3 Days Without Zoloft

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Nov 9, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

I was forgetful in re-filling the Zoloft which had no refills and needed to be authorized by my primary. They in turn were late calling the pharmacy back with authorization, so granmama went 3 days without the med.

My first symptom was a headache, then a feeling of disassociation. Also, it seemed difficult to walk straight and concentrate. The last morning, I was very sensitive and would cry at the least little thing.

Never, ever will that happen again!

I feel fine now, back on schedule.
    Several months ago, I considered going off the Zoloft slowly with my doctor's help. But, family situations have made me stick with it in order to cope.

I know some here disappove of this drug. I have been on it since 1999. My doc put me on it while my mom was in a nursing home and I was having problems coping with her health and impending death. One day, I literally freaked out in the nursing home's dining room, got my mom and wheeled her out of there as quick as I could.
    Noise still seems to bring on anxiety.

Another thing, do any of you have difficulty hearing in a loud enviroment? Background noise really disturbs me.

thanks again for any replies,
    granmama
  2. granmama

granmama New Member

I was forgetful in re-filling the Zoloft which had no refills and needed to be authorized by my primary. They in turn were late calling the pharmacy back with authorization, so granmama went 3 days without the med.

My first symptom was a headache, then a feeling of disassociation. Also, it seemed difficult to walk straight and concentrate. The last morning, I was very sensitive and would cry at the least little thing.

Never, ever will that happen again!

I feel fine now, back on schedule.
    Several months ago, I considered going off the Zoloft slowly with my doctor's help. But, family situations have made me stick with it in order to cope.

I know some here disappove of this drug. I have been on it since 1999. My doc put me on it while my mom was in a nursing home and I was having problems coping with her health and impending death. One day, I literally freaked out in the nursing home's dining room, got my mom and wheeled her out of there as quick as I could.
    Noise still seems to bring on anxiety.

Another thing, do any of you have difficulty hearing in a loud enviroment? Background noise really disturbs me.

thanks again for any replies,
    granmama
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have a great deal of difficulty sorting out conversation from background noise. Even having the TV on when someone is talking to me causes me to miss out on either the conversation or the TV, or both because it all gets jumbled together.

Last time I saw my doc I talked to him about cutting back on my Zoloft and then we decided to hold off since the sniper was still on the loose, along with some other issues I'm dealing with. I may ask again the next time I see him, though.

Barbara
  4. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I take Zoloft too and I have actually forgotten to take it (thanks for reminding me) for a few days. I sit here in a terrible mental state at the moment. I feel like you said so disassociated. I feel very isolated, alone. Even though I am not alone. I hate this feeling. I know exactly what you mean. Noise and bright lights aggravate me. Bright lights espeacially. They just BLAIR out at me.
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I take Zoloft and it has been a lifesaver for me. I will go off it eventually when the stresses I have to deal with right now become more manageable. Meanwhile, I am thankful for the drug.

I too have a terrible time hearing in a loud environment. My solution is to carry earplugs with me at all times - just a pair of foam earplugs that can be inserted far into the ear if you want to block a lot of things out or just slightly into the ear if you just want to deaden the background noise.

Thanks to the earplugs, I can go to a movie when I have the energy. I have even gone to some concerts and musicals which would have been unbearable without the earplugs.

Just a thought. Pepper
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Glad to hear you are feeling better---no criticism in taking meds that make life good :)
    I, too am really bothered by background noise, and have trouble hearing. It also affects my concentration. It is as if I cannot single one source out, and flit back and forth, thus not gaining anything.
    Hey pepper, I just got some earplugs too, aren't they great? I usually have my four kids plus four grandkids zipping through the house. It really helps put a damper on the noise, yet I can still hear well enough. Think I will begin carrying a pair in my purse, for the car rides with the teens, and their music.
    Karen
  7. granmama

granmama New Member

I think what is really sad is when you are dining out and your husband or friends are speaking and all you hear is nothing but the background noise and all you see are their lips moving!!!

After awhile, it starts getting embarrassing saying "what"?
    Now, I'm just 52 and I know I'm not losing my hearing!
    Are we just more sensitive than others to noise?

I can't drive at night either, I'm like a deer caught in headlights. My brain can't respond quick enough and I have been known to go off-road. Good thing I got some new All-Terrain tires for my Expedition!!!

I feel comforted that I am not alone with this, but I guess it's another thing we have to deal with this DD.
    Ear plugs might be an answer for me too. Thanks!

granmama

8. maxtout

maxtout New Member

.....for about 18 months and it has really helped my concentration, but I think I know what you're talking about as far as background noise goes. If someone is talking directly to me and there's music playing in the background, it seems like my wires get crossed and I can't understand a word they're saying. Once the music is turned off, I'm fine. This bothers me terribly, because I used to love music on all the time, but I find now that to be able to concentrate while driving or doing anything else, it has to be quiet or I feel like I'm distracted. That feeling was even worse before I was put on Zoloft, so I don't think it's the Zoloft that causes us to get so overwhelmed by background noise, it's probably just another one of those weird symptoms related to the FMS.
  9. achy

achy New Member

And it seems like it's stopped working. With all the bad publicity the srri's are getting now I think I will switch to something safer...if I can figure out what that is LOL
    I too can't handle lots of noise. We went to Walmart Superstore the other day and I litterally lost it. Not a panic attack, just an "Sensory overload attack" I had to sit down (thanks Goodness hubby was there) and really work on myself to block out the nose and commotion. I couldn't thinks or concentraye on what I was doing.
    Bright lights get me too...especially the shadows driving in and out of shade!! OMG I hate it.
    BUT, I don't think it's the zoloft...I had this long before I took Z.
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

Long before I was put on Zoloft I had this problem. Just after becoming ill with CFIDS I found the noise problem one of the hardest things I had to deal with. I was still teaching and the noise of the school and the schoolyard caused me to have panic attacks. One day the power went off in the school and the darkness started all the kids hooting and hollering. I had to leave the school.

I have friends with CFIDS who do not take any anti-depressants and suffer terribly with the noise problem.

Note to granmama: My husband and I were out for dinner last night. The restaurant was very noisy so I put in my ear plugs just slightly. I could still hear his voice across the table - the ear plugs were just enough to block out the other voices and the music.

Pepper
  11. granmama

granmama New Member

I will give it a shot. Our 26th anniversary is Tuesday and we plan on dining out.

granmama
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Noise, light, smell, taste, and touch can all be sensitive for us due to the slight seizure state of our brains from neurological changes brought on by CFS/FMS. Antidepressants which cause our neurons to fire even faster can actually exacerbate the problem.

Read Dr. Paul Cheney's article on Klonopin in our library. It does an excellent job of describing this problem. Also read his sister article on SSRI antidepressants.

Since taking Klonopin, my sleep is now restful, my anxiety has disappeared, my sensory overload is greatly diminished, and it helps my tinnitus too.

Docs hand out antidepressants like candy to help us get through a crisis or because they have "heard" that they are helpful for FMS. Unfortunately, most of these docs are unqualified to be prescribing such heavy-hitting drugs. They simply mask problems and can have some very serious side effects. Yet, almost every article and phamplet on our illnesses mentions low doses of antidepressants as viable treatments.

Therapy is such a help for our situational depression and a must for clinical depression which is a whole different ballgame and usually requires medication.

Love, Mikie