2 neck surgeries and fybro......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lori4you, Nov 17, 2006.

1. lori4you

lori4you New Member

I have heard that neck problems or injuries are the most common reason you develop Fybro....When I was 20 years old, I came down with a severe case of mono and I have not been the same since...I started getting terrible neck problems. After my first neck surgery, Fybro set in...I have been on Vicodin and muscle relaxers for over 11 years.....I just had my second neck surgery at 30 years old and my fybro is worse than ever. However the doctor thinks the symptoms will calm down after a while...it's just soooooooooo hard living with his. I am so young and want to do so many things in life, but because of fybro I can't do many of the things I want to do. The pain is mostly in my neck and shoulder blades and my face and head get extremely tight...My aunt has a very bad case of fybro and she started taking Lyrica about a year ago and it has DRASTICALLY changed her life. Has anyone else taken it???
    Lori
    I am a newbie here!!!!!!!!!
  2. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I had neck surgery five years ago, my gallbladder out, double pnuemonia, and sever stress. Pretty much dictated my FM setting in.

I have been taking Lyrica for about 2 months now, along with Ultram.

They work for me, but still have breakthrough pain. Everyone is different, but I really think these are the best pain meds for me. I take Aleve for the breakthrough.

I didn't have any side effects from either. I also started on Mirapex for my myocloinc jerks and they are being increased, not much help yet, but I do see a little difference.

Hope this helps and Kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  3. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I have not tried Lyrica so I cannot give you an opinion on it. However, I do have severe neck problems similar to what you describe.

Some doctors believe neck pain in certain fibro patients is caused by intermittent cervical cord compression. Perhaps you could research that and see if it sounds like you.

Good luck,
    Kat