10 WAYS TO USE VINEGAR AROUND THE HOUSE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Aug 12, 2006.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Thought I would Pass this on.I have tried the fabric softener and it does work and a lot cheaper.

It's a far cry since the days vinegar was used by soldiers and mariners to stop food rotting on long journeys and to kill maggots and add flavor to meat that had already decomposed.

Since then this common food additive has developed hundreds of alternative uses, many every bit as good as proprietary health, beauty and household products, meaning you also get to save money by keeping a few spare bottles of vinegar handy.

* Beauty Care: Add a cupful of apple cider vinegar to the bathwater to soothe tired muscles and relieve dry itchy skin and sunburn.

* Condiments: Make your own mint by gathering and stripping leaves from the stalks when dry. Tear into tiny pieces and spread evenly in a shallow dish. Cover with vinegar and leave for two or three hours before straining and pressing leaves lightly in a screw-top jar. Store in a cool, dry place.

* Children: Make your own playdough by mixing 2 cupfuls of flour with one cupful of salt, one-half cupful of water and 1 teaspoonful of vinegar. Mix the flour and salt first then slowly add water and vinegar, stirring all the time until the mixture is stiff. Use your hands to kneed the dough. The dough is ready to use or can be brightened with the addition of a little food coloring.

* Cleaning and Polishing: Remove heavy dirt stains from children's toys and baby hardware, tiles and other heavy duty surfaces, by using a cloth wrung out of lukewarm water to which a little vinegar has been added. Leave to dry before buffing with a clean fluff-free cloth.

* Clothing: Make your own fabric softener by mixing bicarbonate of soda, vinegar and water (parts: 2/2/4). Add a quarter cupful of the mixture to the final rinse for hand or machine washing.

* Cooking and Food: Make your own red food coloring by mixing one cupful of beetroot juice (tinned or fresh), two tablespoonfuls vinegar and water to your desired color. Bottle and leave in a cool place.

* Health Care: In folk medicine vinegar is considered an elixir for a long healthy life and is recommended for internal and external use. Make a daily drink from one tablespoonful of apple cider vinegar to a cupful of warm or cold water, according to preference. The practice is believed to benefit the memory and to help the body fight many diseases of advancing years.

* Ironing Disasters: If linen is badly scorched take a cupful of vinegar to which is added half an ounce of soap, two ounces of fuller's earth and the juice of one lemon. Boil well and spread over the damaged parts. Leave to dry and wash the linen. You'll find the stain has completely disappeared.

* Smells: Make your own air spray by mixing two cupfuls of white vinegar with one cupful of crushed herbs, choosing from rosemary, lavender, cloves, thyme or pine needles. Place the ingredients in a saucepan and boil gently for ten minutes then leave to cool. Pour into a large jar with close-fitting lid. Leave to stand for three or four weeks. Strain and add the mixture to a spray container or atomizer. Use in the same way as commercial air sprays.

* Stain Removal: Ink stains can be removed by soaking the fabric in vinegar for an hour or two before washing in the usual way.

======== Sue

2. BethM

BethM New Member

I love threads like this one!

I've been using vinegar instead of fabric softener for a couple of years. I especially appreciate it now that we are living in an apartment and are using communal washers and dryers. I figure it will kill anything anyone else might have left in the washer, and helps remove any leftover laundry soap. It does a pretty good job of softening the clothes, too.

I also use it for cleaning in the kitchen and bathroom. Sometimes I pour some into the bathtub and just let it sit until someone showers. Passive cleaning, I love it!

Vinegar will kill anything bleach will kill, and is much safer for us and our families and our pets and our environment. Smells a lot better than bleach, too!

Thanks for posting this topic! It's not an 'OT', because so many of us cannot tolerate modern day cleaning products.

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Mix a teaspoon in a cup of water and drink it in the morning and again in the evening....I believe there are other health benefits.
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I am now using vinegar to clean after my bleach disaster last week. I have always used bleach in the bathroom and anywhere else that mould might grow.

Does anyone know if vinegar kills mould too?

Thanks.

This is a great thread and one we should all pay attention to as we try to eliminate harmful chemicals from our lives.

Thank you, Sue.

Pepper
  5. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Hi Sue...

I love the airspray idea. Going to make up a batch today!!
    Never heard that one before.

I use vinegar and baking soda for so many cleaning jobs.

So much healthier and cost effective.

Thanks,
    Pammy
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've completely quit buying fabric softener and use inexpensive vinegar instead - and I have hard water. I buy the cheapest I can get in gallon jugs so build bone and muscle by lifting the jug each time.

Couldn't drink ACV though. It made me herx.

Marta
  7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i know it is a disinfectant but i dont know if it kills mold. charlene
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

I appreciate that. And the idea about the briars too. I am going to try it on some miserable plants that I just can't get rid of in our yard. It is worth a try.

Pepper
  9. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Half water, half vinegar in a spray bottle for mirrors, and windows,or any thing else that you want to shine.

Works great! I like your air freashner idea. Love Denamay
  10. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I used to try to clean my tile floors using some of the cleaners like Mr Clean, etc but they always left a film.
    Got a tip to used warm water and vinegar only. Tiles have been shiney ever since.
  11. janieb

janieb New Member

I use baking soda and pour vinegar over it to clean my drains. Really changes the way they smell.

janieb
  12. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Wamps when I washed my hair yesterday I gave the vinegar a shot.Rinsed my hair like you said.

Well left me with nice soft shiny with no tangles.Oh and it does not stink.

Thanks for the tip.>>>>>>>>Sue

Ouch I had a few pet stains on my new bedroom carpet.I tried the vinegar yesterday.Today no spots there gone.Also the room does not smell.

Thanks>>>>>>>>>>Sue
  13. BethM

BethM New Member

can this be used to repel fleas and ticks, too? I gave up and used the Frontline Plus for my dogs, but they are still scratching a bit.

Also, not too much sun on a regular basis here, overcast a lot, so how would I steep the mixture? Is just outdoor light enough??

thanks,
    Beth.
  14. pepper

pepper New Member

15. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I started using it on the grout in my bathroom. It was black with mold and bleach wouldn't get it white. I boutght lots of commercial cleaners and they didn't work either.

After I heard that people were using it in the Katrina homes to kill the mold (which was rampant)I stated using it and my grout has never been so white! I did however, learn that it will deteriorate grout if used in excess. My grout is so old it has already deteriorated, but at least it's white!
  16. pepper

pepper New Member

for that info. Deteriorated but white. LOL

Pepper
  17. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Let me use some. Thanks
  18. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Bump to go with other Vinegar post..
  19. Abednego

Abednego New Member

Howdy Folks--in addition to my enthusiasm for ACV, documented in the 8/22 "sinus pain" posts--it's improved my health, and my family's, in numerous ways--I find white vinegar absolutely indispensable. Probably the most amazing use I've found, short of its efficacy in vaporizer steam, is this: Sprayed with a tank sprayer--straight--on attic , basement, or crawl space walls and ceilings, it REPELS spiders and keeps them away for up to two years. When they do come back, just respray. If you encounter the nasty kind--recluses or black widows--a direct spray will take them out. Best to leave the daddy long-legs and harvestmen alone when they come back--they're the first to return--because they keep down the others. I never use poisons on my house. It's redwood and in a damp area and over eighty years old and I do all the work, which is a considerable amount. Vinegar is all I need. With regular inspections and applications it also helps prevent termites and beetles. Dr. Marion Moses of the Pesticide Information Center in San Francisco told me about this, although my experience around the house had already confirmed it!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2006]