5 drugs for FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Dec 22, 2010.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I once posted that my doctor had said there were 5 types of drugs that were used in the treatment of FM but I couldnt remember them all. I was at the doctor today and asked her again. This is what she said...a muscle relaxer, a pain killer, an anti-inflammatory, a drug for FM such as Cymbalta or Savella and an anti-anxiety drug.

I am taking Buspar, Flexeril, Cymbalta, Propanolol, Xanax, Mobic, as well as supplements.

Again, this is just what my doctor said. She is scheduling me for an xray of my lower back to make sure that I dont have any issues with my discs. She's also scheduling a sleep study because she seems to think that I am having sleep apnea as I am always sleepy and have no energy. I think that's just the depression and FM but the tests are free to me, so I guess I can do them to please her. Besides the more we can do to either rule out or confirm is better than doing nothing.

They took blood to do another complete workup. Had those done in August too, but she's wondering if some of my issues might be from changes in my metabolism. Whatever, just make me feel better. :)

2. dzlady

dzlady New Member

They just changed me from Savella to Cymbalta yesterday, so I dont know if its working better or not.

She also just prescribed the Mobic. And I havent had a chance to get it filled yet.

I only take the flexeril when needed and honestly, I have it in my purse and I had forgotten that I even had it.

I only take the xanax when needed as well and have only taken a few of them over the last month and a half. It was prescribed when my son was going thru the court system and I was really freaking out a lot over that. The few times I've been out Christmas shopping I have taken half of one as the crowded stores and the rude impatient people were causing me to be shakey, irritable and sick to my stomach.

The propanolol is for the migraines and my blood pressure...it has been working well.

The Buspar seems to be helping some. Its for anxiety and stress. I guess its working, that or I've not been as stressed lately?

I also take Aloe Vera, D3, a multivitamin, fish oil, Acai, and I think that's it.
  3. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've been taking Cymbalta since it came out as an antidepressant. I also take tramadol for early morning stiffness and trazodone to help me sleep. My doctor had me on amitriptyline, but I hate the weight gain. I was taking Mobic, but was worried about what it would do to my stomach.

I can handle some pain, but what I can't handle is not getting good sleep. That sets me up for depression and it becomes a vicious circle.
  4. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I have been taking it since it was prescribed for me back in December. I honestly think that this is the ONE thing that has helped me. I had an MRI back in March and found that I have not one, but two bulging discs in my back that is part of the cause of the intense pain in my left leg. Both of my legs hurt, but the left one I was ready to cut off, almost literally, it hurt so dang bad. Since I have been taking Mobic, I dont have such severe pain as I have had. Although the last week, I have been having all kinds of pain in my back and left leg. To the point I feel like I am a 90 yr old woman.

Mobic has not bothered my stomach and didnt think it was doing anything for me and almost quit taking it until I got the results of my MRI. Then I thought about it and figured that was what was reducing the pain in my legs. I, too, was worried about it bothering my stomach as in long term use and ulcers.

What do you mean by Pendulum?