30 Day Protein Drink Challenge SIGN THIS IF YOU WANT TO DO IT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alyssalyn, Dec 19, 2008.

1. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

I have recently found out quite accidentally that I have had a protein deficiency and that it may be for as long as 19 years!

If you have a reversed sleep wake cycle and mood issues it is especially important for you to do this because melatonin and serotonin are produced from protein. At the bottom I am going to challenge you to get a protein drink and see if it will do the same for you.

For the last month I have been using protein drinks from the health food store, and I did doses of it numerous times per day - much more than suggested servings. It did a number of things for me: it set my sleep back from 4 am back to about midnight. It took away 10 years of muscle tension and pain. It made me go from low stamina to sudden stamina. In the past two days I have been able to push vehicles out of the snow and shovel not just my walk but also for an elderly neighbor and a pregnant neighbor...even walking down the street with a shovel and helping whoever needs it in this code red snow disaster in my area. Usually this is impossible after 20 minutes .. horrendous muscle pain (myofascial pain) sets in, in my shoulders. It is helping me some with the frequent urination and muscle twitching that has been occurring and has not found successful treatment yet (I am not sure if this is the total answer to that, but I think it is). It has made my sleep more refreshing, and my day more alert, has made my mood better, and suddenly I was able to get organized and the housework that normally it might take a month to do could get done in a day or two. I wasn't able to do more than 2 pushups and that was painful. I can do 10 now and it isn't painful.

I would like to challenge anyone who reads this to go get a protein drink ... any brand, and start experimenting, and do it for at least 30 days. I am convinced that after 30 days you will not ever want to be without a protein drink again. I find myself having a hard time eating beans (burned out on them growing up) and very many nuts and I have always been a vegetarian, so this is a very challenging area.

If anyone who participates in this challenge succeeds in the way that I have and I had a way of getting real world contact with you we may need to put this in a book. The more I read, FM and CFS has strong ties to protein deficiency.

Go for it, do what you can to load up on protein! Sign this post if you want to do it, and come back and say what it did for you!

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, alyssalyn.

I'm happy to hear that you have received so much benefit from increasing your protein intake. I commented on your recent other thread about what I believe is the biochemical basis for this.

You noted that you have always been a vegetarian. I have been studying CFS for over 12 years, and during this time I have encountered quite a few people who have reported that they have been vegetarians. I think there is a correlation here, but as far as I know, it hasn't been studied in a controlled way. I have studied some particular cases in which the person was not only a vegetarian, but also engaged in a significant amount of aerobic exercise, which places more demands on protein supplies. I have seen a few lab test reports of urine amino acids, such as the Doctor's Data urine amino acids report (available without a doctor's order through www dot directlabs dot com) in which nearly all the essential amino acids levels are extremely low. I have even seen results of the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile (a urine organic acids test available in the same way) in which the Krebs cycle metabolites were also rock-bottom. Normally, these metabolites are replenished by amino acids in a process called anaplerosis, but when the amino acids levels go low enough, because of low protein intake, these metabolite levels collapse, also, and the person becomes really fatigued. This is not unlike the situation seen in third-world countries, when good protein sources are unavailable.

I realize that this can be a sensitive subject with some people, because they are vegetarians as a result of their personal convictions or religious beliefs. We all have to make our own decisions about those things, and as you probably know, it is possible to get most of the essential nutrients from plant-based sources (with the exception of vitamin B12), but it is not easy to do, unless a person pays careful attention to their diet. Incidentally, I think that B12 deficiency may be part of the picture of why vegetarian diets seem to be associated with some cases of CFS. In the glutathione depletion--methylation cycle block hypothesis for CFS, functional deficiency of vitamin B12 is a key part. There is more than one way that such a functional deficiency can come about, but one of them is frank B12 deficiency.

Best regards,

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am also a vegetarian. I do eat chicken, fish and eggs.

I know that protein in the form of red meat is loaded with fats. Is the drink also?

Years ago a blood test showed I was low in protein. But this is not showing up now.

Would I still need the protein drink. Would this help my ferritin level which is lower than I would like it to be?

I have been thinking of trying one.

Take care.

4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've been drinking Nature's Way, Whey Protein for a few wks. I was tested for amino acid levels and mine were way out of whack. (you can read my post "Mitochondrial/Metabolic Disorder").

My doc suggested an amino acid powder that contains all of the essential AAs, so I tried this one. My sister did some taste testing of different products and found this to be the tastiest and it dissolves easily in a shaker bottle.. I have the chocolate flavor and it's pretty good, ordered it from iHerb.com.

Like Rich said, the AAs are important building blocks in our biochemistry. He really knows his stuff:)...I am also taking a specific L-Carnitine supp because my level was extremely low (main source is red meat).

I'm also on B12 shots every 3 days plus a few other supplements to balance my biochem. I think I'm feeling a bit better this wk, but at first was feeling much worse. I had to cut back on dosage of a couple of things and hold off on a couple more supps that I will add back on later.

My sister started drinking this protein drink for brkfst and swears she can go for hrs without getting hungry or having a low blood sugar attack. I haven't had that benefit, but I'm also just drinking once a day as prescribed.

I'll keep you posted on my progress, but since I started all of the other supps and shots at the same time, my results will not be just from the protein drinks. It is good stuff tho, it has all the daily reqts of vits and lots of other healthy stuff including digestive enzymes.

Glad to hear you're feeling rejuvenated, just remember, DON'T Overdo it! That's one thing I have to constantly remind myself when I have a good day and try to catch up on everything I've gotten behind on!

Happy Holidays, stay warm out there! Hermit
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2008]
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Please tell me what to buy and how to prepare a tasty protein drink. As I need to increase my protein. Besides when I don't feel up to eating a regular meal this would be a good subsitute.

Something simple please. Could you just put whey protein in water or on food ?

Thanks for your help,
  6. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

You really must go by what you think might taste good. When I started doing the protein drinks I chose the flavors that I thought would taste good because I was afraid maybe I wouldn't do enough of it if it taste like cardboard or something. I started Spirutein, which has numerous flavors. I really didn't like the peach or the strawberry but really like the chocolate peanut butter flavor, and I also added extra peanut butter. If I whizzed it up with the one brand of cow's milk I could tolerate, or soy milk, or goat milk, this was wonderful. I did it several times a day and reduced my food consumption since my digestion was messed up. It helped a lot. This was the beginning of getting my muscle function and alertness back.

I am incredulous that for four days I have been able to shovel snow and also be alert during the day and start sleeping at 11 pm or 12 am instead of 4 am. The protein made that much difference! Prior to this, I was sleepy during the day, alert at night and not sleeping well, had to go to bed sometime between 2 and 4 am in order to be able to sleep at all, wasn't dreaming, would have muscle pain from just a few minutes of raking or shoveling or any type of exertion like that.

If you go to a store like Super Supplements (or even Wal-Mart has them), you can check out the different protein drink options. There is Whey Powder that many people with CFS take - that is a type of protein. That also has helped me. It is one of the ones that I tried. However, it isn't flavored. You would have to decide what milk and what flavoring you would want to blend up with it. If I were flavoring it, my favorites would be banana, strawberry, or blueberry. Everybody's different in what they like but I hope you can find something that you want to try. I just mix the Whey Protein up in water usually because I am not extremely taste sensitive. Doctor suggested getting the kind of vanilla that is in glycerin, not alcohol, which works, too, for flavoring it.

This is beyond amazing, and you know what else? The brain's neurotransmitters - which create our emotions, moods, appetite, and our general sanity depend on having protein and B vitamins and they depend on each other to function. Can't have function of all the neurotransmitters if you are just missing one thing. The Spirutein does have both protein and B vitamins. I am sure many of the others do too. Am trying different ones.
  7. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

This week I have been immersed in studying about neurotransmitters serotonin, melatonin, GABA, and acetylcholine.

This has led me to the importance, the VERY VERY AMAZING IMPORTANCE - of having sufficient protein and B vitamins BOTH. Those work hand in hand and if you are deficient in either the protein or the B's it will cause not only physical but mental and emotional problems. When people use drugs for serotonin they are basically trying to replace the neurotransmitters that went out because they had a deficiency. Vitamin B6 is an activator of many neurotransmitters, and B12 is too. These are especially important for people with CFS/FMS. Sunflower seeds and garlic are especially high in Vitamin B6 and activate the neurotransmitters, especially the one that is responsible for dreaming (acetylcholine). Dreaming sleep will make you feel really good emotionally and physically.

My sleep schedule was wacko and the prescribed melatonin didn't work, so I read and read - where does melatonin come from? From L-Tryptophan which is an amino acid from protein. The pineal gland takes it and turns it to serotonin for the day (for mood, appetite, motivation). Therefore if you are protein deficient, most likely you are depressed and have sleep problems.

I don't put a lot of stock in tests because nothing comes up on them yet there are problems that are not validated.

I don't know what ferritin is...

I wasn't raised with meat, let alone red meat. I do kind of try to gear away from saturated fat and am doing the tame stuff - like chicken and turkey. Turkey is loaded with L-Tryptophan, which the body, using Vitamin B6, turns it to Serotonin/Melatonin, for sleep and mood.
  8. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

The Whey Protein has really been helping physically and I thank you for the lead for the one from iHerb.com. Anything is easier to do if it is flavored, for sure!

I have found that liquid B12 from the store Super Supplements that I have here locally works quite well. I've tried a shot and don't know if it does anything. And trying B12 pills. Probably had a B12 deficiency for years. But the brain's neurotransmitters depend on B12, B6, the rest of the B vitamins, and protein.

The one thing I have read is the more protein you have the more Vitamin B6 you need. And that is because B6 makes the neurotransmitters, as it gets the raw materials for them coming in the door.

Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter that causes dreaming. There are a number of things it has to have, protein, B vitamins, vitamin C. I am studying it all out. For years I have noted that when I dream I feel well and when I don't dream I don't feel well. People say "Everybody dreams" but I usually know it if I don't dream...especially if the "sleep" was so shallow that I knew I was awake.

9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian (milk/eggs/plants) most of adult life. Consume fish on occasion, esp. inexpensive and Omega rich sardines. Also, peanut butter, beans, rice, whole grain...

I think my diet is pretty solid re protein but a test is so easy.

Have always found B vit.s helpful. B6 has a positive correlation to how vivid your dream recall is. Too much B6 can bring about disturbingly vivid dreams and recall.

Interesting stuff. Thanks all.

~ Peace ~