1st big amalgam removed - odd experience....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CelticLadee, Sep 23, 2003.

1. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi everyone,
    Yesterday as some of you know, I had a huge amalgam removed from the last molar left lower bottom jaw. The dentist did numb it very well as my jaw, lip & tongue were numb for 3 hours. The procedure took 2 hours. Ugh.

The odd experience I had was that inspite of the numbing I could feel a nerve? like an electrical charge going from the tooth he was working on, down my left side of neck and lastly hitting the site below my left collarbone where I have had chest pain & heart palpitations chronically for over a year. I didn't say anything to the dentist because my mouth was full at the time and later I thought he'd think I was weird if I told him. Nothing he'd know about anyway I'm sure.

What is interesting is that so far I haven't had any chest pain in that area since or heart palpitations either. I just hope it doesn't come back. Feels great!

Do you think this was a stream (so to speak) of the mercury poisoning or bacteria or would you think it is some electric/magnetic field trouble?? I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

I am rather fatigued today with slight headache and am taking it easy but otherwise I feel pretty good. I am looking forward to getting the rest of these amalgams out soon. Two on Oct. 13th and the last two on Oct. 27th.

Drinking tons of water today - have downed 48 oz. already since I got up.

I'll check back after my nap to see if you have anything to say about this odd experience.

My best to you,
    CelticLadee
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi, did you have any palpitations with the odd feeling? Sometimes when the dentist numbs you especially if he uses a lot, if he hits a vein (very unlikely) the anesthesia can cause palpitations. (I used to work in dentistry years ago when I had a real life).

I am having all my amalgams removed like you. I have two done and eight more to go.

I hope you're feeling better.

Good wishes,
    Michelle
  3. ranger

ranger New Member

Please define for me and possibly others.
  4. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

They are the metal fillings in your teeth. Those of you that are having them removed are very brave! I'm terrified of dental work and it seems that whenever I have one thing done, something else happens. It would be just my luck to have mine removed and have to have root canals in all of my teeth!
  5. ranger

ranger New Member

Thanks for telling me what they were. I'd never vountarily have dental work either. Everytime I have to go, I get into a flare. I also have TMJ and that goes nuts. Celticlady, I have no idea what happens to you, but it sounds like dentist hit a nerve for sure. Who knows, maybe the analgam caused your pain. If it hurts later again, I'd pass this info to the dentist. Maybe they know what might have been the connection. Good Luck.
    Thanks Goo Goo.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2003]
  6. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi again everyone,
    No I didn't have any heart palpitations during the procedure. That would have been unsettling with everything else for sure!

The molar he worked on hurts like the devil if I bite down on it. What is freaky is now the two amalgams on the lower right jaw are suddenly cold sensitive. About jumped out of my chair when I took a drink of cool water.

Like you said it is pretty tricky having dental work done. All sorts of strange things start happening to you. But I must get this amalgam out as I am convinced it is causing me troubles.

My ND told me that these nerve experiences are a good sign of mercury poisoning as the mercury attaches itself to the nerves. Great huh?

I am on a lot of anti-oxidants to help rid me of it and like I said earlier I am drinking tons of water.

When I get done with ALL the amalgam removal I may take alpha linoic acid to help rid my system of any mercury if it is safe to do that.

Blessing to you guys for your input.

CelticLadee
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are a lot of nerves in the face and mouth. Just about anything is possible. After major work on the teeth, it takes some time for everything to settle down. Hang in there as you may temporarily experience all kinds of sensations.

Love, Mikie
  8. libra55

libra55 New Member

Yes, I was sore after I had the second one done. That lasted about a week, and I was beginning to get nervous that I wasn't healing correctly but then things began to feel better. As I said this was my second one to be removed. I had the first one done last year and capped with a gold crown. I didn't have as much trouble with that one as I did with this one. The mercury filling was actually cracked and some of it had fallen away out of the tooth, Lord knows where it went (probably into my body). This one is porcelain crowned now. I have not needed root canal (so far) but I have more teeth to go. I am going slow with it as we have no dental insurance and we are paying out of pocket for this but I felt strongly it needed to be done. I also wonder sometimes if because I have so much dental mercury this is why I have a child who is mildly autistic. I have read there is definitely a link between mercury and neurological disorders including autism.

I hope your sore mouth has simmered down; I'd just avoid anything really hot or really cold for now.

Peace and blessings,
    Michelle
  9. satwell

satwell New Member

Do you possibly have mitro valve prolaspe? If the filling was cracked or leaking there would surely be bacteria present and would be stirred up by the removal. If any regurition of the heart valve should take antibiotic before any dental procedure. Also the tooth itself has it's own nerve in it called the pulp and if the filling was deep can cause sensations and if exposed would require a root canal procedure. If possible depending on the tooth structure the dentist could maintain a sterile field by placing a rubber dam on the tooth during removal of old filling and while placing new restoration.

Just an old Assistant,
    S

10. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

But that wonderful sensation sounds like a connection restoration to me.

The mercury must have been interfering with the nerve transmission, and removel has allowed it to function properly. Lucky it hadn`t caused permanent damage.

The mercury poison attatching to nerve function could cause all manner of problems.

I`m so glad you have experienced an improvement already, just proves it was the seat of some of your symptoms. - Worth every penny.

When I had a filling replaced last year I couldn`t bite on it for a month, - just like normal now.
    It takes time for things to settle down, strange the other teeth have become sensitive, maybe it`s part & parcel...

But thank you for sharing this with us, all this just facinates me.

Take it easy, relax and well done you,

Love Pat.
  11. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi all.

Mikie - you are right that things will settle down. Feeling so much better today already. Thanks. The tooth worked on hurts like h*%$ when I bite on it but I understand it should get better in time.

Michelle - Good grief! You & I know exactly how it is paying out the pocket for dental work. It is worth every penny for me but it is so hard on the savings account and budget. This was my last crown needed the rest are fillings thankfully. Hubby is next though and he needs 2 or 3 crowns and lots of fillings replaced, etc. OUCH!

freshair - Yes, I had a dam, good suction, good ventilation system in room ( I had to have a blanket over me it was so cold ) & I wore a eye shield too.

satwell - No MVP was found but I am on olive leaf extract for precaution. It'll kill the bacteria.

PatPalmer - Exactly it I'd say. I cannot believe how good I felt this morning. I sleep great last night and woke up feeling well. (highly unusual for me) Then I went shopping for 2 hours with no fatigue! Something has definitely changed in my system. I don't think the other small fillings I am having replaced will have this dramatic of an effect but am looking forward to being amalgam free. That very old huge amalgam I had removed last Mon. must have had a leaky direct line to my chest/heart area. It just feels so much better in there! It is so amazing! I plan to do gentle chelation when I am done with the amalgam removal Oct. 27th. I am excited & feel I am going to improve over the coming months from this treatment. There is definitely a connection.

I have been reading about chelating and don't want to do any of the dangerous awful ways some recommend. I want to do it the most natural & safest way. I read that NAC and ALA are good for this. Do you have any good information for me on this? I know you are really busy so please don't feel you have to answer right away. I'd be very interested to hear what you know about it. Thanks for your help.

Thank you everyone for your input. You are all special to me and I value your messages very much. Blessings upon you!

My best to all,
    CelticLadee feeling good!
  12. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

It`s just wonderful to have some of the old 'you' back,(maybe not so old) i`m so excited for you, just the best feeling in the whole world right now.

I sleep well and get up without even thinking about it now - so normal again. I`ve been on Flaxseed Oil 4 months now and swear it`s contributed to my better health.

So yes, I love the properties of ALA Alpha-Linolenic Acid = Essential Fatty Acid = Omega 3 = Flaxseed Oil amongst some) Just defining down for anyone who has trouble understanding what ALA is...

I have this interesting article, I think it`s perfect for chelating (getting rid of metals) so could be all you need:-
    The body doesn`t need much to be efficient - just given the right stuff.

Happy reading... Love Pat.

Superior Antioxidant Properties of ALA

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), a vitamin-like substance found in foods and produced by the body in limited amounts, may be the most valuable of all the antioxidant nutrients. In addition to neutralising both oxygen and nitrogen free radicals, ALA has been studied for its ability to actually repair oxidative damage, to regenerate other antioxidants and chelate excess metals. ALA is one of many substances produced by the body in large quantities in young people, but production declines with ageing. Health conscious individuals may inadvertently limit their intake of this important nutrient by reducing their intake of red meat, one of the richest dietary sources of ALA. Lipoic acid deficiency has been linked to muscle wasting, brain atrophy and increased lactic acid accumulation. Lower serum levels of Lipoic acid are frequently found in patients with cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes and heart disease.

ALA Works in Both the Watery and Fatty Areas of the Cells
    Unlike other antioxidants, ALA is both hydrophilic (water soluble) and lipophylic (fat soluble), enabling it to act both inside the cell and in the intra-cellular spaces. Because of its universal solubility, ALA is able to neutralise both hydroxyl and singlet-oxygen free radicals, two of the most dangerous types, wherever they are found. It works to prevent free radical damage regardless of whether it is in the brain fluids, blood, stored fat, the heart, pancreas, kidneys, liver, bone or cartilage. Its protective effects extend to virtually every cell in every organ and tissue. The addition of Bioperine® to Alpha Lipoic Acid insures enhanced uptake and bioavailability.

These characteristics enable ALA to easily cross the blood-brain barrier and increase brain energy It has been shown to improve long-term memory in aged mice, probably by preventing free radical damage to cell membranes. Other studies support a neuro-protective role against various chemicals.

ALA - DHLA: Two Antioxidants in One
    ALA supplements actually give you two antioxidants in one. As ALA does its work, it is reduced to Dihydrolipoic Acid (DHLA), another important antioxidant that can deactivate peroxyl and other types of free radicals. When DHLA is oxidised, it reverts back to ALA. The molecule goes back and forth automatically in the body accomplishing many important and beneficial functions.

DHLA Regenerates Other Antioxidants.
    In order to deactivate free radicals, antioxidants must give up an electron. Therefore, their effective 'life' is limited. DHLA is able to restore the missing electrons and extend the life of other antioxidants. It replenishes Vitamin 'C' and indirectly recycles Vitamin 'E' so that those antioxidants remain active longer. Supplemental ALA also helps maintain a normal ratio of reduced to oxidised Co-enzyme Q10. In addition, ALA and DHLA provoke the cell to produce significantly higher levels of Glutathione the indispensable cellular antioxidant synthesised within the mitochondrion.

Protective Effect of ALA on the Liver.
    Burt Berkson, M.D., Ph.D., author of 'The Alpha Lipoic Acid Breakthrough', believes ALA to be an excellent therapeutic agent for many types of liver disorders. In his book he describes how administering intravenous ALA saved the lives of four people who suffered severe liver damage after eating poisonous mushrooms. Two weeks later the patients' liver function tests were normal and they felt fine. In-vitro studies indicate that ALA may be beneficial to patients with acute and chronic alcohol toxicity. ALA is also an effective chelating agent for mercury, arsenic, copper, excess iron, cadmium, excess calcium, zinc and lead. Excesses of these metals can overwhelm the liver's detoxification system, increase free radicals and oxidative stress, and cause serious damage to tissues and organs.

A Coenzyme in Sugar Metabolism
    ALA also functions as a coenzyme in sugar metabolism. In a study of adult diabetic patients, ALA increased cellular uptake and burning of glucose by approximately 50%. In two double blind, placebo controlled trials, ALA significantly reduced symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy (pain, burning, paresthesia and numbness) in the feet and improved cardiac autonomic dysfunction in insulin dependent diabetics. In both lean and obese diabetic patients, ALA also prevents hyperglycemia-induced increments of serum lactate pyruvate levels and it increases insulin sensitivity and glucose effectiveness.

Muscle Strength and Energy
    ALA speeds the body?s breakdown and burning of sugar, which occurs primarily in muscle cells. Efficient burning of glucose is essential for normal muscle energy. A 33-year-old woman who suffered a genetic defect affecting cellular energy production was treated with ALA. glucose uptake, glucose burning, muscle-energy metabolism and muscle strength increased, as documented by laboratory tests. Since ALA can increase energy levels in muscle cells, it may be valuable in sports nutrition and weight control.

Cardiovascular Health
    Because of its antioxidant capabilities and its ability to boost Glutathione production and recycle other antioxidants, ALA can also play a role in cardiovascular health. Both ALA and DHLA are extremely powerful for deactivating peroxynitrite a particularly dangerous type of free radical formed by combination of superoxide radicals and nitric oxide. It contributes to the development of Atherosclerosis, lung disease, neurological disorders and chronic inflammation, such as that associated with rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease. Ischemic reperfusion injury results from the large number of free radicals generated when blood flow is restored after surgery. ALA treatment before and after reperfusion can lessen or prevent such injury to the heart, brain and peripheral nerve tissues.

Immune Function Support
    In a pilot study, supplementation with 150 mg of Lipoic acid 3 times a day was shown to increase plasma ascorbate, Glutathione and T-helper cells and to optimise the ratio of T-helper cells to T-suppressor cells. Other studies have demonstrated that Lipoic acid also helps to inhibit HIV replication by decreasing the activity of reverse transcriptase. Apoptosis (programmed cell death) is triggered by cellular oxidation and can be prevented.

Cataracts
    Based on animal experiments, ALA may have value in preventing cataracts that are caused by oxidative stress in the lens. Since ALA is both water soluble and fat-soluble, it can get deep into the eye tissues and destroy free radicals that cause protein changes resulting in cataracts. Animals given chemicals to induce cataracts had a 60% reduction in cataract formation when treated with ALA.

Radiation and Chemotherapy
    Russian scientists who treated children exposed to radiation after the nuclear incident in Chernobyl reported ALA, used by itself or with vitamin E, to be an effective treatment for radiation poisoning. They noted that abnormal liver and kidney functions were also corrected. ALA has been shown to protect the bone marrow of mice from radiation injury, has been reported to neutralise the toxic effects of radiation in animals and to alleviate the harmful effects of cancer chemotherapy in humans.

13. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Pat - Thank you so much for your words of celebration. You DO understand how uplifting it is to have some more of "the old self" back. I have been somewhat giddy at times over it.
    You just want to shout it from the housetops..."I'm feeling some normalcy here everyone!" What a breath of fresh air it is and well needed after some troubling times.

Now I'll try to get my feet back on the ground for a moment and express my gratitude for the alpha lipoic acid article. It is very excellent and I saved it and printed it. I want my hubby to read it as it will do him good to see how beneficial the ALA will be so he understands it all too. Thank you so much for posting it - taking the time to do it during your busy schedule. You are wonderful!

Aum - Oh yes, my goodness...there are two ALA's. Good of you to bring that up. I have been taking flaxseed oil for several months, as Pat said it is so beneficial to our system. It is the one of the first things my ND put me on.

I would never take the alpha lipoic acid with amalgam in my mouth. You are absolutely right on! I see it listed in so many treatment plans & vitamin mixtures for us and always cringe when thinking of all the unsuspecting individuals that may take it without knowing this. Oct. 27th I will be amalgam free and am planning on using this ALA to chelate. I am researching to make sure I come up with a good plan then when my ND advises me I will be knowledgeable and can critique my treatment. I find no doc has 100% knowledge when it comes to treating us and I want to know more than they do if possible so I don't get myself into more trouble trusting them. I have avoided many pitfalls this way.

I have read that if you don't chelate for long enough it can be bad for your system. The mercury doesn't get moved out just relocated. I have also read if you don't use the correct combination of chelators it isn't good either. I think I have a lot to learn in a short time. Better get back to reading.

If anyone has anything more to share about chelating I would be very glad to read your posts on this subject. I will start now by doing a search here to see what others have said in the past.

Thank you so much.
    Blessing upon you,
    CelticLadee
  14. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

aum - Thanks for the website idea. I will check on it.
    btw - my ND told me I would be better off with the flaxseed oil because your system would get an overdose of vitamin A with the fish oil. I have tried both though. Since I eat fresh wild salmon and sardines several times a week I decided the flaxseed oil would be preferential.
    My best to you,
    CelticLadee

[ advertisement ]