1st Visit With Rheumy & MOOOOOOre Papers From SS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathryn, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Had my first exam at the Oregon Health Sciences University Hospital yesterday. FIVE hours of it!!! I was totally fried when I escaped, but I do believe it was worth it. My examination was with Dr. Robert Bennett himself. Seems to be a really knowledgable and concerned individual. Only wish it was 100 miles or so closer to my home. He confirmed that I really do have Fibro, have had it for many years, and have a very high pain threshold, which is probably why I was able to keep working for 10 years after I was told "You are not going to be driving a bus much longer". Wonder how I'd feel if I had a "normal" pain threshold? Would probably have already shot myself. We had a really nice visit with my brother after the exam, and they outdid themselves preparing a wonderful dinner. He and his wife are both gourmet cooks, so anything they serve is a treat. I learned that there is a Fibromyalgia Society in Eugene, Oregon, only about 40 miles from where we live that has a support group once a month. They also have a good doctor list that they promised to mail me. With luck, one of them will be on the list for Tri Care. My present PCP does not accept it, so I need to change doctors, just when the boy is starting to learn. Today's mail brought another truck load of papers from SS. A pain profile, a fatigue profile, an activities profile, & papers for the neighbor to fill out. Just how is the neighbor supposed to know how long I sleep & how often I wake up at night? Am I depressed? - I wasn't, until I started trying to collect the SS that I've been paying into for over 40 years! Enough whining. I'm going back into lurk mode for awhile.
    Cheers to everyone,
    Kathryn
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Had my first exam at the Oregon Health Sciences University Hospital yesterday. FIVE hours of it!!! I was totally fried when I escaped, but I do believe it was worth it. My examination was with Dr. Robert Bennett himself. Seems to be a really knowledgable and concerned individual. Only wish it was 100 miles or so closer to my home. He confirmed that I really do have Fibro, have had it for many years, and have a very high pain threshold, which is probably why I was able to keep working for 10 years after I was told "You are not going to be driving a bus much longer". Wonder how I'd feel if I had a "normal" pain threshold? Would probably have already shot myself. We had a really nice visit with my brother after the exam, and they outdid themselves preparing a wonderful dinner. He and his wife are both gourmet cooks, so anything they serve is a treat. I learned that there is a Fibromyalgia Society in Eugene, Oregon, only about 40 miles from where we live that has a support group once a month. They also have a good doctor list that they promised to mail me. With luck, one of them will be on the list for Tri Care. My present PCP does not accept it, so I need to change doctors, just when the boy is starting to learn. Today's mail brought another truck load of papers from SS. A pain profile, a fatigue profile, an activities profile, & papers for the neighbor to fill out. Just how is the neighbor supposed to know how long I sleep & how often I wake up at night? Am I depressed? - I wasn't, until I started trying to collect the SS that I've been paying into for over 40 years! Enough whining. I'm going back into lurk mode for awhile.
    Cheers to everyone,
    Kathryn
  3. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I can't believe we have to go so far to find a doctor that believes in FMS.
    I do have a question though, does SSD actually have papers for your neighbors to fill out? I hardly even know my neighbors except to nod hi once in awhile. My neighbors don't know anything about me. I can't wait, I haven't filed yet, thought I would after I talked to my doctor on the 23rd.
    Good Luck

Cindy
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

I am just finishing up my six month visits at OHSU. So you got to see the good doctor yourself. I'm impressed, I didn't think he actually saw patients anymore. However, I was told he sees patients to evaluate for insurance purposes. Is that why you went there, or did you just sign up for the Fibromyalgia Clinic? I am now seeing a Nurse Practitioner who works under Dr. Bennett and she is just great. Have they suggested you see Carol Burckhardt yet? If they do you won't regret it, she's very nice and understanding. I've been going to their physical therapy, occupational therapy, myofascial release therapy, and water therapy. I'm therapy'd out - plus, hate to tell them but it really doesn't help that much anyway. Let me know how you're doing at OHSU.

Dara