2007 Conference on "FM It's Related Disorders"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I receive online articles from The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. Yesterday, 6.10, they published highlights from a planning teleconference that discussed 'FM & Its Related Disorders'

The research for this conference was funded by ELi Lilly, other drug companies and the NIH, the doctors doing research were paid by Eli Lilly, other drug companies and the NIH and since this article is published in a leading psychiatric journal and funded by the National Institute of Health, you may assume the article shares the public policy and opinion of the medical professions and the government about FM.

In a nutshell:
    "The spectrum of fibromyalgia ranges from mild symptomology requiring no medical attention, to severe with disabling widespread pain and exhaustion. The progression from mild to severe symptoms is not well understood BUT DOES INVOLVE PERSONAL PSYCHOSOCIAL FACTORS.

THEREFORE PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS SHOULD CONSIDER THE PSYCHOSOCIAL AS WELL AS THE PHYSIOLOGIC ASPECTS OF FIBROMYALGIA AND ITS RELATED DISORDERS (IBS, DEPRESSION, BI-POLAR, RHUEMATOID ARTHRITIS) TO PROVIDE PATIENTS WITH A COMPREHENSIVE TREATMENT PLAN THAT INCLUDES PHARMACOLOGIC AND NON-PHARMACOLOGIC TREATMENT OPTIONS."

Based on their research these doctors agree that FM patients have emotional/psychiatric issues that manifest as physical disorders, and that it is essentially useless to treat only the medical problems or to view FM as a distinct medical disorder; the psychiatric issues must be acknowleged and treated at the same time, if not prior to the medical issues, for any resolution.

For anyone hoping or waiting for the official position regarding FM to change from a psychiatric to a medical disorder, it seems this is not going to happen in the near future.

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Most times it is the other way around. Yes it helps to deal with any psychiatric issue, duh!!

But people are going to see this as another way to explain away our symptoms.

Thanks for posting this. It is really depressing, which means we need to do a lot of PR work.

Darn!!!

GA
  3. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

but doesn't Eli Lily manufacture a great number of anti-depressants? Seems a little self serving if you ask me. As soon as there are enough meds on the market to specifically treat CFS/FM...the studies will show an exact protocol for treatment.

It's all about the benjamins.

peace
  4. krsmom

krsmom New Member

Well go figure.... an article for psychiatrists name a psychiatric cause. Anyone in chronic pain will have problems with depression if it isn't addressed but I seriously doubt it to be the cause. I can be at my happiest and physically suck at the same time.

So are they saying if we take anti depressants that fibro will go away? If only that were true. It seems they are saying the egg came before the chicken or vice versa. They obviously don't know and I agree that this is a self serving article.
  5. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

I've seen things like this many times before....

And I can't help but wonder if part of the problem is the fact that money "makes the world go 'round" . Not the way it should be , but mostly seems to be.

By the time most of us find out what we have and get an "official" DX , and try some "treatments" , we are almost or totally broke.

Our DD's are not psychological in nature , but , they can cause such problems as the afore-said big word. :>)

IMHO , our DD's are physiological(another big word....LOL). And more won't be done until more money can be made.

Cases in point , the FFC has taken in a lot of bucks. Very few people have been actually helped. At least , it seems , the ethical and good DRS. leave the FFC. And the CDC has syphoned off money for research for more "lucrative research".

I'm sorry , but , I'm usually more positive than this. But , I think my reply is honest. Even though my pain meter went so high that it broke......

And I hope I made sense through my pain induced brain fog... ;>0

Have a good Day !

Blessings ,

b/c