5-HTP. Any experiences?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Nov 2, 2002.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Does anyone have any experience using 5-HTP as a sleep aid? It is a precursor to serotonin. I am starting it tonight.

Thanks,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

Does anyone have any experience using 5-HTP as a sleep aid? It is a precursor to serotonin. I am starting it tonight.

Thanks,
    Beth.
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

It didn't help.
    Susanne
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

my daughter tried it and she was sleeping thru like a baby first time ever. the warnings scared her off so she is sleepless again.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

..that basically said it is the best thing since sliced bread. Many recommend it.
    There was a warning in the small print of the bottle of 5-HTP that I bought that said people with severe gastrointestinal problems should not take it. I figured I have IBS and GERD, which are not what I'd call severe problems. I was wrong. One 100mg. dose roto-rootered my entire digestive tract. My insides felt like your knee feels when you fall down and all the skin comes off, leaving a red, gooey sore. It took 3 days to recover. Because of all the glowing reports I'd read, and because of my strong desire to get off drugs so I wouldn't have to put up with doctors anymore, I bought the ProHealth brand of 5-HTP, which did not have a warning on it, so I had hopes. I waited a few weeks and tried again, with the same horrible results. Drat! I understand this problem is very rare, but you might want to think twice, esp. if you have something worse than I do, like Crohns' disease, or inflammatory bowel disease, etc.
    I hope you are one of the ones it works miracles for!
    KLutzo
  6. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

and came across the info that Remeron had an effect upon 5-HTP and 3-HTP, best I can recall...Remeron was one of the first SSRI's approved by FTA for use in clinical depression and that was in 1996....that was selective whereas Prozac effected all seratonin receptors.
  7. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I went to the health food store last week and the young man at the counter suggested I try 5-HTP. Have not bought it yet. Did not know it may cause GI distress. I had a
    peptic ulcer sometime ago and the spot is still prone to
    tenderness. This is why I appreciate this website so much.
    There is so much real-life information from individual
    experiences.