17 with FM & Chronic Fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moomoo, Nov 20, 2002.

1. moomoo

moomoo New Member

Hello-

This is my first time posting anything on the message board. I found this site a few days ago and have enjoyed reading all sorts of posts, finally people who I can relate to!! No one knows what this is or how it feels.

It took me 2 1/2 years and 7 doctors to get the correct diagnosis. I think the most frusterating thing is their is nothing they can really do other than offer some pain relievers and knowing I will always have this is scary. My mom is really afraid about me going off to college with next year and getting sick and no one being able to help me.

I just felt like writting some of my frusterations and fears down real quick, so thanks for reading!

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2002]
  2. moomoo

moomoo New Member

Hello-

This is my first time posting anything on the message board. I found this site a few days ago and have enjoyed reading all sorts of posts, finally people who I can relate to!! No one knows what this is or how it feels.

It took me 2 1/2 years and 7 doctors to get the correct diagnosis. I think the most frusterating thing is their is nothing they can really do other than offer some pain relievers and knowing I will always have this is scary. My mom is really afraid about me going off to college with next year and getting sick and no one being able to help me.

I just felt like writting some of my frusterations and fears down real quick, so thanks for reading!

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2002]
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Welcome to the board. As you already know you've found a geat place for support and education. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine having this at your age, although I have been sick since I was a small child, I didn't get CFS/FM til in my 20s (I'm 38).

I hope you find encouragement here in becoming your own advocate. I for one do NOT think this has to be a lifelong suffering, battle yes, but suffering no. At first, I didn't think this way, but the more I became educated on it (and the libary here is full of information)the more I was able to affect a change in my life. I'm not saying this is curable, but as long as I do the things I know to do (diet, supplements, meds) I often forget I have CFS/FM.

Again, welome to the board,
    Annette
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

MooMoo, glad you found our board. Sorry you are ill at such a young age.

We do have quite a few young members here, and hopefully they see your post.

Just wanted to welcome you, and don't feel that you will never get well, I am confident that at your age there will be a breakthrough and a cure will be found soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

Hi,
    My son is 17, also......I asked him a few weeks ago if he would correspond with others his age that I run across on the message board and he said yes. His e-mail is rosaflako@aol.com. Parents who have children with cfs are concerned when they leave home for college, and yes this disease is stressful because of the difficulty in knowing how to go about managing it . My older son 19, went away to college all last year. It was difficult but he got through it, and with decent grades, but he did get sick and yes, it was difficult, but he had good care at the college hospital. He did decide to take this year off and stay home and work.
    Well, thats not easy either! So he intends to go back to school next year, at a school thats closer, just a half hour a way. So, maybe plan on going to school thats close enough to get home if you need help.
    Sincerely,
    Nancy V.
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Glad you found this site! I am a 46-yr. old Mom w/FM, but I know there are others your age on this board & hopefully you will be hearing from them, also.

I only got this illness in my forties, so I can't imagine facing college with this dx, but I can only say, don't let it stop you! Try to take it easy whenever possible, try not to put in ridiculously long hours or be overly ambitious (like don't take too a heavy course load)---do the things that you can to take care of yourself. I had a lengthy bout with mononucleosis one semester when I was in college; when I returned to school, I came back armed with vitamins, and no matter how hard it was, I resisted the urge to go out late with my roommate & friends, instead getting to bed early every night. And I did manage to avoid a relapse this way. You might have to LIVE this way all through college, being extra-vigilant about proper rest & health, but go for it! Do you have the option of going to a college that's not too far from home? Maybe that'd put your Mom at ease knowing they were close enough to be a support for you, but you'd still have the independence of going away to school.

Good luck to you, MooMoo, welcome to the board, and we hope to hear how you are getting along at college & just in general!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Hi!
    It's really good to hear from another teen. I'm also 17 and have CFS and FM. I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago, but I've been sick for about 5 years.
    If you want to chat, feel free to contact me sk8_4_au@hotmail.com. Hope you're feeling okay.
    God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*