2 bulging disks in my neck

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

That's what the mri shows.I start physical therapy next week to try and stretch out my neck.I get to be put in traction.That doesn't sound good.

Anyone got some advice?How bad are these bulging disks and do they get better?

Sheila
  2. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I HAVE THE SAME THING AND IN LOWER BACK- MY DR SAID "NO SURGERY" BUT IT TAKES YEARS IN MOST PEOPLE TO HAVE THESE DISK TO CAUSE HUGE PROBLEMS..ALL DEPENDS. I WAS ADVISED "ALL ABOUT THE GENES"- BLAME YOUR PARENTS....!!!

LAST TIME I HAD A MRI IT WAS IN 1998 AND IT HAS GOTTON WORSE NOT BETTER- I DONT KNOW OF ANYTHING TO REPAIR THIS-

MANY PEOPLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND CAN HAVE NO PAIN AT ALL...BUT SOME PEOPLE WILL HAVE A BUNCH OF PAIN.

JGAVI
  3. BethW

BethW New Member

Sheila,

I hurt my neck in a freak accident over 10 yrs before getting CFIDS and then later FMS. At the time I was almost screaming in pain. In those days they put someone in the hospital more than they do now. I was put in traction in the hospital and it relieved my pain 80%. In time it stopped hurting - was careful about reaching over my head and lifting things. Then several yrs after FMS, it started all over again but more stenosis and bulging this time. Went thru rehab and that helped some but I nearly died from the weakness of CFIDS until I took some material and they eased up on the hard exercising, bicycling, etc. They knew nothing about FMS. It got better over time with ice pks, heat pks, not using big pillow, two gentle neck exercises they showed me same taking care as before.

Got several different opinions from neurologist, neurological surgeon and another doctor. Main one was no surgery until it ruptured. So finally over time (10 yrs) it has gotten better again. It is true that a lot of people have this without knowing it and have no pain at all. I think it may be made much worse by FMS muscles, whether nerves are affected, etc. I have seen a few people who have had surgery and gotten better; some worse. If you have any questions about ideas for things I have learned I will be glad to share. I suspect we are all diff too though in what works for us, just like with the FMS/CFIDS.

Take care of yourself. I hope the traction helps you-let me know. BethW

4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Carol, what can you tell me about traction? Or any of you.I have 2 weeks of therapy coming up.I am happy to hear that traction does help.This is a busy time of year for me.I love to garden.So inbetween the fm and swollen fingers and joint pain all over....now I get to be a pain in the neck.I have always been one of those but now I got pictures to prove it.LOL!

HUGS,
    Sheila