2nd visit with Neurologist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angelfoo, May 18, 2006.

1. angelfoo

angelfoo New Member

Hello All new here! I need some advice on how to handle my appointment tomorrow. The last time I saw him was in the hospital back in February. I keep having these episodes that seem like a stroke on the left side nothing shows up anywhere. I have so many symptoms of CFS and FM no one will diagnose me.My EBV was sky high. This last episode has really hit me hard I had to leave work as I stood on my feet for hours at a time and my cognitve ability has just gone out the window. Dizzy all the time shortness of breath. My Heart is fine. My body hurts every where. I just need to know what to ask to get to the point as I get lost when I am in with a doctor. I can't even explain what is wrong. When I left the hospital I was diagnosed with depession. I just cried and cried so that just confirmed what they said. I am depressed because I feel so bad. My kids I feel bad for them because something is always wrong with me. Tired spacy. I have not done a profile but I will. I am a mother of 4 married and have my sweet maltese Jake. Hope someone can give me a outline of what to ask I will write it down. I feel like I am going Nuts!!! I am just all over the place.Thank you for reading Angelfoo
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

many nuerologists don't and some seemingly hate those of us who suffer from these illnesses. i think it comes down to the fact that in order to treat us, you must take some time and exert some energy to sorting out the problem and finding a solution. When you are a God nuerologist, the insurance co allows them 6 minutes to treat you, or they aren't making maximum money.

sorry to sound so bitter, but you know in your heart of hearts that you are ill and that it affecting your ability to carry out a normal life. You are distressed because the people who are supposed to be able to help you, aren't. Instead they are accusing you of being mentally ill. you may just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

this is a serious illness and it sounds like your symptoms are just now becoming worse. find a doc, such as the FFC's or one of the docs who have taken Jacob Teitelbaum's courses, and see someone who will believe you and help you rather than put you down. Blessings to you. Jen102
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Welcome Angelfoo:

Just a suggestion: why not try a rheumatologist. Mine treats people with FM and is terrific at keeping me as pain free as possible.

You sound like you are in terrible shape and need to streamline your healthcare.

I would make a list of names of new neurologist, rheumatologist and GP. I would try them all and say that you believe you might have FM and ask them to help.
    Ask them to check your trigger points. Search on net for 'FM trigger points'. Take the position map with you.

That's my suggestion.

I hope things work out well for you.

Again, welcome.

nyrofan
  4. angelfoo

angelfoo New Member

I feel so alone and just you responding and understanding means so much. I read my post after I posted it it sounds crazy and like I am confused. I am very confused. I am going to see a Holistic MD June 23rd Dr. Woliner in he is suppose to be highly recommended I got his name from Mary J Shomon site. He does not take insurance but I am really in bad shape this time. I hope I can make it until then.
    Angelfoo
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Angelfoo:

Well, you are not alone anymore. It is normal to be confused because FM is so complicated. Seeing the holistic doctor is a good idea for supplements. Many of them do help.
    I still would not rule out a workover with a rheumatologist with FM trigger point print out in hand.

Whatever you do, sweet one, do not fret anymore.

nyrofan
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

If you are seeing him tomorrow, make sure you have all you symptoms written down and list how they affect you. It's easy to forget even that. Include all your cognitive difficulties.
    If he doesn't believe in Fibro, then you won't get much help from him. Decide beforehand that all he can do is reassure you that nothing else serious is going on. Once he does that, move on to someone who can better address the CFS/FM.
    Can you take someone with you when you see him? That often helps if you can't remember and it might keep him a little more honest!

Good luck
    Kathy.
  7. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

You never know what to expect or how he feels about FMS and CFS. It has been my experience that most male Dr.s talk down to me and dismiss my feelings and observations as being "hormonal" or something. I finally started to take my husband to my Dr. appts. with me. He is a really nice guy and a supervisor at work, but he doesn't take any crap from anyone, including my Dr. In fact, I've caught the Dr. talking to my husband instead of me--it's like "hey I'm the sick one here! Before we get into the Dr.s office I make sure my husband knows why we are there and what I want from the Dr. His memory is very good and he can articulate what I usually can't put into words. Besides, I start to cry right off the bat.

My Dr. treats my husband like an intelligent human being and so I feel he gives him more information than he would normally give me. It isn't fair and it isn't right but what's a girl gonna do? After several visits, my husband stops going with me when he can't get away from work.

Another reason I take my hubby is he can remember what the Dr. said. There's been plenty of times I've had to go and ask him what the Dr. said about something. I always right down what I want to ask the Dr. But it's next to impossible to write down the answers while you're talking. Good Luck LuAnn