2 things: MediCare/Aid getting cut & online drug ads...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Dec 2, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

From the articles I read, (well they all say the same thing), Google, Yahoo and 'Big Pharma" are lobbying to allow new guidelines for drug ads. What the online ads will do is advertise brand name drugs for 'whatever' complete with the FDA logo upfront, then have a 'link' to abbreviated major side effects, with another link for complete info...

I think personally it will lead to a lot more confusion for the consumer and their doctors, not sure how many fully read information or are able to really understand (could work either way, IF they follow thru the links)

The other concern is about the MediCare cuts to be made to help pay for the "Healthcare Reform" ........... I know that there is a lot of waste, but, is this going to lead to less waste, or worse care and/or just plain refusal... so many doctors won't deal with MediCare now, as it is. I really fear the worst. Bureaucracy rarely leads to efficiency. (imho, we need competition, not gov't as competition, but again, that's just my opinion so ignore if you don't agree or even if you do)

Add to this, there's a new study out, at
    that says
    Baby Boomers May Prove More Disabled Than Their Elders
    Wave of disabilities could overburden health-care system, researchers fear

They're blaming it on obesity for starters, but.... I doubt that's the whole story or even most of it.

Sorry for not being full of good news today...

But, as Dr. Wm Campbell Douglass warned:

"Pay attention... because if you don't, one of these days you'll wake up to find a new world

I would say that about all the above, tho he was really pointing his finger at 'big pharma":
    "Pay attention... because if you don't, one of these days you'll wake up to find a new worldon the Internet – one where Big Pharma makes it harder than ever for you to figure out the truth about their meds."

Add to that I heard Google wants us all to upload our personal medical info! you betcha...

[This Message was Edited on 12/02/2009]
  2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Google wants us all to upload our personal medical info??? You're kidding. Right???

Fay :)
  3. quanked

quanked Member

Our medical records for what purpose? Where did you hear this? Wow!
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

this apparently has been in the works for a while:

the initial 'sell' is that it's an easy way to let relatives access our records and directives in case of an emergency... as well as our doctors...

add this to how ads pop up depending on what's in one's email (yes I do have a gmail email)... I'm guessing drug ads will be popping up oh so conveniently.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While I am all for transparency with drug advertisement, I will wait and see what will happen in the future and the plans proposed. There. absolutely needs to be truth in advertising. The best case scenario in my mind is to go back to not advertising. Remember the good old days?

I think the same thing should be done with alternative treatments but they do not even come under FDA regulations. However, I think the latter will eventually change. In fact I have joined a group working on having supplements regulated. But I could write a whole post about that.

I think people know that the baby boomers will require more money. So what should we do? What is the answer? Not treat people? Did I miss the meaning of this article?

As far as the comment about google asking for medical records, I have searched and can not find anything about it. I even looked at snoops.com. Where in the world is this published? Stop and think. Do you think something like this would be accepted. Oh yes, and the health plan will euthanize older patients and the world will end in 2012.

People will believe anything but I want to see proof.

6. victoria

victoria New Member

you posted right after me... I gave a link re google & med records...

but I'm not sure you can see my posts as you said a while back you were having problems seeing mine and some others', and it seems to me you still haven't "seen" some thing I've posted since you said that.

So.... just in case, someone else may want to repeat what I just wrote?

I too always check sources!!!!! You should know that by now? LOL...

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think you are grossly misinterpreting what this means. That is if it even flies.

The article is talking about a voluntary system for people who want to access their medical history, No one will be forced to comply.

Where I go for my health care, it is paperless and I think it is so efficient. If my doctor needs to see what another doctor's observations, they are easily accessibly. This is not hidden from the patient as my doctor let me see all information in my computerized file. This system is very helpful especially for emergencies. But this is an in house system which I think is better but want to read more about this.

The Cleveland Clinic is one of the places involved in the XMRV trials, so I would think it has a lot of credibility.

I think we need a lot more information about this subject before jumping to conclusions.

There is another side of the disclosures on ads about medications would think that pharmaceutical companies would not necessarily want the side effects mentioned.Look how fast they mention the side effects in TV ads.

A complex situation where there are no easy answers. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out

8. victoria

victoria New Member

I didn't say we were being 'forced', that it was just another service Google was offering.

(However, given how easily things are hacked into tho, beyond giving a medical directive possibly, I would never put my records anywhere online.)

My opinion on the the way it sounds the ads will be linked to info about drugs is that it takes several steps to find out what one needs. It may not make any difference ultimately, time will tell (if it changes). I have seen many people don't take the time... sort of like that fast speech at the end of TV ads and the fine print on the back page of the ads they put in magazines (for which I personally need a magnifying glass even if I do have a new RX for reading). Wonder if there's a poll on how many consumers really do read it or understand any of it.

Sorry if you misinterpreted something... just trying to post helpful info for people to read about and think about, is all.

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Information is good. This is how we find out things to make decisions. We don't all have to come to the same conclusion but we ned to know what is out there. You have posted on a subject I want to know more about.

Frankly, I think the solution should be to ban the ads. Not likely to happen, though, eh?

The ads are a waste of money, IMHO.