14yr old girl dies in uk after Cervarix cervical cancer vaccine injection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simpsons, Sep 28, 2009.

1. simpsons

simpsons Member

There was an article in the times in the uk last week of a girl virtually paralyzed by the jab.

This in the australian press

* Girl, 14, dies following Cervarix jab
    * Vaccine approved for use in Australia
    * Batch has been quarantined for testing

AUSTRALIAN parents have been told not to panic after a teenage girl died in the UK hours after being given the controversial cervical cancer vaccine.

The 14-year-old schoolgirl who died in hospital after receiving the Cervarix injection is the first reported death from the vaccine.

The batch of the vaccine used has been quarantined to test whether it is faulty or contaminated during production or distribution.

In Australia Cervarix has been approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration for use in females aged 10 to 45.

Australian Medical Association (AMA) president Andrew Pesce said Australia's school vaccination program used rival vaccine Gardasil. Cervarix was not funded by the Government in Australia and was only sometimes used in older women.

Mr Pesce said the schoolgirl's death was not a cause for panic.

"She could have died from a heart attack, the facts are still unclear, we need to wait for results of diagnosis and autopsy to see if this is a true vaccine related death," Mr Pesce said.
    Related Coverage

* In depth: Health and Lifestyle news
    * Teen dies after cancer vaccine jabHerald Sun, 29 Sep 2009
    * 'Don't panic' over cancer vaccine deathNEWS.com.au, 29 Sep 2009
    * Teen dies after cancer jabCourier Mail, 29 Sep 2009
    * Reader's Comments: Schoolgirl dies after cancer jabNEWS.com.au,
    * 'Boys should get cervical cancer vaccine'NEWS.com.au, 7 Sep 2009

Your Say

been there done that. do some research. high grade cervical dysplasia can be regressed back to normal healthy cells using diet, supplements and herbs and reducing stress. the virus ...

(Read More)

"If it is then we need to know what caused it and what the risks are."

Mr Pesce said the death needed to be kept in perspective.

"We are preventing hundreds of deaths by using these vaccines, the results may not show up for 30 years, but it is working."

According to PapScreen Victoria tests of the vaccine in Australia showed only minor problems. Some people have had a slight fever; others experienced redness or irritation on their skin at the site of injection.

But a check of the Cervarix product information from manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline reveals side effects such as muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and joint pain are as common as one in 10.

In the UK, where Cervavix has been chosen for a national immunisation program, the vaccination is under review after 1500 Britons experienced adverse reactions.

Girls have suffered paralysis, convulsions, sight problems and heat intolerance. Nausea, muscle weakness, fever, dizziness and numbness have also been reported.

Critics say the case highlights the risks of mass vaccination, because no testing regime can ever pick up the rarest and potentially most lethal side effects.

In a statement posted on the girl's school website, headteacher Dr Julie Roberts said during the immunisation, "one of the girls suffered a rare, but extreme reaction to the vaccine".

"A number of other girls also reported being unwell and some were sent home," she said.

"If your daughter has received a vaccine today we ask that you are extra vigilant regarding any signs or symptoms."

NHS Coventry Director Dr Caron Grainger offered her sympathies to the girl's family and friends.

She said: "The incident happened shortly after the girl had received her HPV vaccine in the school. No link can be made between the death and the vaccine until all the facts are known and a post-mortem takes place.

"We are conducting an urgent and full investigation into the events surrounding this tragedy."

Dr Pim Kon, medical director at GlaxoSmithKline UK said: "Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of the young girl.

"We are working with the Department of Health and MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) to better understand this case, as at this stage the exact cause of this tragic death is unknown."

Cervarix protects against two strains of human papillomavirus (HPV) that cause more than 70 per cent of cases of cervical cancer in women.
  2. jole

jole Member

"The results may not show up for 30 years or so"......good OR bad.......is it worth the risk to these girls? I for one am really against all these so-called needed injections. No one knows the long-term effects of this yet on these girls/young women's bodies, yet so many were jumpinng at the chance to take that risk.

This really upsets me, and I feel so sad for her family, who surely thought it was safe...................Jole
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

There will be many more deaths from those horror injections. And it will be years before the true damage is shown. They aren't helping anyone. Of course, they will continue to try not to blame the vaccine.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

In this instance, I would not recommend the vaccine not because of any potential side effect but because by getting regular pap smear tests, this type of cancer is very preventable and is slow growing.

However, we just do not know if the vaccination did in fact kill the young lady. Hopefully, we will find out soon.

Like the GB virus, deaths, illnesses always occur and some of these may just happen to coincide with the time you have the vaccination. It may have been that the person may have died even if not given the vaccine.

At this point in time there are no studies that show that the supposed side effects from vaccines are statistically significant. Of course any death is horrific and there are risks with any medical procedure. But it is important to weigh the benefits against the harm.

I think we need to wait and see before having a knee jerk overreaction whether this girl actually died from the shot.

At this point we just do not know.

ETA It sounds like the Australia government is being prudent with the quarantine on this batch of vaccine. Just in case.

This is a different vaccine that is presently used in the United States. What about Canada?[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2009]
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

As dangerous as I believe this vaccine to be, I will be surprised if it is listed as her cause of death. We'll see. These are not isolated instances. Just yesterday, I read this on a Muscular Dystrophy support board I belong to. Granted this is anecdotal, but I have read of many. I don't know if she also has MD or not. Here is what was posted on my muscular dystrophy board yesterday:

Open Question
    Show me another ยป
    HPV shot and numbness in my arms?
    i got my first two HPV shots (out of three) about a year and a half ago.
    i started noticing numbness is my half my hand, all the way up my arm to my elbow.

i told my mother about this and she wasn't worried at all, she wrote it off as them hitting a nerve. but after a year and a half, shouldn't it have healed?
    i also told my obgyn and she told me i really should get the third shot, despite the pain and discomfort the first two have caused.

i feel like its getting worse, as both of my upper arms started getting numb too. now both of my arms, and hands, the entire length of them, go heavy and tingly constantly. at least four or five times a day. at first its the same sensation as recieving a "dead leg", if you've ever had one of those. then they go complete pins and needles on me, like they're asleep. then they go numband i can't feel any textures with my fingertips.

i know it sounds weird, but its painful, and its happening multiples times a day.
    what should i do?

thanks in advance for any advice or information, i really could use all the help i can get.

* 1 day ago
    * - 3 days left to answer.

Additional Details
    sorry, i forgot to add that i'm 17 years old, i believe i got the second shot (my last one) shot when i was 16.

i didn't get the third because i was terrified, i thought i was becoming paralyzed or something.

1 day ago
    Answer Question

Report Abuse

* 0 stars - mark this as Interesting!
    Who found this interesting?

Be the first person to mark this question as interesting!
    * Email
    * Save
    o Add to private Watchlist
    o Save to Yahoo! Bookmarks
    o Add to My Yahoo!
    o Add to Del.icio.us
    o RSS

Answers (1)

Beth by Beth

Total points:
    103 (Level 1)

o Add to My Contacts
    o Block User
    i am shocked to find this as i have the exactly same problem you are telling me about . i rang nhs direct n they also said it was a nerve hit .. i only had my first shot a few hours after the vacine i had a strange feeling i had never felt before ... kind of like my hand had no circulation in it ... like if you sit on your hand for a long period of time and it goes dead .. i had tingling pins and needles numbness and pain in my hand .. elbow ( like when you catch your funny bone) ... and my wrist like where the joints are... it was the worst on the first night but now i find it difficult to type without my hand going funny and the feelings coming back .. it has been 2 week since i had the jab ... and i am soo worried ... it must be linked to the vaccine now if you have had it too because i thought i was the only one who got these effects after .. i only had the first vaccination and it is made me like this ... its awful !!!! glad i found someone with same problem as me though !!! im scared :( btw this feeling is only at one side where i got my vaccination
    my experience .. im 18 recieved only one shot of ceravix
    o 5 hours ago
  6. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Gardasil is approved for use in the USA & Canada. Its adjuvant (chemical added to the shot to boost the immune response) is aluminum salt.

Cervarix, the vaccination foisted on the poor gal in the UK, has the adjuvant ASO4. ASO4 is part metal, part lipid -- monophosphoryl lipid A. ASO4's reputation is that it is "more effective" in boosting immune response, however, side effect rate is significantly higher compared to Al salt adjuvant.

A variety of lipid adjuvants have been tried in recent yrs, in a number of research scenarios. Most haven't been sent out for approval. The common denominator with lipid adjuvants thus far is that they are far more toxic than previously used adjuvants.

I wish that this poor child had had the opportunity to live her life -- even at risk of contracting cervical cancer, depending on her lifestyle choices.

On Sept. 9, 2009, a US FDA review panel gave a favorable nod to Cervarix as "safe and effective." However, the final say has yet to come from the FDA.

Best wishes.