24-hr Mercury challenge

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shirl517, Jan 15, 2006.

1. shirl517

shirl517 New Member

Has anyone done a 24hr urine collection
    for mercury testing? I am having a test
    for mercury due to some uncoming dental work.
    How does mercury overload affect fibromyalgia?
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have had a mercury challenge test and my levels were high.
    If you have toxic levels, they can be a contributor to the FM and can make your symptoms worse.

I have had my fillings replaced and have been detoxing since then along with other treatments. I am slowly improving.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
  3. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

I just wanted to ask if you presently have mercury fillings? If so, I have read it may not be a good idea to undergo a mercury challenge since the drugs (either DMPS or DMSA) can literally leach the mercury out of your fillings and re-deposit it in other areas of your body. Which mercury chelator would you be taking?
    -Carrie
  4. CinCA

CinCA New Member

You should never do chelation detox with mercury (amalgam) fillings in place. Please be careful and only do this under the supervision of a qualified physician! Also, be sure if you are getting amalgam fillings removed that they are done so by a dentist that knows how to protect you from additional mercury exposure.
  5. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I did it as I got heightened mercury toxicity symptoms after getting 4 amalgam fillings replaced (with what I consider inappropriate preventative care...my dentist didn't believe amalgams pose a threat). How I understand it is they give you an IV injection of DMPS (a chelating agent...at least this is how they did mine), and it pulls metals out of the body and binds them to a substance (chelator) that enables them to be excreted through the urine. That is why you do a 24-hour collection, to monitor the levels "pulled" out by the chelator.

Again, Carrie was right in that it could expose you to more heavy metals if you do this type of challenge or start chelation with active sources of mercury in your system (i.e. the fillings).

Interestingly, I had chronic knee pain for years that I attributed to soft patellar cartilage which required several knee surgeries. I figured I'd just have to live with it, but it amazingly completely disappeared a few months after I got the fillings out. Not sure if was a causal relationship or not, but I am sure happy my knees don't ache anymore!