10 things to NEVER say to a Fibromite!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VikkiB, Jun 1, 2010.

1. VikkiB

VikkiB New Member

The following are STUPID things said to myself & others with fibro by uneducated people who just don't know any better...& some snotty little responses that "could have" been said...
    1. oh honey, you just don't have enough faith! (wow)
    2. you just need more sleep (really? do ya think?)
    3.you just need to add some fiber to your diet (gross)
    4. my sister has fibro & her symptoms aren't as bad as yours (good for her, but I'm not her)
    5. my cousin has fibro & she's so much worse than you, are you sure you have it (no, I'm not, I just made it up because having people look at me like I'm stupid & lazy is SO much fun)
    6. if you could just push through the pain & work out you'd feel better (really based on YOUR personal experience with fibromyalgia, right?...exactly)
    7.you know my cousin, alma dean, she cured her fibermeealga with moonshine (not kidding, really heard this one)
    8. you know fibro is caused by depression right? all ya have to do is pull yourself up by your bootstraps & get a job (really OMG...picturing myself hitting you in the head with a brick)
    9. you "fibro" people are just modern day hysterics, it's just a womans anxiety , yall just need a prozac & a glass of wine & learn to deal (said by a supposedly educated man)
    10. stop whining & just suck it up, I work everyday with pain (this same person tearfully apologized after being educated about fibro)

SO...just some of the "stuff" we hear that I thought I'd share, feel free to add "interesting" things you've heard below ;)
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

"Don't you know there's a medication for that????"

(I guess we have TV ads to thank as the primary educational vehicle for the average American adult.)
  3. klarry

klarry New Member

You certainly don't look handicapped. Why are you parking in that space?