#26 Loungers Open for all!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Mar 2, 2010.

1. spacee

spacee Member

I was thinking. We talk about food a good bit. What are your favorite snacks? Healthy or not.
    I know this can change from time to time so answer it how ever you wish.

Mine right now is: Tostitos with a Touch of Lime (comes with the lime taste)

When you have the taste of lime...do you really need salsa or other dip? YUM!!

I have killed the ice cream kick with the Touch of Lime!!

For special times. The Mexican Layered dip tops the chart for me. Yum there too.

I am open to new food adventures so thought I would ask ;)

As I am looking at my tastes...seems I like salty things over sweet..generally.

On other fronts. We have the heat on here today. I was going to try to go without it
    but....nope...too chilly.

And I am looking at QVC. Totally amazed at how many different hair products they sell.
    How does one choose? Oh, silly me. You go to QVC dot com and get the customer rated.

Talked to Verizon today. (Our phone isn't working). Turns out we are due for a brand new modem which they are going to mail to us and we will install in 30 seconds (the man said) LOL!!! I am going to have to do some asking around of what a modem actually is. Yes, I
    AM that bad with computers.

Oh, wait...you don't have to go to QVC dot com...they show you on the screen if it is a customer top rated. This product is a 4.5. It's called Ego Boost for super volume
    hair. That's all about that....

Ok, Kids a brand new thread.

Love to all!

2. jgsgirlie

jgsgirlie New Member

I hope you don't mind, me peeking in and responding.

I love pretzles dipped in sour cream, I craved that when I was pregnant with my 1st son. It was one that never went away.

My healthy craving is usually cottage cheese and fresh pineapple.

3. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Hi jgsgirlie! Welcome to Chit Chat Board and the Lounger's Thread!

Pretzels and dip, chips and dip, both yummie. I tend to lean toward sweet snacks, especially chocolate things. I don't have any real favorite snack.

Speaking of pregnancy, I remember when I was expecting my first child The very smell of coffee made me sick. I've always loved coffee! Go figure.

Spacee, I'm sorry about your bad news. If you want to talk about it, I am here and I know the others are too. Life is so hard sometimes.

It's raining and snowing this evening. Is supposed to snow all tomorrow with no real accumulation. It's almost Spring!!

Love to all,
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What do you mean touch of Lime? You put lime juice on ice cream and then you
    don't eat it? We have a bottle of some kind of lime cleaner. Gets rid hard water
    spots. Don't suppose you mean that either.

My favorite snack used to be an apple, but now I am kinda challenged in the
    tooth dept. so I have substituted Hershey Kisses.

I understand the Ego Boost product is very good. It's made by the same people who
    make Eggo Waffles. I believe the products use many of the same ingreediments.
    In an emergency, you can put a waffle on your hair. Tie a scarf around it and
    leave it in place for 15 minutes.

Hi Jgs, drop by anytime. Always glad to see new faces. Or, for that matter, old
    faces rejuvenated. Victoria started a thread about the benefits of old age. One of
    them is, unless you're in show biz, it doesn't matter what you look like.

I had hope of getting to the library today, but doesn't look like I'm going to make it.
    It's only 3 blocks, but the preparations wear me out. The library computer doesn't
    always give credit for books returned, so I have to make a list of everything returned.
    And I probably should put on something more formal than a T shirt and gym pants.
    And I have to walk up hill. Seems to be a lot more gravity around than when I was
    a kid.

You guys remember the Mama's Family episode where she got hooked on buying
    junk from the TV? I think she had to go to TV Shoppers Anonymous.

5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

You are so funny!

6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Hi kids -

I'm kinda lost without the Olympics and being able to see Apolo Anton Ohno's face every day! Tee Hee......I'm so naughty! What shall I do? Oh I know......I could get my fat *ss off the couch and clean or something, but then I'd be down and out for the next 6 months, so I think I'll just sit here and watch the "Biggest Loser." You know, I would love to go on that show but I think I'd start crying the first time Jillian yelled at me!! :( I still think there should be a show like Biggest Loser for people with chronic illnesses who can't work quite as hard as they have to on the show, but who still need to lose some weight.

So, lets see. Had to use Klonipin again last night to get to sleep, but at least I slept. My husband had to put dynamite under the bed this morning in order to get me awake and out of the house in time for my 7:15 AM doctor appt. Saw my PCP today and he has kept me out of work for another month. Probably because of the c-diff and because he's also probably waiting to see what the Oncologist says tomorrow morning. I'll let y'all know tomorrow what the oncologist says. I'm a little nervous but trying to deal with it. Think I'll need that Klonipin again tonight!!

Oh, lets see....my favorite food? Soft? Yes. Crunchy? Yes. Salty? Yes. Sweet? Yes. Cold? Yes. Hot? You betcha!! I guess that's all!!!

Nighty nite all!!
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

Rock somehow you always find a way to be funny. Unless I'm feeling more decent than I am currently, the humorous twists of words don't come out of the canyons of my mind, tho I'm always happy to laugh at whatever comes up that strikes me down in fits of laughter.

By the way, I went to the library last night at midnight! Yes, via computer, so nice --unless I want actual paper & ink books of course!

HI Jgs! Yes, new people are ALWAYS welcome. We don't talk about much 'inside' stuff that you can't figure out right away, all in all, I think? Except maybe for an occasional mention of 'pengys', short for penguins, which have a long history here & on other threads of making trouble... that, and to realize that out of respect for those struggling with that cold wet white fluffy stuff, we spell it *now. (the * stands for 's')

Thinking about *now... today was a perfecto day here in Mexico - low humidity and 80 in the shade, tho the 'feel like' temp was low 70s. And not a cloud in the sky. Not always a good thing tho, LOL, if you're as fairskinned as I am.

Lime corn chips, mmmmm yes, just make sure you always spell that with an 'i' and NOT a 'y'!!! Spacee, it sounds good except for all the other stuff they add to those chips. I've taken corn tortillas and toasted them in the oven crispy - just as good without all the additives.

I have yet to try it tho with the tortillas that our worker's brought to us that his wife makes fresh ... tho he hasn't brought us any in a long time. Perhaps he figured out we weren't always eating them, at least not like they do. He said he eats about 25+/day!

Biggest inflation here was in the cost of corn = tortillas, which are a staple here as you can tell. I do wonder how much of all the varieties of corn that are indigenous to Mexico are still being grown - and if they are, where can I get some?

What bad news, Spacee? Feel free to talk about it in any case...

Funny, I had no cravings during pg, but was totally nauseated by all meats with my first pg for the first 3-4 months. I was just getting over it when we went to Jamaica. The first night I did well, had some mild beef curry.

After that it was all downhill except for one night at a steakhouse, because every other place no matter what you ordered, you got goat meat. Which I don't like, ever (add to the list of sardines, liver, etc!;).

It was sort of like a real-life version of that John Belushi skit on SNL about "cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger" no matter what you ordered ~ except they were more polite and it cost more!

Bad day for me yesterday, today is a better day!

hoping tomorrow will be too... and hope all you guys are ok too!

buenos noches (maybe)

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2010]
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

good luck tomorrow, hope it's good news - I'll have my eyes and toes crossed, but not my fingers as I can't type if I do that ;)

glad you were able to get a good night's sleep, no matter what you had to do to get it! End results are what count, at least imho!

I was going to add something else but.... don't remember now... probably will a few minutes after I click 'submit'!

sweet dreams!
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

(I always do eventually, hehe)

I read that because of the earthquakes, the earth is spinning a bit faster! (yes, really!)

Do you think Rock that maybe gravity HAS gotten a bit stronger as a result?

Maybe we need therealmadscientist, mrbill, to answer that?

10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Fay, yes, chip dip is a wonderful thing. I'm so old, I remember when it was invented.
    Mid 50s. My mother and grandmother went out for an evening of bridge. My mother
    came home laughing.

She said Marie served this new stuff that you dip potato chips in. It was made w/
    sour cream. Grandma hated it. Every time the hostess left the room, Grannie made

Maybe you could invent something that would cater to your love of dip AND chocolate.

Victoria, actually there is more gravity. I think some high school kid was first to point this
    out. Dave Barry reported it in one of his columns. Thousands of meteorites hit the
    Earth every year. This increases the size and density of the Earth which gives it
    a greater gravitational pull. Hence, things weigh more every year and gravity pulls
    us down w/ greater force.

This can be viewed as a corollary to the third law of thermodynamics which says
    (and here I using laymen's terms), you can't push something that's going faster
    than you are.

Mr Bill could elaborate on this if we could find him. Not only does he still manage to
    work, but he's always busy riding that bike of his and having encounters w/
    mountain lions. (You remember his post re: same from last year, I'm sure.)

Jan, good choice of food groups. I don't know who is more exhausted after the
    Olympics: the athletes or the reporters. Talk about trivia. Articles on Ohno's
    yawing, people's costumes, and just plain gossip.

By the way, what kinda name is Apolo Anton Ohno? Looks Greek, German, Japanese.
    He must be an American. (Just checked. Yup, he is.)

Illustrating that everything is connected, note that the green bean casserole was
    developed at the same time chip dip was. And what do they have in common:
    onions. Conspiracy or coincidence? The choice is yours.

And Dave Barry is connected to the Olympics. He covered same when they were in
    Sweden or someplace like that. Met his second wife there, although she was not
    his second wife at the time that etc.

Oops! Just realized I'm typing this on the board. I usually type my posts as E mails,
    then copy and paste. Well, better wind this up before it goes Puff!

11. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Oh your talking my favorite food group now.
    I like sweets myself.Chocolate as I've mentioned a million times on here I think.
    Right now it's Hershey's almond bars.They are meal replacements for me most days.I'm trying to change that and eat better.

As long as my weight stays down I figure I can eat what I want but I get sugar crashes so I know I need to make changes.

I love corn tortillas best Victoria.Flour ones are ok but corn is best.

Sorry more family problems Spacee I know how that is.

Hope you make it to the library Rock.3 blocks may seem like several miles most days.

Good luck Jan.And glad someone new posted ,welcome to our chat.
  12. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Reading the snacks here made me think of a goodie i've not had in a great while.

Puppy Chow for People and easy to make in a paper bag.
    Any Chex cereals, Pretzels, melted Chocolate, powdered sugar, shake all well in bag.
    This is such a anytime snack.
    Just about anything with Chocolate i do like.
    May be a bit nutritional too with the cerals.

QVC... yep i just simply can't afford this one anymore. One thing leads to another.
    Everything looks so promising, use to shop with them way too much.
    i will say they have the best Mrs.Prindable Apples offers. So very delicious.
    One trip to the grocery pretty much takes a bundle today. So today i cannot afford to spend any on QVC and OH SO Tempting.

Onions with Green Bean Casserole, YES. Onions with many dishes are good.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant day.
    Hugs for All Loungers
  13. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Oh - puppychow for people.......sounds good. According to my 27 year old son, I make the best chex mix in the world. The kind that is done in the oven with worchestershire sauce and butter.

Well, the oncology visit. I have to have a partial nephrectomy (removal of part of my kidney). It will probably be done in about 3 weeks or so. I have to wait for his secretary to call me with a date.

You know, my fibro was 1st diagnosed several months after I had my gall bladder removed in 2000. Then, after I had my foot surgery this past September is when I had my most horrible flare ever. Can't wait to see what will happen this time.

More later dudes and dudettes. Think I'm going to take a little nap now.
  14. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I sat at the computer earlier this afternoon and read the last few posts and then was too tired to type, so I went to bed.

I see tortillas in the grocery store, and sometimes I see people putting them into their shopping carts, and I've been tempted to buy some to try. But, I have to tell you the truth. I have no clue what to put on them or in them. What does one eat on/in a tortilla? Peanut butter and jelly? LOL! Seriously, if I knew how to eat them I'd try them.

Grandkids have a stomach virus. Ugh! I told them to stay away until they are well. My dear friend I correspond with by mail has pneumonia. There's alot of sickness around right now.

Jan, sorry to hear you need to have surgery. I'm wishing you the best as you face this ordeal.

Yes, the time is now shorter due to the Chili earthquake. So, it's true that gravity is stronger than it used to be? I thought I was imagining that! LOL!

Early to bed for me.

15. victoria

victoria New Member

Jan, so sorry to hear that, I'd hoped all tests would come out ok. Altho if you're having problems, getting no dx is not necessarily good news, as we all know.

Snacks... or cravings? I'm not a big snack person, tho if there are potato chips or other things like that - or nuts, I'm likely to munch a bit on them. I have been recently baking almonds with a bit of eggwhite glaze and cinnamon/sugar on it, tho not too much (trying to stay low(er) carb or at least sugar!)... figure I'll get the benefits of the almonds plus fiber.

I like to oven bake hand sliced potatoes, especially sweet potatoes! I like the sweet potato chips sold in the US stores, but honestly I find home-made the most satisfying. My Mom got me on this when I was a kid as she'd sautee sliced cooked sweets in the pan.... mmmmmm..... they get sort of carmelized! Unfortunately here they're a seasonal item, not sure why!

I've found cravings have lessened the more I don't keep stuff around :) -- tho every so often the chocolaholic cravings hit. Then almost anything will do, depending on where I am & what's available. Even oreo cookies, lolol... actually craving them specifically right now.

Also wine & cheese, which are pretty much forbidden for me because of food sensitivities. On the advice of someone else, maybe Steven Wright (not sure), I eat swiss cheese. But I hate to be a pig, so I only nibble on it- I make the holes bigger.

Had a rough night, must've been something I ate :( so feeling rough today, literally. We ate at a restaurant yesterday that we've been to often with no problems, but, I guess anything can happen anywhere. Which is also making me crave tapioca pudding, instant is not available here tho. Probably a good thing? LOL.

Hope you all are having a better day...

16. victoria

victoria New Member

Think of tortillas as a 'wrap'. You can put any kind of sandwich fillings in them, hot or cold.

You can also sprinkle them with salt & seasonings of any kind and toast in the oven on low heat til crisp - that way you don't get all the fat from deep frying like most of the store-bought kinds, and eat as a snack.

OR just use toasted for a nacho dish-
    melt cheese on them, maybe add seasoned meat and have some guacamole as a side for more traditional Tex-Mex or Mexican.

Hope your grandkids get over the flu soon, and your friend with pneumonia!

17. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

....for all of your good wishes. I'll keep you updated as I know more.

Speaking of gravity getting stronger........I think those of us who have been going bra-less can attest to that!!

Sorry, I'm just trying to do anything I can to keep a smile on my face!! :)
  18. spacee

spacee Member

We must have all been posting at the same time this afternoon. Ya'lls went through and mine didn't. Now I can't remember what I said...but that is ok.

I know I wrote about Heavenly and your upcoming nephrectomy (1/3)/ OUCH. I guess you didn't want to be reminded since you just posted a funny to take your mind off of it. Well, know this...we all will be thinking about you during this ordeal! And hope better days are ahead for you and your hubby.

So, I will tell you about a woman on What Not to Wear today. The show people didn't think she was wearing a bra. Yep, that bad. But evidently she was wearing an extremely comfortable one. So they took the time to get her a $90 uncomfortable one.

I do remember that the puppy chow sounds like a cute thing to have when the kids come.

And the chocolate almond bar as a meal replacement sounds grand. But I am not where you are weight wise so it will be a reward if I ever get there.

The pretzel dipping sounded good too...

OK...EVERYTHING sounded really good and especially right NOW.

I was thinking today and I am sure you kids will agree. If Rock is as funny as he is now, what was he like when he was in his prime?

Nite Loved Ones!!

19. victoria

victoria New Member

I think Rock is a stand-up comedian in a parallel universe, be it cyber or otherwise...
  20. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

DH got back from his trip at 10:30 last night.He coughed all night from something he picked up on the plane and was on West coast time so neither of us slept.

The sun is shining!I talked to one of my sisters from Fl.She lives in the Bradenton area.AAA is closing several call centers and she is setting up a home office to be able to work from home to keep her job.I'm glad she had that as an option.So many closings and cut backs it's just so frightening.I hope things pick up soon.

Good luck to you Jan sorry you need surgery.

I should get a haircut but instead of thinking I'm lazy I'm telling myself I need to get through this shaggy stage and grow it longer.I think this is called denial.