1970's We need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by p_fear, Apr 21, 2006.

1. p_fear

p_fear New Member

any of you remeber the 1970's My mind went blank.
    My son has a essay on the trends of the 70's and how they compare to today, like I said my mind went blank { not good years for me } Any help would be appricated
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Aaaah, those were the days. Love was in the air, hell, it was everywhere. Morally, my generation was pretty loose, at least those I hung with. My sister is the ONLY person I knew who didn't smoke cigarettes or pot.

I had a SMOKING PASS, so I could smoke in school. We could smoke in the West Wing Cafeteria and the West Wing bathrooms. Many of my generation were sexually liberated (translates, promiscuous). The girls wore SHORT, midrif baring shirts, and VERY low hiphuggers. I NEVER wore a bra. And this was acceptable attire for my school.

Prom colors for boys were Powder Blue, Navy Blue, ugh. Disco was in. Aaah, yes, those were the days. Men wore Polyester Suits. Called them Leisure Suits. YUK. They also wore a lot of Velour tops. (My brother in law still does) Long hair on guys was definately cool. And "Cool" and "Groovy" and "Far Out" were IN.

There seemed to be a lot of Disaster type movies.

Love Ins, Sit Ins, Demonstrations, were big. Abortion was (thankfully) NOT legal. Legal age for buying Alcohol and Cigarettes was 18. I don't think we had DWI laws them either. Anyone, know any facts on that?

I remember the BIG GAS SHORTAGE, and waiting in lines wrapped around the the block to get gas. There were only a few Import cars, most people owned a mid-size american vehicle. VW's were EVERYWHERE, and looked much like they do today. It cost me $4 to fill mine up. Aah, those were the days.

Well, those were truely the times of my life and I would go back in a heartbeat. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Anyone care to stroll with me?
  3. starmom

starmom New Member

I was 1 in 1970, somy memories are not of the kind that help most people. Ir emember in 78 catching a friends sister in bed with her bf, LOL!! I remember helping my dad fix an old car. I remember the music when I hear it. I rollerskated, wore halter tops, loved horses and books.

Not many other memories.

Susie
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Wow, you guys took me back to my wild child days!!

I graduated in 72 and everything you mentioned just really hit me!

If you didn't have straight hair you wore it long,parted down the middle, with bangs cut straight across and long enough to almost cover your eyes.

The bell bottoms the guys wore were often plaid or striped. They didn't seem to know that you didn't wear patterned pants with patterned shirts!

Every guy in high school, those who could, grew sideburns. Big like the fat Elvis!

We were Jesus Freaks, peace-nics, stoners.

It was ok to sneak out of school and drive to the next town to go to there pep assembly. Oh, yeah, pep assemblies were big. Football games meant spiking oranges with vodka and smoking under the bleachers.

We had drive in movies, but we had no McDonalds around here.

My junior year was the first time we were allowed to wear pants to school. Even then the pants had to part of an "out fit", preferrable with a tunic top that covered the back side!

I wore a homemade long blue jean skirt that I made out of two pairs of my brother's old jeans. I embroidered all over it and left the bottom unhemmed. It hung low on my hips and I was very cool!

This is fun! I was strong and healthy then, too. Maybe that is what makes it the good ol' days!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  5. p_fear

p_fear New Member

wow you guys thanks, its all coming back to me now, it is really fun to remeber some of the things. thanks keep them coming
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree.

Sue
  7. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

The Doors released their last album.... you remember those plastic things that went roun on a turn table lol.

LA Woman was their last one out in late 1970 and 71, Then the music died with Morrison when he died in 1971.

Nam was hot and heavy, I remember strange things since I was born in 72. I remember the news stories about POW's and the campain GET THE ALL OUT ALIVE. Too late by that part.

Things were more sanitized in Canada for news but it was on all the time. Seaseme Street came out and the Muppet show. MY FAVS! also Mr Rodgers.

Owl sunglasses were huge as well as popular because of Jopin trademanrking them. I still have a pair! When I want to get hubbys goat I wear them and a tie dyed dress and do my hair like Joplins on her Pearl album, gets him everytime! He knew her and got regular chances to turn her down lol. Not everyone believed in free love.

TYVM for a groovy trip man, think I will wander over and enjoy a lavender Ashbury haze.
  8. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Actually, I remember most what we didn't have (that we do today) back in the 1970s.

There were only a couple of channels on TV and no remote control (early 1970s). If we we were 'out and about' but needed to contact someone, we had to find a pay phone.

No e-mail, websites, Blackberries, iPods, DVDs, etc. A "CD" meant a Certificate of Deposit in a bank.

Computers were large cumbersome machines that were owned by businesses and educational institutions. These required keypunch operators to enter data and there weren't any desktops or laptops in common use.

Crock-pots were common wedding gifts: my husband and I were married in a small ceremony back in the mid 1970s and we received three of them.

Chrome and glass furniture was popular, though oak was beginning to make a comeback. Industrious individuals who considered themselves ahead-of-the-curve, bought run-down old homes then took on massive rehabilitation projects to bring them back.

No one made a big deal about drinking and smoking: you either did or you didn't. The government felt that what you did was your business as long as you didn't directly injure someone else (except for drugs). DUI laws were very slack.

While 'pre-marital relations' (as sex was politely called) were common, most young women who indulged used birth control pills. AIDS had not yet become rampant or well known.

The term "single mother" wasn't commonplace in our area, back then. Though more than a few unmarried couples we knew lived together, it was usually regarded that this arrangement would lead to marriage somewhere down the line.

Another memory from the 1970s was of gasoline shortages. Long lines formed at the gas pumps and there was a lot of panic buying. Since many of the cars were HUGE by today's standards (and less fuel efficient) waiting in line to get gas was both an ordeal and a routine.

That's about it for me. Thanks for the opportunity to wander down memory lane for a while!
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We got three fondue pots!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  10. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Thanks for mentioning the fondue pots, Greenbean. I'd completely forgotten about them - and those forks!

Hugs,

Janice
  11. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

They say if you remember the 70's you weren't there!!!
    Wow there is not much that hasn't been brought up. Did anyone go skinny dipping? Streaking? We used to hang out at Deep Creek (hot springs)and kick back and pass wine around, we even shared with strangers! Boy did I get some bad sunburns. We ditched school, hitch hiked....a little afternoon delight.

Listened to Rare Earth, Led Zepplin, CCR, Hendrix, Country Joe and the Fish, "San Fransiscan Nights" Eric Burdon. The Who, Moody Blues, ahhhh memories!
    This is good... I didn't think of pain for a few minutes.
    Sweet memories can be so good...
    Peace.....
    Cindy
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

My mind goes to 1969...man on Moon....we gathered around our TV's to see it. Panty Hose came out, patterned ones also, yet see through....nice to wear with your hot pants.
    When they got poplar I do not remember.

The Smother Brothers....Laugh in....(with giggley Goldie Hawn)....what was the name of the series with Rod (surname?) really spooky and such....
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

I think it was Rod Sterling (see previous post) and he had the Twilight zone.........wonderful TV show!

Guru shirts and jackets. Large mediallions on chains worn by guys. It was the time of looser people and all.

Gasoline was 33 cents a gallon. Diary Queen (ice cream place) you could get a soda pop or an ice cream cone for 10 cents. Both small size.

I remember my mother being stunned that resturants atarted selling hamburger sandwiches for One Dollar. Cottage cheese use to come in a small side dish with lettuce under it.

Soda pop came in bottles.Five cent deposits had to be paid on each bottle. Of course we could redeem them and get our money back. Bottle being filled would be washed and sterilized and refilled and capped.

No place in NW Ohio sold Pizza shells premade or Italian sausage. No one heard of either. Many food products were not heard of or was at the grocery store to buy.

I remember hamburger going up from 59 cents a lb. to 79 and then 89 cents a lb. A gallon of milk was around the same price. Sometimes there was sells of 10 cans of veggies or pork and beans for $1.oo. Chicken sell would be 19 cents a lb. once in a while.
  14. ripebear

ripebear New Member

don't forget the massive sitins on college campuses. remember kent state?
    i went to catholic school, so i got stuck in a uniform. yuk.
    rock was in in the early 70's. heavy metal was big. i also loved john denver.
    disco polluted the airways in the late 70's i graduated from hs in 76, and did the hustle at my prom.
    long gas lines and the end of the vietnam war. also the cold war was very big. racial rioting started. (i'm from nyc originally)
    fun