1st time I made a sherpards pie

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tandy, Sep 7, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

so easy and soooooo good~
    I think mine was yer basic recipe tho. nothing fancy,... I don't ever wanna overdo myself :)

any other EASY one dish/ casserole recipes to share??
    with fall on us I love a hot easy meal.

just trying new things cause it seems like I make the same ole things week after week~
    (if anyone wants me to list my recipe just ask)
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I fried my hamburg and diced onion together
    a little salt & pepper to taste

then drained the fat off,and added a half can of diced tomatoes,a can of mixed veggies. I then used canned gravy (I told ya I want easy!!)
    I mixed all that together and spead it into a casserole dish.
    Then topped it off with real mashed pototoes/sprinkled w.paprika.
    then bake it till bubbly at 350 degrees

(I heard you can use instant potatoes too)
    I just like the real thing when it comes to my tators :)
    I think you'll like it.

My kids went nuts!!
    and they are picky eaters.

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

So........What happened to the other half can of diced tomatoes?:)

Sounds delicious. I love shepards pie. I Probably would use corn instead of mixed veggies....but all sounds good.

Oh, I'd be tempted to put some garlic in also, though I'm tempted to put garlic on most anything!

I think a "tamale pie" can be good too, though I don't have a recipe. Think it has hamburger, corn, some sort of mexican spices, and topped with corn meal or mashed potatoes or both. Maybe some olives and cheese on top.
    Recipe anyone?

Oh, sometimes I like to sprinkle parmesian cheese on top of shepards pie. Getting hungry, your mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2008]
  4. therealmadscientist

Think I've mentioned before, but scalloped potatoes a favorite for me.

Just slice, chop up, some pototoes,some ham, and some cheese....usually sharp cheddar. And throw into pan/pot.

(Then, I usually have to find another pan also, because I chop up too much no matter how big a pan I originally plan on making.)

Pour in milk to almost cover and bake. Probably about 350F. Some strips of cheese on top usually melt nicely.

Every once in a while, stick potatoes with a fork to see if soft and cooked.

(Only thing I've really done wrong is too overcook so that all flavor escaped and vanished.)

Bon appetit, mr Bill
  5. therealmadscientist

Was just looking at all the ways to spell "Sherpa's" pie.

Shepards and Sherpa's are herder people I think...wonder how words are related.
    Sherpard's pie, shepard's pie, shephard, shepherd,............oh, well,..... please forget I mentioned it. mr Bill
    must be a slang or a contraction of sheep herders pie.

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2008]
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I suppose instead of the can gravy (its crap I know)
    maybe we can add water and beef boulion, then thicken ??

adding a pinch of garlic sounds yummy too!!

most shepards pie recipes on the internet DO list grated parm. cheese on top,... but I did'nt have any :(
    maybe next time.

I'm still waiting for that huge ship of mine to dock :)
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Tandy,

Years ago when all my kids were home and I had to feed everyone including my FIL I used to also make Shepards pie. It sounds rather similar to yours except instead of the gravy I think I used canned tomato soup, instead of the canned tomatoes. I forget what else I might have used. It was very simple with hamburger meat,, veggies, the soup, spices and topped with the mashed potatoes (my favorite food). I STILL cook with canned soups !! Yes, I still like EASY with few ingredients. The canned gravy does sound like a good addition also.

BTW, I would guess one can of the tomato soup. If you are making a large casserole you might need two cans.. You might also want to add a little bit of water to the soup. I think I might have also added a little bit of worchestershire sauce to the soup but you do not have to use it. However, to much water might make it watery, just experiment. Sorry, but I do not measure alot of ingredients.

Thanks alot.

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2008]
  8. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Tandy et all,
    I make Shepherds pie basically the same way. It's very tasty!

Other easy pie I make is Chicken or Turkey pot pie.

Premade pie shells
    add cooked chicken/turkey
    1can cream chicken or cream mushroom or cream celery soup
    a little milk
    some cooked cut potatoes (boil some 1 inch cut potatoes)
    add frozen or canned vegies (peas, corn, greenbeans,carrots)
    I also add some curry powder-yum!
    mix it all up, put in the pie crusts and bake until golden brown. Very easy and so good, a great way to use up left overs!

another very easy goody- chicken teriaki bowls

cook rice (any kind works but I like Jasmine rice best)
    using a skillet-
    cook chicken, onions in olive oil
    when almost cooked add a small amount of soy sauce
    when fully cooked put in bowl add in bottled teriaki sauce

I would love to hear others quick and easy dinners!!!!
    Like Tandy my kids, husband and I get sick of the same old dinners. I like winter best since I can cook more hot meals. I also love to make stews and soups and have some really good recipes for those too.

9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

BTW- I've always seen it called Shepherd's Pie.......

Here is an untried recipe for Tamale Pie. I have made another version, but couldn't find it just now.

Tamale Pie
    1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
    3/4 c. yellow corn meal
    1 1/2 c. milk
    1 egg, beaten
    1 pkg. chili seasoning mix
    1 t. salt
    1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
    1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
    2 1/2 oz. can sliced ripe olives, drained
    1 c. cheddar cheese, grated

Directions: In skillet, cook meat until crumbly; drain. In large bowl, mix corn meal, milk and egg. Add drained meat, dry chili mix, salt, tomatoes, corn and olives. Pour into crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Sprinkle cheese over top. Cook another 5 minutes.

I think my recipe had a layer of cornbread mix over the top instead of all mixed in, but this sounds easy and good.

10. tandy

tandy New Member

good ideas!!
    I'm so hungry~

don't ya just hate it when ya read a good sounding recipe and your lacking an item?? uuuuggghhh
    That pot pie sounds great!!
    thats what I wanna try next.
    (gotta get the pie shells) homemade pie crust is waaaaaay out of my league!!

Thanks for more yummy dinner ideas,

wish I did'nt throw out that half can of tomatoes :(
    hugs all.,
  11. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I love getting new EASY recipe ideas. I am going to start one, maybe you guys could put your recipes on the new one too.