5 htp and sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnBee, Apr 24, 2007.

1. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

My HMO rheum. Dr. suggested I try 5 htp for my very frustrating, seemingly bulletproof insomnia. Have tried it a few days with no results. Anyone out there had any luck with this supplement? How about tricyclic anti depressants for treating insomnia? What works for you?
  2. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Have tried 5 htp along with GABA and it did not do anything for the insomnia.

Right now I am taking the following and usually get about 6 hours sleep, which for me is very good.

250 mg. magnesium
    .5 Ativan
    15 mg. Doxepin
    and Taurine (4 capsules at dinner time and 4 at bedtime)

In addition to this, I cannot eat anything sweet during the day or have anything with caffeine in it.

It seems that I have to change my protocol every so often because the things that help usually don't help long term.

Hope this helps.

Marlene
  3. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

Hi. I have not tried 5HTP so I can't tell you if it works or not.
    The only thing I would say is that you should not take it with SSRI's (anti-depressants like Prozac, etc.) because it can result in too much serotonin.
    I recently started taking low dose Trazodone for sleep. I posted about it this morning in a post entitled:
    Any Suggestions for deep sleep without Hangover?

Good luck,
    Kimberly
  4. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I take clonazepam (just increased from .5mg to 1mg last night), 400mg 5-HTP and 10mg Doxepin. So far it is helping me fall asleep and stay asleep. I take the 5-HTP for depression. I have heard that L-tryptophan works good for sleep. My mom say's that 500-1000mg of L-Tryptophan makes her fall asleep.