13 steps

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, May 27, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Or....also titled "How stupid am I?"

I had a pretty good day yesterday. Felt pretty good, was walking without difficulty, went out to dinner with DH (we haven't done that in months), got my hair cut, took the DP (dear puppy) out for TWO walks (!) and even thought I might be able to return to work sooner than 2 months from now (which is what my MD put on the last paperwork that he had to fill out for me).

So, as I was sitting on the couch last night I mentioned to my DH that I would like to check out the YMCA. We got 2 passes for a free month's membership. Being the good DH that he is, he said "sure."

I also decided that,since I was feeling so good last night, that I was going to feel that good for the rest of my life!! I decided that, starting today, I was going to wear a pedometer on my belt (by the way, it also fits very nicely on my jammies!) and work up to the recommended 10,000 steps a day. No problem, right?

So, I woke up this morning, all full of vim and vigor and was ready to give it hell. Then, I sat up and tried to walk! Holy cow! What a difference 12 hours makes! But, I was not deterred. I reached for my favorite flannel jammie bottoms (also referred to as my "I really feel like cr*p today" jammie bottoms) and clipped the pedometer on.

And, guess what? I've walked 13 steps so far today!!!

Thank you, thank you. Please hold your applause!! I know, pretty impressive! :)

When will I learn?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

can you hear the sound of my one hand clapping?

I measured what it would take to walk 10,000 steps just around my house... I can loop in and out onto porch and inside, if I don't want to go on the road;

Turns out for me it would take 1.5 hours of walking, predicated on how many steps I counted in a 15 minute block. Of course it can and should be broken up, but... you know what, I'd rather have the energy to dance it all off (being polite)....

Hope you feel better by tomorrow. I get those unpredictable days too, where I feel unbelievably 'normal'. Wish someone had an explanation for how/why that happens seemingly spontaneously, don't you?

3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Girl you crack me up! At least youre making a joke about it. Hang in...better days tomorrow. Youll get those 10,000 steps yet!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

In accordance w/ your request, I am holding my applause. Do those jammies of
    yours have feet in them?

I used to go the a 12 step program. Too feeble now. The 12th step is: Having had
    a spiritual awaking as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and
    practice these principles in all our affairs.

The 13th step, I was told, is having an affair w/ a fellow member. Not a good idea for
    two people who are addicts, emotionally fragile, otherwise messed up.

When I was a kid I would sometimes estimate how many steps it would take me to get
    to the end of the block, to the park, whatever. Got to be pretty accurate. I haven't
    thought of that for decades.

How many steps do we take a day? I looked at a couple sites. Estimates from 5,000 to
    10,000. Always remember: the longest journey starts with a single step. Unless,
    of course, you are a bunny.

5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

That whole step thing is for the birds. Come to think of it...birds hop. Like rocks bunnies.
  6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

.....4,928 so far!!

It didn't take me too long to start feeling good enough to take DP for a walk this morning. Did some running around with DH. Well, it was mostly sitting (in the car) and walking around (in a couple of stores).

Then, took the DP for another walk this afternoon.

Sidebar.....dammit, I'm having another hot flash!!!!

Anyway, I figure I've walked about half of what I used to walk when I was working. So, I guess that's not too bad.

Rock, I like the 12th step you mentioned. It's a lesson we all should practice.

As for number 13.............I agree!
  7. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I dont think ive walked that many steps in a week! In fact i know i havent. Thats great...you go girl!
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have a pedometer. I should look for mine and start wearing it too.
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have a pedometer. I should look for mine and start wearing it too.
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

These, I am told, are popular in England. The clues are very confusing to the
    American puzzle solvers.

"Pedometer" was the answer to this clue: Walking around St. Paul's cathedral
    (which is in London).

"Ped" is Latin for foot. St. Paul's has a dome and you can find "dome" in the middle
    of pedometer. Cute, huh?

The New York Times carried these puzzles for a while. Most Americans hated them.

11. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Rock - you may think you have AD, but you sure do have lotsa information to give us. I love learning new things and if I can remember everything, I sound really smart when I talk to people!

Just a little update.....didn't walk as far yesterday - only about 2800 steps, but I've already walked the doggie this morning, racking up 1,000 steps (0.061 miles, according to my pedometer!!) so far! I'm feeling good today. I'm gonna take advantage of it. I don't care how I feel tomorrow - I'm just going to enjoy today!
  12. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I'm continuing to feel better every day. Yeah, I still wake up achy some days but as soon as I "work it out" I feel somewhat better.

So.....decided to take the DD (dog) for a walk this morning. Put on my new Rocker sneakers and off we went. Just got back. We did .53 miles!! That's approximately 1,500 of my steps. I feel good! Hot and sweaty, but good.

Now I'll have to see if I pay for it later.
  13. spacee

spacee Member

Back when I started exercising. I could only do 5 minutes.

Yep, I would go to the Y and do 5 mins on the machines and leave. I would to this
    Mon-Fri for two weeks.

Then I could add 5 more minutes making it 10, then 15, then 20. That was the max
    I could do.

But if I missed a week, I had to start over at 5 minutes or I would crash.

I could do the same thing with swimming.

Of course, this isn't going to relate to you. You don't have CFS. I think CFS and FM
    are different in the exercise department.

Never mind.

14. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I think I like your idea better than what I've been doing!

And, yup......I'm payin' for it today!!