3 month wait for Pain Clinic. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Mar 30, 2006.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

I did not get in until June 23. Do you think they can help? Is it worth the wait? Any experience anyone?

Many thanks
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

But I would keep the appt. I would also try to see someone else in the mean time if you need some meds to tie you over until then, but that's just my opinion. You are more likely to get your pain treated the way it needs to be by a pain clinic than anywhere else.

Take care,

Leanne
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Pain docs are just like other docs, some good, some bad. I do think if one can find a good pain doc he or she will be worth his or her weight in gold. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. lolee

lolee New Member

I had to wait 2 months for my first appointment. But when I got ther I saw why . . . . . the Dr and his RN spent like 2 1/2 hours with me!!! I couldn't believe it! I walked away with Rx's for what I REALLY neded, not what some screwball THOUGHT I would need, I had been listened to, had a COMPLETE exam, was filled with a sense of acceptence, EVERYTHING!!!!

So, like I said for me it was worth it!! I love my Pain Doc and his staff!

lolee
  5. meowee

meowee New Member

I sure appreciate your input. Yes, I have fibro and cfs. I have seen all the doctors, neuros, rheumo, etc. My family doctor is the one sending me to the pain clinic. Three months ia a long wait while in pain, but I will keep my appointment and continue seeing my family doctor every 3 weeks. So many in pain, how awful it is.

Thank you and good luck to all.
  6. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I recently went to a Pain Clinic (see my post labeled; Dr. Friedlis). Was not what i was expecting!! I don't know... i had this crazy idea, that i would get some actual pain relief there!!! Silly me! I don't know what gave me that idea!?!!!??!!!

I know there are some good pain relief dr's out there, so don't mean to discourage you! I'm still looking for mine, as this situation just recently happened to me... but, it was definitely a learning experience!!

1.) I know not to just rely on other's experience
    2.) Don't just rely on the dr's website or brochure
    3.) Make a list of what is most important for you to get out of this dr!
    4.) Take that list and translate it into a questionnaire that you'd like to ask the dr. (ie. do you prescribe pain meds? do you treat and specialize in FMS/CFS? what forms of treatment do you use? etc.)
    5.) Call the dr's office and schedule a phone apt. with the dr. to go over your questionaire.

This can help you determine if the apt is worth keeping or if you need to keep looking! Really wish i had done this myself... but, you live and learn... and now i know!!

Hope this will help! Remember the DR. works for you!

TM~
  7. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I have waited for many Drs, clinics, studys etc.
    Some times it doesnt work out and sometimes it does!

Everyone has to try EVERYTHING they come accross because one thing can change your life!

I encourage everything, I told one of my EX-DOCTORS who was not even helpful this: "Seems you dont want to help me because it may take years to find a good treatment so I will try a voo-doo Dr, anything is better than your treatment which was- live with the pain!"

His head snapped back and coudlnt beleive he was insulted to his face and said to me "Well dont do anythng crazy"
    I said "I already did by coming here thinking you would help me" as I turned and walked away he started to say my name but his voice faded as I left the office....

So try it and if it works it was worth the wait and if it doesnt work than you know you are trying everything possible to get the pain out!!!
  8. Flibble

Flibble New Member

I have found pain clinics to be a complete waste of time. The last one I went to (at the Mayo Clinic) said I should keep doing what I was doing. I said if that were enough I wouldn't be here. He just looked at me. Appointment over! Good Luck! Anything is worth a try! Flibble
  9. meowee

meowee New Member

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean, I have had that same response from doctors but I never had a witty reply. I hope this pain clinic helps.

Good luck and thanks.
  10. mary124

mary124 New Member

Keep your appointment. I go to one. They are great to me.
    The first appointment I went to, we went over my medications and treatment plans, of course, since I am on coumadin, the treatments are very limited!! (mainly its meds) Most likely, you will have to sign a contract, which was ok with me. If you don't like this doctor then you can find someone else. Orin the meantime, see if you can find someone else.
  11. meowee

meowee New Member

I hope I have a good experience like you did. I will keep you posted.

[ advertisement ]