10/24 The Big Day, SSDI Psych Doc--- Was Great Visit!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LuvMeCritters, Oct 23, 2002.

1. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

And I will be soooo glad when it's over. I think this is the end of the journey. I'm sure I won't sleep tonight because I'm so nervous about the visit. My panic attacks had been becoming farther and fewer between, but this week has been one BIG panic attack. I guess it's a good thing I won't be sleeping, I'll look even worse than usual. lol. I wrote down the list of my meds/doses to take with me so I don't forget anything, and also a copy of the doctor's disability evaluation that was done on me. I'm taking that only because it has lots of dates of when I started certain meds, therapy, etc. that I would not be able to recall without looking it up. So I'm going to take the advice I've read here, no jewellry, no make-up, no upbeat smiling personality, which won't be a problem, because I haven't been like that in quite some time. I am suppose to call my SSDI claims adjudicator immediately after the appt. For what reason I have no idea. Did anyone else have to do this? I know I won't get him, because my appt is at 4:15pm and is 30 minutes away, so I'm sure he'll be gone for the day by the time I get home. I'm having my mom-in-law drive me, 'cause there's no way I could drive myself. I told her if I start bawling in the car to just ignore me. lol. I have to smile about it now, but I'm sure that's what I'll be doing before I even get in the office. I just hope he's not too intimidating. Wish me luck! Thanks. :)

Regina
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2002]
  2. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

And I will be soooo glad when it's over. I think this is the end of the journey. I'm sure I won't sleep tonight because I'm so nervous about the visit. My panic attacks had been becoming farther and fewer between, but this week has been one BIG panic attack. I guess it's a good thing I won't be sleeping, I'll look even worse than usual. lol. I wrote down the list of my meds/doses to take with me so I don't forget anything, and also a copy of the doctor's disability evaluation that was done on me. I'm taking that only because it has lots of dates of when I started certain meds, therapy, etc. that I would not be able to recall without looking it up. So I'm going to take the advice I've read here, no jewellry, no make-up, no upbeat smiling personality, which won't be a problem, because I haven't been like that in quite some time. I am suppose to call my SSDI claims adjudicator immediately after the appt. For what reason I have no idea. Did anyone else have to do this? I know I won't get him, because my appt is at 4:15pm and is 30 minutes away, so I'm sure he'll be gone for the day by the time I get home. I'm having my mom-in-law drive me, 'cause there's no way I could drive myself. I told her if I start bawling in the car to just ignore me. lol. I have to smile about it now, but I'm sure that's what I'll be doing before I even get in the office. I just hope he's not too intimidating. Wish me luck! Thanks. :)

Regina
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2002]
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

If its anything like mine was than you have nothing to worry about. The head doc I saw told me they have us see them to see if depression is a problem - He told me I had situational depression (because of the cfids) No thing like the med doctor they sent me to - that was the scary one! I think you'll have no problems!! I don't think it will be intimidating at all - he even did fun little games like "what does this look like" Hope all goes well.....AMY
  4. dndoriginal

dndoriginal Guest

Regina,
    You should be intimidated -He is not on your side!!!!!!!
    The first time I went I was trying to answer all his questions and be somewhat upbeat even though I was in constant pain.(BIG MISTAKE)
    Pace in the room, be arguementative, get some of the math problems wrong, forget his name, hell forget your own name. If you can get someone to drive you to the appointment - DO IT! Have bad posture, even rest your head on your hand. Be difficult and moody. The more mood swings you have the better your case will be. Remember this Shrink works for Social Security and it is his job to say that you are fit and able to work. He gets paid to say it, he is the enemy and should be treated as such. Oh he will pretend to be caring up until he stabs you in the back. Mark my words, when you get your first denial his name will be one of many that will say you are able to work. If you are able to cry - DO IT. Maybe even be a little under-medicated so your pain is more obvious and pronounced. Best of luck. I know it is probably in your nature to do the best that you can, but this is not the time or the place. You can do it - YOU HAVE TO.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Sincerely,
    Deanna
  5. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

Believe me I'll be crying. I've had a very difficult week and the smallest thing sets me off. And my mom-in-law is driving me. No way I'd attempt it. Hardly slept last night, so I look worse than usual. I'm not so nervous now. I'm just going to go in there and take what he gives me the best I can. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regina
  6. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

Well, I saw the psych doc and he was extremely nice. Of course I started crying as soon as he asked me the first question. He didn't ask me any of those stupid questions like what day of the week it was, or to recite the ABC's, or count from 10 backwards. Just talked about when my depression started, how my panic attacks make me feel, how often I have them, how my family life is,etc. He told me to stop the Pamelor and Xanax. Because it was overkill. I was kinda nervous about stopping the Xanax and I asked him what do I do when I feel a panic attack coming on..."he said take half a klonopin, it'll do the same thing". So he upped my Paxil Cr 25 to Paxil CR 37.5, and upped my dosage of Klonopin.

Best of all, he said in his report to SSA that he would tell them I am totally disabled due to Major Depression. Not that it's just a good thing to be majorly depressed, but he was on my side! I'm so glad it's over. I was so nervou seeing him, but he made me feel much calmer right away. Woo-hoo, I just jumped thru the last hurdle of the SSDI process. So now I have two MD's who have said I am totally disabled for gainful employment, one for depression, one for pain/fatigue. So...it's only a matter of time now until SSA makes their decision. I'm keeping the faith that I will have a positive answer.

Just wanted to let you all know they're not all bad. And how my visit went.

Regina :)
  7. achy

achy New Member

I have one comming up too...gotta do what we gotta do. Your lucky you had a good one...not all are so lucky.
    Hang in there

Hey, one question....my letyters from SS all state that the doc won't provide treatment....Why did your prescribe meds?? I would check with your reg. doc. before changing anything. I take xanax....and I need xanax...kolonopin is not the same....

Achy
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I hope your wait for a decision will be short and you will get approved. Good luck to you.

I do agree about checking with your own doc before changing your meds. Your doc knows you better than this one time guy and may have reasons for your being on the meds you are on, rather than the others.

Barbara