13 things you wish people would understand about chronic pain/invisible illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Alyssa-Admin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

I thought that this was a really good article that I wanted to share with you.

My friend and I wrote a book for young families about invisible illness - if an adult doesn't 'get it' how can a small child?

We understand things like casts, walking sticks, basically, the walking wounded. but when we are 'just' in bed, because that is the only comfortable place to be, and we get excited about a new pair of pyjamas....few people really and truly get it. Heck, sometimes I find myself questioning myself. My mother (who also has fibro) has the attitude of 'just get on with it'. (However, she doesn't have the issues I have with my neck...a whole other can of worms!). Anyways. Have a look at the link, comment, share....and have a good, pain free weekend!

A.xhttp://www.mtv.com/news/2061806/chronic-illness-wish-understood/?fb_ref=fbshare_web
  2. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

This is only partly related, but I wish people would stop asking what do you do upon meeting someone. I've always disliked the question from people I've just met.

Also, it's been years since I've been able to work, but I look normal and healthy and a bit young to be retired. When I say I'm retired, they ask what company did I retire from.

It's so uncomfortable. I don't want to go into my health history with people I've just met.

Some years ago before I visited Paris, I took French lessons at Alliance Francaise. My instructor was French, and I asked her if people where she grew up immediately asked people what they did for a living. She said no, that would be considered rude. That's the way I feel about it, too.
  3. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Hmmm... It's an interesting one... Very common here (UK) to ask what each other does... As it's an opportunity for opening further conversation. Gets a bit boring talking about the weather.