2nd Holtorf appt./Tramadol and/or Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goofgirl, Oct 2, 2008.

1. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Hi All,

I've really appreciated having this board to come to every day. It's a bit isolating being home and not working, so it's nice to feel like I'm connecting to the outside world. It's also comforting to know there are others going through the same trials and tribulations as I am, and that when I start whining, you'll all at least know where I'm coming from...lol.

I had my second doctor's appointment with Holtorf this morning. Don't have a copy of my blood test results, but he explained I was positive for HHV-6 and EBV antibodies (already knew about the latter). My reverse T3 was high, so he wants to take me off Armour and put me on pure T3. I'm a little apprehensive because I like my Armour so much, but I'm willing to try it. Anyone else on pure T3 for thyroid? My Natural Killer Cells were also low. I didn't have enough money to pay for the supplements today, so I have to get them tomorrow when a deposit goes through. Don't know how the Disability Insurance people expect that we can go 4 weeks without a check, but what can I do...

The Dr. has like 4 more supplements he wants me to take; I hate spending so much money on stuff my insurance won't cover, but it's worth it to try to feel better. In addition, he suggested I change from Zoloft to Cymbalta, as well as prescribing me Tramadol for FM pain. I'm also nervous about changing from the Zoloft, because it's helped my depression so much. He said the Cymbalta is now FDA approved for FM pain... Any of you have any experience with either of these drugs? Told him I had some vicodin from previous surgery that seems to help the pain, and 800 mg ibuprofin doesn't do anything; he suggested the Tramadol instead of vicodin.

Although I'm home to "rest", I find it really difficult, with the money running dry and other stupid stressful things going on. I really need to work on relaxing and not trying to control things I can't. I know that's not helping my stress, but like many of you, it's hard not to beat yourself up about stuff. Told DH I should just go back to work, and he was insistant that I stay home until I really get better, not go back right away and relapse again. It's been a bit over a month since I've been off. Hope I start feeling a bit better soon.

Thanks again for reading and for any input you might have.

2. hensue

hensue New Member

Vicodin is probably more addictive i would think i dont know. If you go back to work you will not get your disability will you? That might be why he is insisting!
    Cymbalta is good for some people and not good for others.
    I myself have never tried it. I have heard some people say it helps. I dont know. I do know do not come off of the zoloft abruptly. If you get on the cymbalta never come off abruptly that is where i have seen people have bad reactions. Where they went through a bad time getting off.
    Just a though not much help
    Hope you feel better
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes this DD can be a stressful, isolating and the consequences devestating every aspect of our lives.

I had been on Zoloft for years, even before getting this DD and it worked very well for my depression as well as any anxiety.

About two years after I was diagnosed with FM/CFS, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and then Cymbalta. I ended up having "manic like" behaviors both times and they were a direct result of the medications. I can not take SSNRIs but can the SSRIs.

Tramadol has done wonders controlling my pain.

We are all so different in how we react to these medications.

This was my experience.

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2008]
  4. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

I take cymbalta and it has helped tremendousley with my foggy head and energy. I was taking ultram er for pain but wasnt helping much doc just put me on tramadol. it works great for the pain only problem I am having is at night I keep getting pains in my right arm. It feels like RLS but in my arm. I stopped taking the tramadol and went back to ultram er and no more RLS in my arms but the back pain is back. I cant stand the RLS in my arms at night because I cant sleep. But not sure which pain is worse. So I will have to weight the odds.
  5. Heyygirl

Heyygirl New Member

Hi Jessica,

I am a patient of Dr. H as well and have been trying t3 after years on Armour as well. I am wondering how you are doing??