1 more cured of Cfs I read today in my newspaper by diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I was reading a story about a lady who was fighting the city due to a cancer cluster. Half way through the story the gal (who was trying to get answers about kids getting the cancer) stated she had CFS for 6 yrs and got rid of it by an organic diet and lots of broccoli. She had stated all she could do was take her kids to school and pick them up. This is the 4th time I have come across people getting cured by diet. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Rene
  2. Rene

Rene New Member

I was reading a story about a lady who was fighting the city due to a cancer cluster. Half way through the story the gal (who was trying to get answers about kids getting the cancer) stated she had CFS for 6 yrs and got rid of it by an organic diet and lots of broccoli. She had stated all she could do was take her kids to school and pick them up. This is the 4th time I have come across people getting cured by diet. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Rene
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

CFS, like FMS, and like Cancer may not be one illness but a whole group of illnesses in the same family. There have been some who have gone into what seems like a permanent remission of CFS. There is always the possibility that they were misdiagnosed. CFS is a very difficult illness to diagnose.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but these kinds of claims always make me suspicious.

Love, Mikie
  4. G

G New Member

I hope so although it could be remission. But all the same if this women is feeling better, "Good, for her and the others".

Organic diet abd lots of broccoli, ugh....

Will do some looking into it. What was the name of the newpaper and name of the article? Can you let me know, please.

G
  5. Rene

Rene New Member

We have to remember a syndrome is NOT a disease it is compilied symptoms that make a syndrome. So if all the symptoms are gone then my opinion is your cured. I think we had a article on this sight a couple of weeks ago. Cher was bedridden 2 yrs and I'd say shes cured. Sorry I don't have the article of the paper but the gal is doing mountain climbing now. It wasn't even a paragraph on her CFS anway. My 2nd cousins in church met a lady in MN who had CFS for 10 yrs. My cousin had asked her if she wanted cake at a lunchin and the lady said she can't because she had CFS for 10 yrs and cut out all the sugar ect and she is improved to working ect.
    Rene
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Anything is possible; however, there have been people who have been in remission years only to have the illness reappear. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic. Remission of symptoms cannot be considered a cure.

Love, Mikie
  7. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

turn into a disease once they have found a cause for it. Syndrome means - lots of symptoms & we don't know why.
  8. sean

sean New Member

I believe without question that diet, plays an important part in CFS/Fibro symptoms, but I believe it is because the immune system is severly depressed, and unable to cope with toxins in foods. You end up becoming extremely sensitive to food and chemicals, in fact you end up becoming sensitive to just about everything.
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

we don't know WHAT cures it yet but a good diet can't hurt. i'm putting more faith in the high protein diet i'm on now. i've done a little reading and it seems we need to get more protein to repair our muscles. i do feel good enough to exercise now. cindi
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

THE most important factor in our healing and health. It is possible that if we can get our bodies healthy enough through diet, that our immune systems will begin to function normally again.

Love, Mikie
  11. sofy

sofy New Member

Is insulin a cure for diabetes? If you check your blood and exercise everytime its indicated and eat correctly diabetes can be managed and you don't have to loose your sight and limbs with old age. Cure?
    Doesn't seem to be any one who has the exact symptoms or cures here. Organic diet would mean lots of fresh veggies and no chemicals. Meats would be void of hormones and drugs. If any of these things are what you are extremely sensative to then yes I believe it could be a cure for you. Life style changes can make more than dramatic differences for lots of sick people and we are no different. We cannot be poisining our body with booze, tobacco, unhealthy diet and expect to find one little pill that will make us better. If we have any hope of feeling better I think a prolonged multi faceted barrage of good habits has to be a part of the plan. This cheer leader is tired and will go take a rest and then eat some organic brocolli sprouts. Ya all have a nice day, now.
  12. lucky

lucky New Member

Now if the diet would play such an important role in CFS/FMS, my question is, with most of us really looking after the quality of foods and what and how we eat, this is by far not the only reason to get better - or as you so rightly said 'in remission'. There are many many more reasons for all the symptoms, diet is just one of the many which might play a role. And.....believing......sometimes is a cure also.
    Just to explain, I am a positive person, but a realistic one also, and think it is great that some people really get better on a diet. Take care, Lucky
  13. roro

roro New Member

Following a low carb diet has helped me tremendously, but cured? no. I have to remember that sugar, potatoes and grains ar elike poison to me.
  14. sean

sean New Member

There's a lot of scientific evidence that points to diet in just about every immune disorder to which I believe, CFS, FMS, belong. Many people have reported to have improvement of the conditions, even claiming cure. In FMS, CFS, Lupus, MS, Rheumatoid arthritis, osteo arthritis, gout, MS, polychondritis, but to name a few. I'm not sure about cure, but improvement definetely. The problem is getting on the right diet and maintaining it. A lot of us will have noticed food allergies, other may have masked allergies, and not be aware of foods that are causing them problems. Avoidance of all problem foods and in fact any other allergies would be needed in order for the immune system to get better, but this is easier said than done. We can however do things to help. Try cutting out all sweet things containing sucrose. Avoid additives in food, Drink plenty of filtered water and cut down on caffiene intake. Take time out to relax, and meditate, gentle exercise, being careful not to over do it. Try doing things to occupy your mind and inspire positive thinking. All these things go a long way to improving how you feel. I'm all for organic food, as I think chemical spraying is bad, but I really can't afford organic food, and it is not as readily available. If we all as consumers demanded organic foods, instead of putting up with the chemically toxic stuff we eat, we might find that we didn't suffer as much with these mystery immune type diseases and conditions. Unfortunately the big food suppliers dictate what we eat, not us. Like the saying goes you are what you eat. If you eat crap, then don't be to suprised if you feel like crap, the body will have to work over time to get rid of junkie food.

[ advertisement ]