1st Trimester Preg. with Fibro and Arthritis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SkiCharm, Jan 4, 2006.

1. SkiCharm

SkiCharm New Member

Hi all, I have yet to post on this site. I am not new to the website, but recently I have found a litle more time to reflect on what is going on with my body.

I was dx'ed in 2000 with FMS... but with medical history and charting my syptoms I learned that it developed at age 20..I am now 36. I have had Arthritis since I was 12 and was dx'ed with a Thyroid disorder also in 2000.

So I've had five years to work with this challenge. I was married last Fall '05 and now we are expecting our first child.

I conducted a lot of research and spoke to a neonatologist before we really tried to conceive. I went off all medications over the past 6 months, very tough.

Yesterday was the first day I was in bad shape as far as pain was concerned. I really did not have anyhting to take for pain. So back to the drawing board to find something that can at least help take the edge off and still be safe for 1st Trimester pregnancy.

Anyone else expecting please share your experience. Thanks.
  2. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I cannot imagine being pregnet and having what we have! I hope everything goes well for you. My kids are 17,16,20. I also have fibro and arthritis and a few other things. I had difficult pregnacies so can't imagine going thru that now! I didn't have the fibro or arthritis at the time. I will pray for you.
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

How exciting to be expecting your first baby. I wish you well.

I was having problems with my second pregnancy. They did not know that what I had was FM at that time - I was also recovering from a major auto accident.

I was glad I had refused to start any meds before hand but the pain was still terrible. You may want to ask your dr about using a tens unit if the pain gets too bad. My OB ok'd it and it did help take the edge off sometimes. They also gave me cortizone shots in my hips because that would not hurt the baby.

Good luck to you!

Kelly
  4. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

A friend of mine who has FM- just survived a pregnancy and birth of twins!

She said after the first tri-mester her pain levels went from 8's to 2's- her doc told her it had something to do with the levels of hormones.

Even after the birth- the babies are 6 months old now, she says that even though she's not getting as much rest as she should be, her pain levels are significantly lower than before the pregnancy..

Something to look forward to, maybe?

Good luck!
  5. chip102481

chip102481 New Member

SkiCharm,

Well, I'm almost in your shoes, but not quite there yet. I am getting married in another two weeks and my husband and I want to have a baby right away. I have been weening/off my meds for 3 months now. I had gotten my FMS so under control that I forgot how awful life could be. I have done a lot of research and talked to my doctor a lot about what is safe to still take. There really isn't anything, although I'm still taking a nice combo of vitamins.

Best of luck to you in your pregnancy! I feel your pain!

Chip