1st Rheumatologist Visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I will be going to my first rheumatologist visit next week and I am a little nervous because I don't know what to expect. Will someone clue me in on what will probably happen or if there is something very specific I should tell him? He already knows my FMS Dx.

2. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

hi rockismom,

Your first rheumy visit should be pretty easy since you have already been dx'd with FM. As in all dr's appt's - the usual: blood pressure, heart rate, weight, height, list of meds and any particular complaints.

My rheumy tested some of my tender points and also my range of motion - basically in my arms and legs. My complaint was specific pain in small joints - so she ordered some blood tests and some xrays. She also offered up pain medication.

Actually - my visit was a very pleasant experience. So...don't be nervous. I think many rheumys "get" FM.

3. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I don't know why I am so nervous about this visit. I've been to more doctors than I can remember. (Like most of us here!)

To be honest I think it is probably because I am hoping he will see and agree that it is time for me to hang up my hat here at work - I think deep down I may be more nervous about that! I have a friend who has begged me to see this dr. for almost four years now and others tell me it's time. I hope they are all right in nudging me in this direction. We will see.

Thanks again,

[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  4. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

dear rockismom,

Please keep in touch and let me know how your appt went.
    I have also had to "hang up my hat" when it comes to working...so I know exactly how you must be feeling.

Hope all goes well.

5. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Indeed, I will be back Wednesday evening to let you know how things went for me.

Thanks for your concern!

6. mje

mje New Member

It has been lots of years.. and I had not been diagnosed
    with FMS. I tell you he gave me a good physical including looking over my hands and feet..very carefully. Did some tender points, and just inside of my knee I nearly flew off the table. I had no idea it was so tender there..tho
    I had a lot of overall aching and big time low back pain.
    Had not had any definitive blood work for a while, so that
    was ordered. Next visit he gave me diagnosis. I later recommended a friend to him, and she said she had never had such a good physical exam. Hope you are lucky to find your appt. good. I doubt you need to be apprehensive.
    I do appreciate this board although I do not come here often. MJE