence". What does that say about them? Would it explain why they are so violent and hostile?

The Others almost seem like they are a bunch of priests who run the temple. That gets me back to my original feeling that the Others are like a cult.

Sure, I could imagine Ellie being the sheriff of the Others. I had forgotten about that position.

I don't think I would sign up to be "Otherfied".

Yes, I see what you mean, Ninilchicken, about how Ben's dad isn't solely responsible for how messed up Ben became.

And yeah, it seems to me too like Richard is the closest person to "the island".

You know, I like Jack better this way. He seems less likely to become an alcoholic. It's like he's letting go.

That's cute about the background music, 4.
  12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Ooooo..... the preview for the next episode makes it look like Ben might be facing the smoke monster and might be killed or judged the same way that Mr. Ecko and others were.

Do you suppose they would kill Ben off?

13. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Fore, I don't think anyone is totally safe in this show. We have come a long way from the old days of tv when main characters never died. You just KNEW the problem would be worked out by the end of the episode. I remember how completely blown away I was when Sid died on Knots Landing back in the early 80's! Such a thing was unheard of then.

These days you just never know. I worry all the time about my fav characters on Lost. Seems like just when you start to like someone - BAM - they die! Or with Lost, sometimes its a major character, like Charlie or Eko, that you liked all along. I suspect that in some cases, once the character is redeemed, (like Charlie and Shannon) or refuses to be redeemed (like Eko) the island is done with them. So, for this reason, I worry about Sawyer. Sawyer has become the complete opposite of what he was when he arrived on the island. He is totally a good guy now. I am afraid to type the words..... he has been..... redeemed.

Ben on the other hand has been bad... very bad. If like Eko, he faces Smokey and has to decide if he feels regret for his misdeeds, will he? Will he be sorry he gassed the Dharma group, or killed his father? Eko killed a man to spare his brother from doing it, and he wasn't sorry. His brother grew up to be a priest. I have a feeling that Ben feels that his mass killing was for a greater good, and wont regret it. But I can't imagine Lost without him.

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I have a strong dislike for Ben. I would like to see him punished. I would like to see him grovel. I want the crap scared outta him! But dead? I hope not. I enjoy loving to hate the character too much to see him die. He is one of the best things about Lost.