103 The Lounge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Apr 28, 2012.

1. spacee

spacee Member

A reminder to read the posts at the end from a lot of us including Michelle
    our new member from the suburb of Detroit. We don't have anyone from
    there. We are really expanding!

OH, and Michelle, asking about 'do most of us live where it is rural?...maybe.
    Pam (who is moving to Florida, Me, Jole (I think) and Barry. Mikie, Rock
    live in a citified area. And Leah, you live rural or citified area? I know it is
    in the North East.

Which reminds me. Rock hope you and Gordon and Zippy survived the
    earthquake today.

Gotta hit the hay. I might have to clean bathrooms tomorrow since 3 parents
    and 3 kids are going to be here on Thurs. Plz think positive thoughts about
    that!!

Love you so much,

Linda
  2. jole

jole Member

Would love to be in church, but it's been years since I've been able to do that......it is what it is....

Michelle, I think I welcomed you, but if not, it's great having you with us! A new perspective is always nice.

Linda, I'll definitely be thinking of you! As much as I love my family, the stress before hand is alway much worse for me than their actual time here. I stress soooo much about getting things done, planning the menu, etc. that I'm totally exhausted and my mind is shot by the time they arrive.

There are times after they leave that I honestly don't remember big parts of the time when they were here. (Not to mention the time I sneak away to my bedroom for a few minutes of quiet...lol). Don't think it's worth it any more, but the kids all love being 'home' and together, so guess it's worth it for them......

Mikie, we too find things beyond repair when the kids leave, or one of the little kids will turn up the water heater, or change the settings on my dishwasher, or years ago opened our upright freezer and didn't shut it. Several days later we found it with the meat thawed. What a waste! We try to not say anything, but keep a close eye out when they leave now.

Still cold, rainy weather here. Makes for painful, slow days as you all know all too well. But it can't last forever, can it.

Our home styles....well, we definitely have a country home. We lived in a made-over garage for 14 years after we were married. One bedroom and 5 kids. True togetherness! We finally then had the money to moved a house out here and added on, plus a basement. The kids went wild with all the room, as did we. So it's an old house...modified. The kitchen still has the homemade cabinets that I have to paint, but big windows and lots of sunlight. Much of my furniture was either my mothers (expensive at the time and traditional), or bought by us and country. A few antiques that were his grandparents that I've refinished, so lots of variety which I love. My dream home would be all wood floors with lots of antique and/or southwest decor. I have a small collection of angels upstairs, and a collection of southwest (Indians, horses, saddles, etc.) in the finished basement. I use to think if we had past lifetimes I might have been indian......although in reality my ancestors came from England and Germany....lol.

Need to get a new toilet for our downstairs bathroom. Can't get the water to stop running, and hubby usually changes out the 'innards' and the problem is solved. Not this time.

Hope you all have a great day.....Hugs......Jole (not my real name)
  3. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Glad you dropped by Michelle the more the merrier.Some sun finally but still busy with the backsplash.It looks really good but I way overdid it.

Good news DS is under contract on a house.Should move in July2.Lots of stuff has to get done before that happens.Loan approval,inspection ect.Why do you even have to go through preapproval these days when it doesn't really mean your set to go.I don't think it speeds things up at all.The bad news is he will have his own house to do and that leaves me to be the right hand man.

Huz starts a diet tomorrow and I am giving up Coke.What will I do without the caffeine buzz to get off the couch?

I have Southwestern pots to go with your theme Jole.Huz picked them up when he first started traveling the southwest and it became a collection.I put them on the mantel but they don't go with the house at all.I still like them though.

Huz put a watersaver valve on our toilet upstairs but all it does is run at random times and scares the heck out of me.I told him I don't like it but he says it's cheaper then a new toilet.

Haircut time again for both Lily and me.Sister told me I should grow it out to shoulder length for less fuss but I can't see me in that look anymore.Besides the growing out stage would drive me crazy.

Good luck Linda,try not to overdo if possible.All quiet in the hood Mikie?Hi to Freida,Barry,Rock and Lilac too.

Pam
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm a relative newcomer to the Lounge but I'm impressed.

Pam, I'm laughing about your taking Huz ABX. I'll take a pill and then later wonder whether I took it while on "auto pilot." Yikes!

Linda, using anything with petroleum jelly on our skin isn't too healthy. It can absorb and clog our lymph nodes. Glad you like the Gold Bond. Wow, six more people. I hate having to clean the baths before and after company.

Leah, glad you found the font sizer helpful. It's so funny because the hardest things for us to find are the ones right in front of us. I never knew my remote had an "On Demand" button of its own; I always turned to the channel. Now, I loooove that button.

Oh, Rock, I hope everyone is OK too. I didn't know about an earthquake. I'm always amazed when we have a hurricane and my kids don't even know about it. That wind storm which took down the big tent was horrible.

Michele, I have also used the "a little at a time" method to get things done. I painted my whole bedroom that way. I would do as much of the wall as I could and do the trim at the same time. Then, I would move on down the wall. It took forever but eventually, I got it done. This was when I was pretty sick.

Jole, your home sounds lovely. I am a big fan of country and antiques. It's such a warm decor. My condo has touches of country and I do love my antiques. It's not as country as when I had my house.

Yesterday, I got nothing done except to laze on the sofa and watch Royal Wedding shows. Today, I used my steam machine to clean out my disposal and drain and the neighbors' too. Nothing cleans like steam. It's gray and rainy, like yesterday, and there's not much to do. So, I washed the cushion covers on the sofa. The slipcover didn't need washing, so it was relatively easy. Only thing is that the cushions are filled with feathers around a foam core. Well, when I take off the covers, all the feathers, which have worked their way through the cushions' inner covers, fly all over the livingroom. I always have to vacuum afterward. That will have to wait.

There's a pot roast cooking in my slow cooker and it's beginning to smell very tasty. I added a couple of small corn cobs, like in a boiled fish stew, and some mushrooms. Mmmm! I've been cutting down on calories and I actually did a little workout yesterday without having to take to my bed. Things are improving. I'm over the virus and will call tomorrow to reschedule my peptide injection. I finally found that if I add Glucerna to about half my morning cup of coffee, it tastes pretty good. It is filling, has protein and doesn't spike insulin.

The new season of "Game of Thrones" has started and I can't wait to watch it tonight. It's moving more into fantasy now with supernatural overtones. Sun. nights all have conflicting shows on at 9:00 p.m. here. That's why I love my On Demand button. I catch up during the week when there is nothing else on.

I just ordered two lanterns/bug zappers from the Q. They come with shepherd's hooks but we will likely use them on the balcony floor or our little patio tables. In another month, I will be the long official member of the balcony so I'll have to cajole some of our year rounders to come over. It'll probably require bribes of booze and snacks.

Our little kitties wrestle all the time and he keeps rabbit kicking her collar off. Those things are expensive. Tweety won't let me put hers back on so I have to take it down to Daddy Jeff's place and hang it on the doorknob. I think we should put the few kids who live here to some use and offer $1 reward for all returned collars. It could be like an egg hunt or a treasure hunt.

Well, fellow Lodgers, here and absent, I send my love and prayers and most of all, warm hugs to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  5. spacee

spacee Member

Guessing the bright sunlight on the hour ride to Lakeland yesterday wiped me
    out today. Think I woke up for good about 2pm.

Just as well, have an extra bit to do tomorrow with the repeat mammo. Not
    worried about it. I thought the last one was rushed through.

Pam, I read recently that caffeine helps with pain. So you might want to
    give that a thought as you become your son's right hand man! :) I have
    switched to diet coke permanently. Not a coffee drinker. Kinda wish I were.

"Love and Fatigue in America". A moving autobiographical novel. The author
    has published other books and teaches in Mass. The "fatigue" is CFS. This
    was noted in the New York Times. Since we have all had our own version
    of this in our lives, it may well not be interesting to relive. Twin gave me
    the info. By Rodger King.

The "Kids" want to buy year long passes to Legoland. That way they can
    go there in the afternoon and be back in time for supper. And since
    their time off is on the academic calendar, they can use the tickets at
    winter holiday time and spring break. (Be real careful what you hope for!)

And I will be on the look out for readjusted things around the house.

All of your homes sound lovely. I have our 2 room place picked out for
    when the time comes. I guess we have a little of everything except
    southwest. (Never been there but it looks beautiful). Ours is a midcentury
    (1950ish) ranch. Comfortable. And like you, Leah, thankful that it is a
    cozy place to be. (For me that is 'code' for "things could be worse'! LOL.)
    Main problem is very sandy soil. Huz wants me to buy pots to put the
    flowers in. He is tired of fighting with the sand. But agree, it's our things
    that make it homey though we are not crafters.

GD in Kentucky was taken to Lowes for 'Craft Time" for girls and boys about
    her age (5). They got a Lowe's apron and safety googles. They made a little
    planter and got two seedlings to grow in the planter. The planter and seedlings
    are coming on the plane cause they would not make it for a week alone. Mom
    called the airline to make sure it's ok.

Hope Leah, Barry, Rock and everybody feels better. And Jole (not her real
    name)And Mikie (her real name) :)

Spacee (not my real name either)

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

After a couple of gray days, it's nice to see the sun, blue skies and little clouds dancing along on the breezes. Both kitties have been in for a bit of cream. They are out chasing birds and other creatures. When they tire of that, they chase each other.

Leah, hope you feel better. I love crafting too but don't do a lot of it. I started scrapbooking just before Hurricane Charley hit and I had to dump all my photos into plastic bags and head for the inside bathroom. That evidently was a more traumatic event than I had thought because it was only recently I was able to deal with reorganizing the photos. Maybe now, I'll be able to scrapbook. I do assemble some jewelry but not much. I'm going to try painting tee shirts to go with some of my Capri pants.

Linda, I hope you have caught up and continue to feel better. In Atlanta, they have a Six Flags amusement park but J doesn't want to take Andy there. It's turned into a hangout for gangs and teens who look a bit rough. Kids who qualify get free passes and they hang out there every day in the summer. I guess it's better than having them hanging out in the hood with nothing constructive to do. I think Boys and Girls Clubs, and orgs which offer athletic programs, are a better alternative.

Evidently, after I left the pizza party the other evening, all hell broke loose. These parties start early, at 4:30 p.m., for our really elderly residents. One lady has a hard time being out early and late because of her asthma/COPD. The parties are held under the patio of our small pool house. Some woman, who could be anywhere between her 30's and early 50's, had been out in the sun all day by the pool drinking. She suddenly jumped up and started yelling that all Senior Citizens do is talk about other people and laugh all the time. She started cussin' out everyone and dropping the F bomb. Evidently, she has a drinking problem. A member of our board sent her a note that that kind of language isn't tolerated at the pool.

I made a typo and said that I would be the "long" person left on the balcony soon. I meant to type "lone." I'm not even a long person, only 5'4". I came up with something for our Pail List. Next year, I want to go shelling over on Sanibel Island and stop for lunch at Jerry's, a long-time little cafe on the island.

It's too bad that almost everyone is gone because there is a place down the shore where you can take kayak tours of rivers or the intracoastal waterways. They do instructions beforehand and group people by experience. My only fear is that I won't be able to keep up paddling so I want a short trip. Groupon just had a coupon for half price tickets. I don't know how many would want to do it. Like I mentioned, people in the hood aren't too adventuresome.

I don't think retirement means retiring from life, especially when we live in such a gorgeous place. One other woman wants to go roller skating with me. Some others said they would go to watch. I understand that many cannot do the physical things; I've only just gotten to the point that I can even imagine myself doing them. At least, many of them go over to the pool for mild water exercise. I will be glad when I can tolerate the sun and joing them. I call it The Cocoon Club."

I have to call the doc's office to see whether I can come in tomorrow or Wed. for my injection. I should go to the store but lack the desire to go. I'll wait until I run out of food :) BTW, the pot roast was delicious and I'll finish it off today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie
  7. spacee

spacee Member

Men may not want to read it. It might even make it's way into "things not
    discussed here. Like with religion and politics and mammograms. LOL

Ok, what got me started on this was that Huz was reading the paper (I think)
    and that the average cup size for a bra has gone from a C in the 1990s (or
    earlier) to a EE. That is a double E. And why they don't just call it F, is
    beyond me.

But can you believe that? C to EE.

So, while waiting my 'turn' I heard the tech call in another tech for assistance
    in getting "all of the patient's tissue into the machine". Well, what else would
    I think but, 'Hey, these have got to be EE's and have we come to the time we
    need larger machines". You would have thought the same, I am sure :)

Nope, I was wrong. It was an elderly woman, in a wheelchair accompanied
    by her daughter. The daughter was evidently holding her mother up in a
    standing position as best she could. But it wasn't enough. Hence the call
    for help.

So, the spot that was 'dense' on the last film is no longer 'dense' and I am
    free for another year.

Oh, how the hood stories crack me up. Mikie, hope you get to do all your
    pail holds!

I announced at yoga that I have a brother that I will give "free to a good home'.
    He is quite excited about not having to take care of a 95 yo ex mil. Some
    eyes brighten when I mentioned that he could repair a lot of things. He
    would like to have a 10 by 10 room to call his own. I will let you know if
    anything comes of it.

Leah, ((hugs)) and we care about you. We love having someone tell us how
    great we are :). Miss Sunshine. Hope you feel better soon.

Love all you kids so much!

Linda
  8. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I cleaned top to bottom.Trying to keep moving for the exercise plus all this stuff needs doing.Fall winter is worse for me so I'm trying to stay active as the Drs. say.

What I didn't plan on yesterday was being asked to watch the 3yr. old.Kids had to sign paperwork but I wouldn't have done so much if I'd known extra energy was needed.He was cranky from no nap though.

Today I get my haircut and we talk to the bank about construction loan.

I like the idea for the first pail list outing Mikie.I want to go.The skating count me out.I could never do it when I was young either.

Interesting about the bra size getting larger.Something in the water?
    What are you going to plant with your huz in your little garden plot Leah?I'm thinking about what I want to do in mine.Michele I can't think how you can garden like that.I wouldn't be able to get back up.I would be so uncomfortable with trying to reach around and stay upright.

Pam
  9. jole

jole Member

Linda, you had me laughing at the mammo thought. As a nurse, I remember an elderly lady in the ER....she had to have been a FF in her day. The poor thing now drooped to her waist, and watching her get them corraled back into her bra was quite the site. She had a fantastic sense of humor and you had to love her. A "B" is enough for me, thanks.

Glad your test turned out well, Linda. I know it's not easy to get any 'repeat' work done, but the relief is always worth it. I keep thinking every day I'm going to manage getting my lab work done......but hubby doesn't take me. It's overdue by 2-3 months and I've already gotten reminders. Have to be fasting, and hubs doesn't get home until between 10-12, plus another 30 minute drive to there.
    Probably just as well. Either everything will be normal, or 'abnormally normal'....lol.

Pam, you definitely are staying busy! It's great that you can, and I'm sure all the excitement of the house and move has got to give you extra energy. It would me, I think :) Hope it continues for you!

Mikie, not so sure if I could do the kayake. Well, I could, but my arms couldn't. Sounds like lots of fun though, and a novel idea. And roller skating would make anyone feel young again! Put those pillows on my butt and hips so nothing breaks when I hit, and I may be game for a few minutes...lol.

Leah, I wish you had a bigger space too. I admire your spirit soooo much, and wish I could be more content with life the way you are. I'm working on it.

Michele, sounds like your little gardening tricks work well for you. There's nothing more peaceful than being out with nature, is there? A total oneness, and a time of forgotten pain.

Yesterday we had a huge flock of orioles in our tree. They were beautiful, with their yellow-orange colored breasts and black bodies......but oh were they loud! I was amazed at the noise. Had never seen so many together before.

Time to hit the shower and try to bring the pain level down a notch. Sometimes it helps, othertimes not so much. Linda, I'm not ready to try the twice a week shower and 3 days in the same clothes....(although I can't say I haven't done it!). I'm old enough to remember the Saturday baths...lol. Don't know how we did that as kids! Later....
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Y'all know how Jole mysteriously got on my "ignore" list in my profile and I couldn't see any of her posts? Well, I came on and couldn't find any of my own posts. I went to my profile and I was on my own ignore list! I'm not doing anything to cause this but glad I now know how to get people off the list, including myself.

Leah, I also admire your attitude. Living with a natural decor is just perfect as far as I'm concerned and if one is blessed enough to have a cat or dog, so much the better. After my divorce, I had to move out of the house of my dreams into a one-bedroom condo. The divorce traumatized me so much that having to downsize so drastically was just another facet of the disaster of what had been my marriage. Then, the first weekend I was able to go down to the pool without having to worry about yardwork or housework, I realized that everything has a silver lining. I got used to condo living and am still living in one, ableit a bit larger than that first one. Learning to be grateful for what one has is a wonderful thing and you certainly bring that attitude to the Lounge.

Linda, I'm so glad the denseness is gone and everything is OK. My girls have always been adequate but have grown as I've aged. People always talk about cup size. I just always say I wear a 38 long bra. That is, when I have to wear one. Otherwise, I just give the girls their freedom. Aah! Comfort!

Wow, Pam, all that cleaning, exercise and babysitting too. You are a Goddess! I try to keep a clean place but it's always such a challenge. Between my kids' almost-unannounced visit and then the virus, it's catch as catch can. I have been trying to spend time with the folks in the hood before most of them have flown North. Frank and Ilona left this morning. I'll miss them. The New Yorkers across the street are mostly gone. We went out for dinner before they left. Enjoy your fresh, clean house.

Jole, I'll add you to the roller skating list. I haven't been in years but I think it's like the proverbial riding a bike. At least, I hope so. Speaking of which, I need to clean out my walk-in storage closet and check my bike. The tires are no doubt flat. I should ride it but last time I tried, my arms and shoulders hurt from the bumping along. I keep my skates, my skis and my bike in the eternal hope that, eventually, I'll be able to do more things. My Mom never felt better than when she was the age I am now.

Just had my 6th peptide shot. Doc has an intern working with him. He was telling the guy about how I came in with dry eyes and dry mouth and how my eyes watered and I salivated the first night of the first shot. I told them I was now able to wear my contacts. I love my glasses so much that I don't mind wearing them but there are times I like the ease of contacts. I can't get direct sun exposure yet but when I am going to be out in bright light, contacts work well with any sunglasses and I can still read.

Finally, another resident here went on an alcoholic rage last night. She yelled at our Kitties' daddy, Jeff, that she was afraid they would scratch her car. They do jump up on cars but don't use their claws and no one's car has been scratched. Jeff has penumonia and was so upset. He asked me if I would take the kitties and I said I would but it wouldn't stop their jumping on cars. He went home and confronted her and said he's finding a new home for the cats. She immediately came out of her rage and said she didn't want that. It was evidently some other cat in the hood which was the irrational focus of her rage. That cat, Bruiser, is so fat that he can barely walk let alone jump on cars. We can't keep the kitties inside because someone threw them out as kittens and they are used to being outside. Jeff, bless his heart, is allergic to them. They come in my condo but want back outside to play and hunt. The only time they stay long is when they exhaust themselves and need a safe place to sleep.

We have two drinkers who have settled down and are doing well. We evidently have two others who are in rampage mode. We have one angry person who is back on her AD's and is back to her old self. Finally, we have one who is very angry but no one seems to know why. Our FL Family is like any family and there is always someone needing prayers. Still, we mange to take care of one another and will always come together if needed. It's interesting but I, myself, prefer peace and quiet. Boring is good except for the occasional Pail List field trip.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day. I just had my breakfast following the injection and the required fasting. I have cut down on calories and feel better and my pants fit better. Still, after fasting for these shots, I need carbs big time so I always stop at Target and get breakfast rolls. Today, I got pecan sticky buns. Mmmmm. I also got some of those Lean Cuisine new snack meals. I'll let y'all know how they are. I bought a rib eye steak, the Laura brand. Her steaks taste just like premium steaks from a steakhouse. Again, mmmmm!

Target has lowered prices on a lot of things now that the Snowbirds have left. I got my Fit makeup from Maybelline for only $5.04. That's the cheapest I've found it. Sure beats the $22.50 I was paying for Clinique. This stuff is very sheer and, now that my skin is so improved, I can use it.

OK, time for me to go. I'm glad I figured out why I couldn't see my posts. I'm making up for lost time with this "War & Peace" post.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Y'all know how Jole mysteriously got on my "ignore" list in my profile and I couldn't see any of her posts? Well, I came on and couldn't find any of my own posts. I went to my profile and I was on my own ignore list! I'm not doing anything to cause this but glad I now know how to get people off the list, including myself.

Leah, I also admire your attitude. Living with a natural decor is just perfect as far as I'm concerned and if one is blessed enough to have a cat or dog, so much the better. After my divorce, I had to move out of the house of my dreams into a one-bedroom condo. The divorce traumatized me so much that having to downsize so drastically was just another facet of the disaster of what had been my marriage. Then, the first weekend I was able to go down to the pool without having to worry about yardwork or housework, I realized that everything has a silver lining. I got used to condo living and am still living in one, ableit a bit larger than that first one. Learning to be grateful for what one has is a wonderful thing and you certainly bring that attitude to the Lounge.

Linda, I'm so glad the denseness is gone and everything is OK. My girls have always been adequate but have grown as I've aged. People always talk about cup size. I just always say I wear a 38 long bra. That is, when I have to wear one. Otherwise, I just give the girls their freedom. Aah! Comfort!

Wow, Pam, all that cleaning, exercise and babysitting too. You are a Goddess! I try to keep a clean place but it's always such a challenge. Between my kids' almost-unannounced visit and then the virus, it's catch as catch can. I have been trying to spend time with the folks in the hood before most of them have flown North. Frank and Ilona left this morning. I'll miss them. The New Yorkers across the street are mostly gone. We went out for dinner before they left. Enjoy your fresh, clean house.

Jole, I'll add you to the roller skating list. I haven't been in years but I think it's like the proverbial riding a bike. At least, I hope so. Speaking of which, I need to clean out my walk-in storage closet and check my bike. The tires are no doubt flat. I should ride it but last time I tried, my arms and shoulders hurt from the bumping along. I keep my skates, my skis and my bike in the eternal hope that, eventually, I'll be able to do more things. My Mom never felt better than when she was the age I am now.

Just had my 6th peptide shot. Doc has an intern working with him. He was telling the guy about how I came in with dry eyes and dry mouth and how my eyes watered and I salivated the first night of the first shot. I told them I was now able to wear my contacts. I love my glasses so much that I don't mind wearing them but there are times I like the ease of contacts. I can't get direct sun exposure yet but when I am going to be out in bright light, contacts work well with any sunglasses and I can still read.

Finally, another resident here went on an alcoholic rage last night. She yelled at our Kitties' daddy, Jeff, that she was afraid they would scratch her car. They do jump up on cars but don't use their claws and no one's car has been scratched. Jeff has penumonia and was so upset. He asked me if I would take the kitties and I said I would but it wouldn't stop their jumping on cars. He went home and confronted her and said he's finding a new home for the cats. She immediately came out of her rage and said she didn't want that. It was evidently some other cat in the hood which was the irrational focus of her rage. That cat, Bruiser, is so fat that he can barely walk let alone jump on cars. We can't keep the kitties inside because someone threw them out as kittens and they are used to being outside. Jeff, bless his heart, is allergic to them. They come in my condo but want back outside to play and hunt. The only time they stay long is when they exhaust themselves and need a safe place to sleep.

We have two drinkers who have settled down and are doing well. We evidently have two others who are in rampage mode. We have one angry person who is back on her AD's and is back to her old self. Finally, we have one who is very angry but no one seems to know why. Our FL Family is like any family and there is always someone needing prayers. Still, we mange to take care of one another and will always come together if needed. It's interesting but I, myself, prefer peace and quiet. Boring is good except for the occasional Pail List field trip.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day. I just had my breakfast following the injection and the required fasting. I have cut down on calories and feel better and my pants fit better. Still, after fasting for these shots, I need carbs big time so I always stop at Target and get breakfast rolls. Today, I got pecan sticky buns. Mmmmm. I also got some of those Lean Cuisine new snack meals. I'll let y'all know how they are. I bought a rib eye steak, the Laura brand. Her steaks taste just like premium steaks from a steakhouse. Again, mmmmm!

Target has lowered prices on a lot of things now that the Snowbirds have left. I got my Fit makeup from Maybelline for only $5.04. That's the cheapest I've found it. Sure beats the $22.50 I was paying for Clinique. This stuff is very sheer and, now that my skin is so improved, I can use it.

OK, time for me to go. I'm glad I figured out why I couldn't see my posts. I'm making up for lost time with this "War & Peace" post.

Love, Mikie
  12. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Oh Mikie that is hilarious that you put yourself on your ignore list! So funny! You must have cracked up when you figured that out. Thanks for sharing that it made me laugh.

The mention of rollerskating brings back many memories of the days I could rollerskate but not stop! I'd literally have to skate into the walls to stop. I had this fear that if I used the front rubber stoppers, I would trip and flip over forward. Sort of a front wheelie! lol

By the time I read everyone's post and go to reply I forgot who said what. So I just send you all a warm hello and wish you a very good day.

Hugs,
    MicheleK
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That's funny about stopping. I can skate backward and it's much easier to stop on those toe stops in reverse.

There are two ways to remember who said what and what you want to reply. You can literally take notes on paper while you read--just short, on or two words. Or, you can use the back arrow up in the upper left-hand corner above the tool bar at the very top to go back and read each person's post. That can be tricky because if you don't just use it once and then use the forward arrow, you can lose the post. I often do this but highlight and copy what I've written so I don't lose my post if I mess up.

Love, Mikie
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Have been in absencia as the computer was in the hospital. Got it
    back last Sunday (2 days ago). I posted a note here to that effect, but
    I do not see same.

Found it by going to my profile. Unfortunately, I am using a computer
    at the library, and it will not let me cut and paste. Anyhoo, the repaired
    computer worked in a sluggish and generally recalcitant manner for
    about an hour and then crashed. Couldn't even get on the desk top.

Uff-da!

So it's back in the hospital. In the intensive care unit, I believe. Remember
    the Olympic skier with the giddy name of Peekabo Street? She has
    retired from skiing, and now works at a hospital in the intensive care
    unit. When she answers the phone she say, "Peekabo, ICU."

Well, the computer situation here is not what one would call the best. The
    computer does work, but it has no spellcheck. And it's located in an
    alcove with a burned out bulb. And there is no room to work. I am
    sitting next to two folks who are conversing loudly in Spanish.

How do you say "Uff-da!" in Spanish?

Will be back when I'm back. (We know that's true, because it's a
    tautology. All tautolgies are true."

Michelek, welcome to the porch. Used to do a lot of roller skating myself
    when I was a teen. That was over half a century ago. But skating is
    like riding a bike. Once you learn how to fall down, you never forget.

Rock

15. spacee

spacee Member

I don't see the arrow, Mikie, that lets me go back and read the posts.
    Hmm. Oh well, don't have the confidence that I would do it correctly (3)
    anyway.

Well, all this talk of Flowers and plants. It IS Spring here! Huz didn't get
    all the plants done so the gkids will help him. I think they will really like
    it.

Oh My, I just looked over at QVC and they are advertising Light Stim for Pain.
    Handheld LED Therapy Light. Quite expensive (of course) $162.72 or 2 easy
    pays of $81.36. I think that is equal to about 16 bottles of my pain pills.
    I'm not trying it. But was surprised to see it. I have heard of LightStim for
    face use (look younger).

Mikie,I am so happy to hear of your latest shot!!!!! I can't wait for you
    to be skating again. I never could skate backwards! One of my sons
    could. Looked like so much fun :)

Nope, no takers, yet, on my brother :). They probably have to think about
    it awhile. I mean, why wouldn't a group of ppl age 55 and older want a
    retired md living there. Not that he could treat them but he was an ER doc
    for a long time and could definitely help in an emergency. Which they do
    have there every year. Like clock work.

Then plans have changed. One dil and 2 gkids are not coming. And the
    Kentucky family wants us to stay in Orlando for a couple of nites. Got
    one of those "last minute deals" where there are 4 temperature controlled
    pools. I don't know how much I will be joining in but I will be there in
    body even if not awake. Seems to be all that they ask of me :).

I feel happy and content. I have noticed that a couple of hours after the
    Vit K (klonopin) are the best for me, usually.

Love you all and so glad to have our online Family! :)

Linda
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rock, I also find it difficult to concetrate when there is loud conversation around me. I have noticed that many who speak Spanish speak rapidly and loudly. I think it's just the culture. Of course, I'm generalizing here but I've lived amongst Spanish-speaking people all my life, so I have a pretty good amount of experience from which to infer. I hope you can get your computer fixed. These days, unless one has a very expensive computer, it almost doesn't seem worth it to spend a lot of money getting them fixed. I usually try to fix my own, even if it means downloading all the files I want to save and starting over again, downloading Windows and whatever else I want to have on it. I managed to fix my old laptop but it's just a slow old backup.

Leah, when I first got so sick that I couln't work and spent most of my time in bed, I got grief therapy. When we suffer a setback in our lives, we grieve for our old lives/situations. It's not much different than grieveing for a lost loved one. We can go through denial (I used this one to keep on working long after I should have quit), anger, depression, and sometimes, trying to negotiate with God. We finally work our way toward acceptance. Being in acceptance doesn't mean our grieving is over. It also doesn't mean we have given up. It just means we turn toward more positive ways to cope, like loving our animals, being grateful for wht we do have and doing creative things, like gardening. It souds as though you are handling life beautifully but that doesn't mean you can't stop to grieve now and then. "Of all the words of tongue or pen, the saddest is...it might have been." Sorry if I didn't get that one verbatim.

Linda, the little page-back, page-forward arrows aren't part of PH's software. They are part of your browser so are about as upper left-hand corner as you can go. If you go back more than one page, you may lose what you have entered and that is why I copy my work--in case I mess up. You can go back and fourth as many times as needed. Thanks for your good wishes on my shots and potential for doing some of my old fun things. I also feel better with the vitamin K or, in my case vitamin C (clonazepam :) I would love to go to Orlando and maybe, there would be one or two who would go if I put it on my Pail List. J and Dave took Andy but he just wanted to keep riding the same thing over and over. He's a bit spoiled in that they indulge him these kinds of things. If it were me, I'd just tell him lovingly that there were other people who wanted to do other things and it's only fair that everyone get some of what he or she wants. I've also seen those stim lights and wondered about them. I have one of the lights for skin. I had a rare breakout of acne and the blue light cleared it right up. I had been using the red one to stimulate collegen but started thinking that it might not be good for my skin cancer. I have to ask when I see the dermatologist.

Tweety stayed inside last night and slept on my bed. She was soooo happy. She woke up about 4:30 so I got up and let her out. She was rooting around and I figured she needed to go. I don't think I'll let her stay in again. Her brother worries about her when she doesn't show up when she usually does. Daddy Jeff is sick with pneumonia so he probably wasn't up and able to worry.

As y'all know, on injection day, I rest. Yesterday, I went out on the balcony to sit with Barb and another neighbor. Several other neighbors showed up for short visits with their dogs. Tweety sat at the top of the stairs and intimidated the dogs by staring them down. I didn't stay out long; it was very warm and humid. Think I'll just rest again today but still do some laundry. Tomorrow is another fast day for my labwork. After I had to cancel my injecton last week due to the virus, I was unable to reschedule the lab for the same day. Oh well, it's not that big a deal.

Hoping everyone has a great day.

Love, Mikie
  17. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I like that word.I had a good 3days of energy but yesterday my body said rest so I listened.Made it to my appts. but not much else.I'm thankful to get good days so making the most of them is satisfying.Watching the 3yr. old again for a couple hrs. this afternoon.I need to mentally prepare for this every time.He's a good boy but high energy.

I forget posts too and feel bad I forget to offer encouragement or sympathy a lot of the time.I used to take notes but there is never paper and pen nearby so that means I have to remember to get that.

I see the Dr. about weight tomorrow.I think I gained a couple lbs. but I'm not sure.His scale is different.My sister and DD didn't think I looked underweight when I was there.Skinny but not unhealthy.I'll just go and see what he says I can't predict what Drs. will say no sense worrying over it.

Hope you get good results from the injection Mikie.My neighbor plants asparagus.I love it but no one else here does.80's weather a couple days then 60's next week so to early to get to excited about putting anything into the yard.Linda's family get togethers sound so nice.I love having family time.Kids are spread out to far now but maybe in Sept. for DS wedding.

Pam
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is there a patron saint for electronic communications? Between Comcast and my phone, I may just drop from stress. I turned off my phone at the doc's office like a good little patient. Evidently, when I turned it back on, the SIM number didn't register and my phone has been inactive. After going in a loop at the TracPhone troubleshooter, I ended up just shutting off my phone and turning it back on. Duh! I should have done that first. What IS funny about the whole thing is that they give you a customer service number to call if your phone isn't working. What has happened to common sense and logic? No wonder old people and newcomers to the technology era just give up.

Pam, I'm glad you rested but am sorry your energy was short lived. Thanks for your good wishes. It's too soon to tell about the shot because I've been off my meds and can't take them til tomorrow. I love asparagus too but I like it drenched in either butter with lemon or Hollandaise Sauce. I steam my veggies in my steamer for 17 mins. That leaves them brightly colored and still a bit crisp but not overcooked. I hate limp, dark veggies. I cut the spears in two and eat the small ends. I put the large ends in the blender with some sour cream, shredded cheese (whatever I have onhand), and just a bit of powdered onion soup mix. I may also add some hearts of palm. Mmmmm.

OK, I've vented about the phone. I'll deal with Comcast tomorrow; as Scarlet said in "Gone With The Wind," 'tomorrow is another day.' Not sure I punctuated that correctly. Those skills are likely lost forever. I used to write and edit copy in my job. Like many others here, my mind is a shadow of its former self. Soon, they'll be calling me that old half-witted blonde on the balcony :) For all I know, they may be calling me that now. Next, it will be "village idiot." Oh well, it takes a village and every village has one. OK, done with my stand-up routine while sitting down.

Sending everyone my best.

Love, Mikie
  19. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Is growing asparagus difficult? I would like to grow some if it's not. That recipe for the ends sounds really good. I may give that a try. Do you use it as a dip?

Thanks for the advice on the note taking and back button Mickie. I use the back button but am always afraid I will lose my work. I will now copy it before I go back. I fear it will still take me some time to get use to reading and remembering who said what and what life belongs to who.
    MicheleK
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Leah and Michele, it's always my pleasure to try to say a helpful word of encouragement or how to make something work on the website. I am not particularly computer savvy, as evidenced by not even knowing we had ignore lists. Twelve years ago, our members took me in when I had just had to quit working and was soooo sick. People here are so good and I try to do my part whenever I can. Our members are so generous of heart and help.

I am fasting and have to go give blood here soon. I got up to a meat puzzle of what was left of a formerly live squirrel. Tweety was lounging on the stairs, proud of her hunting skills and happy to pay tribute to her love for me by bringing her kill for me to see. Good thing I'm fasting because after looking at the pile of large and small intestines, I have no appetite. The only reason I know it was a squirrel is because she left one foot. AACK!

Two days of fasting in one week isn't my idea of a good time but, considering all the illness and pain in the world, I shouldn't whine about it. I just can't help myself; I'm a whiner.

Gotta go. Will check in later. Love to everyone.

Love, Mikie