2015 Pittsburgh Bald Eagle eggs! (EDITED)

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by ConfusedInPA, Mar 1, 2015.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo!!!!

Hi nature lovers -------

I talked about this last year (I think), when we had 3 bald eagle eggs in Pittsburgh. The 3 eggs hatched, the chicks were healthy, and ultimately left the nest.

NOW, we have two more bald eagle eggs! The eggs should hatch within 3 weeks.

Here's the live camera from the Audubon Society that shows the nest:

http://www.pixcontroller.com/eagles/

Yep, it is snowing here. And mama Eagle is sitting in the nest. :)

Enjoy!

Hugs, Diane

EDITED TO SAY ---- If you can't get the video to play, try clicking twice in rapid succession on the video PLAY icon. This is a very popular website, and very busy, so it might take a few clicks to get the camera to load the live bald eagle feed.

PS ---- If you get stuck in FULL SCREEN Mode, just press the escape key on your keyboard once (ESC). That will return you to REGULAR SCREEN Mode. The ESC key is at the top left of your keyboard.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

And here is the Decorah, Iowa bald eagle nest.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

A few years ago I watched them from beginning to end - from preparing the already established nest til when the three eaglets flew away.

The eggs are born days apart from each other.

The nest is six foot wide.

The adults have a six foot wingspan.

This couple has been together for many years. It's the male's second wife, after his first wife died.

You can tell which one is the male or female mostly by the coloring around their eyes. And the female is larger.

The female has a lot of gray color around her eyes, especially extending from the back of the eye.

The male has no gray around the eye, just looks like dark eyeliner around his entire eye.

It was so fun learning about the eagles on the updates the site gives, plus googling about them and the eaglets behavior.

You have to have a strong stomach to watch them at feeding time. The parents are so attentive, taking turns hunting for food and bringing it back to the nest. Both parents feeding the babies bit by bit when newborn, then bigger portions as they grow. They make sure that each baby gets a share.

When walking over the eaglets, the adults curl their talons under so as not to hurt them.

When any of them goes to bathroom, including the tiniest of the babies, they bend over, back toward the edge of nest, and squirt it out of the nest. It's so funny to see. How efficient and clean. Just amazing the instincts living beings are born with, humans included. The dinner leftovers lay around in the nest though.

That time I watched, one of the real young babies was pecking the heck out of its sibling. Read that they sometimes do that. I don't know how the peckee lived through it, but it did.

So fun to watch the entire process.

They have the nest well lit 24/7, so you can always see them.

One time in the night, I happened to tune in as a hawk swooped down on the nest. The parent scared it off.

When the babies were almost ready to fly, practicing short hops from the nest to a nearby branch, the camera would pan up to see them perched up there. The babies would fly back and forth from nest to branches.

Then I happened to tune in as the camera panned to catch one of the fledglings make his first big flight from the nest, across a grassy expanse onto the top of a huge barn.

The scenery is beautiful. You can see beautiful horses by the barn when the camera pans.

This is a good activity for the bedbound especially. I would leave the eagle site on in a separate tab, and just check in many times a day. Caught lots of eagle action.

Oh, and I usually watch it without the sound, since all you can hear is mostly the wind. But one time I turned it on during the adults high alert calls, and their voice is high and weak. I thought a bird of that size would have a loud voice like a crow.

I'm gonna watch it again this year, just thought of it yesterday.

Patti
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Thanks for the video sites where we can see the eagle sights. Eyrie, but not eerie.

There were no eagles in SE Minnesota when I was growing up there, but there
    are now. My brother who still lives there took me to the edge of town where
    the Upper Iowa River flows. There was a huge bird perched in a tree. I said,
    Wow!" My brother said, "That's the baby."

Patti, is your interest in eagles or in Decorah? I grew up in Minn. but was born
    in nearby Decorah, IA. Our village had no swimming pool. During the
    summer kids got a free bus ride twice a week to Decorah to go swimming.
    And all our practice teachers came from Luther College in Decorah.

Decades later I got a book at the library put out by the American Association of
    Architects or some such. The title was something like Significant Architecture in
    Iowa. There were photos of several buildings in Decorah including the swimming
    pool building. Notable for its Art Deco windows and rounded corners on the
    building.

Yes, with many birds, fish, reptiles and insects, the female is bigger. Some of
    these animals that are pets, or in zoos, wear a T shirt that says, "Big Mama".

Rock
  4. hangininthere

Hahahaha, Rock, you're a riot, hahahaha. Big Mama. Eyrie/eerie.

What a kawinkidink Decorah came up, where you were born and went swimming, wow.

Hahaha, "That's the baby". True.

I don't have a particular interest in eagles. Don't know how I found out about the eagles nest. Maybe a news article.

But when I checked it out, I was hooked on watching them that year.

I oughta google and find the pic of the Decorah pool, cool memory.

Did you ever google your address and see different places where you've lived, or where someone else lives?

Patti
  5. rockgor

Patti, here's another Decorah kawinkydink. Several years ago we had poster who
    married a man from the Decorah area. He was a farm boy. I think that like
    my younger brother he had a slight limp. They were from the last generation of
    kids that got polio.

Anyhoo he became a school teacher when he grew up. He took several groups
    of students to tour Europe. He said, "Sometimes, walking the streets of Rome
    or Paris, I marveled at the change in my life from my rural boyhood."

We had discussion recently about about satellite views. On the porch I
    guess. I've never been able to find anything but views taken from so far away
    the houses look smaller than postage stamps. Can't identify anything. But
    lots of people reported great success. One poster said she could even identify
    the mimosa tree in her old neighborhood.

Oh yeah, I visited some Decorah sites. Could not find any views of the building
    in question. I did read it was built in 1937 and a group was trying to preserve it.

Well, I'm feeling a bit peckish. Maybe I'll have some toast with strawberry
    preserves.

Rock
    hangininthere likes this.
  6. hangininthere

7. rockgor

Wow! You certainly got better results than I, Patti. Guess what? The place
    looks exactly the same. Of course, my memory is a bit hazy. I had forgotten
    the part about no ceiling over the changing rooms.

Tusen Takk (That's Norsk for thousand thanks.)

Rock
    hangininthere likes this.