3 Mycos by PCR 10 years ago

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DrNicolson, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

Skeptik2 - 3 Mycos by PCR 10 years ago

I had 3 Mycos by PCR 10 years ago: M. pneumoniae, M. fermentans, M. genitalia. (The VA did not take seriously.) I have a hard time with doxycycline because of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

I have heard M. fermentans can be serious: What should I be aware of and what signs or symptoms are critical to be evaluated by my VA doctor?

I have NASH (nonalcoholic liver disease), COPD, FM, CFS, peripheral neuropathy, spinal issues, and recently diagnosed with MG (myasthenia gravis) ocular, and take 1 pyridostigmine per day, which helps.

The reduce the irritable bowl effects caused by antibiotics we suggest taking 50 mg Benadryl 30 min before the antibiotics. Also, there are some natural remedies that reduce the irritation of antibiotics, such as lemon-olive oil. Two hours after antibiotics, large doses of probiotics should be taken to restore depleted gut bacteria.

Infections, such as M. fermentans, can be dangerous and should not be taken lightly. The US Army has published studies on Armed Forces personnel that only had this one infection that gradually progressed to organ failure and death. However, most patients with this infection do not have a fatal disease but are incapacitated to varying degrees. The most common symptoms (not in any particular order) are: fatigue, joint pain and stiffness, memory loss, headaches, skin rashes, depression, gastrointestinal and pulmonary problems, diarrhea, sinus congestion, sleep difficulties, vision problems, hearing problems, muscle pain, night sweats, bloating, hair loss, vertigo, heart problems, among other signs and symptoms.

Can M. fermentans and other Mycoplasma species cause some of the problems that you list? Yes, they can, especially peripheral neuropathy, and pulmonary, liver and ocular problems, among others. Many patients with neurodegenerative, neurobehavioral and other chronic diseases have these infections. I direct you to my recent reviews on the topic in Laboratory Medicine and the British Journal of Medical Practitioners. They can be downloaded from our website, www.immed.org, as PDF documents.

2. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

My tests were done privately, by the lab you helped Dr. Baseman
    set up with your testing. I get all my care at the VA.

Why doesn't the VA take my testing seriously? They do watch me
    closely, but they tell me they have no idea what has caused my
    NASH or Peripheral Neuropathy. Could they be doing more?

Is there any specific test that you know the VA will do? My dr. is
    fairly good at 'looking' at things that the VA approves of...

I shall download the pdf and take it to my doctor; this should be
    interesting! I can't count how many of the symptoms I have from
    your list.

Again, thank you for this amazing week of your attention to us;
    I'm sure we all appreciate it more than we can express.

3. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

I am sorry but I can't control what the VA accepts or doesn't accept as fact. For the most part I believe that their orders are to observe and report when it comes to Mycoplasma. However, I was told that some VAMC do accept the tests on Mycoplasma and do the appropriate treatments as we originally suggested. An example may be Dr. Victor Gordon of the VAMC at Manchester, NH.

Prof Nicolson