5 HTP but no improvement in sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sallys, Jun 29, 2006.

1. sallys

sallys New Member

in fact i'm lying awake longer than before

i'm so disappointed becasue i'd really believed that it was going to help me get some decent sleep and that would just help me to feel a little better.

the friend who recommended it is greatly helped by it - i will try takin it in the morning (i think i have tried this but can't remember if it was any different.

what i really don't understand is that i did take it for a month (about 2-3 months ago) and i did sleep better and didn't lie awake for hours trying to fall asleep.

so weird this body of mine......
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I use a combiation of melatonin, valerian and a sedating mood stabilizer called Seroquel. I take them 90 prior to bedtime and try to keep bedtime the same time every day and to truly do all I can to RELAX prior to bedtime.

Another popular non-dependence forming sleep aid is Trazodone.

I used trazodone for years, and now use seroquel in the same way. I found that adding a valerian/chamomile/hops supplement and melatonin keep me sleeping better and longer.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine hcl) is also helpful for many people. It's the same ingredient as Tylenol PM but without the tylenol. It makes me jumpy, but my mom swears by it.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Before you give up on 5HTP, Sally, you might want to think about why it worked for you before. Did you take the same strength, at the same time? Do you have more stress now? I take 5HTP (50 mg) at night a few hours after dinner with grape juice. I don't know why, but the directions say that it works better this way. Maybe you need a stronger dose.

Lolalee
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I find that 5HTP is less effective than L-Tryptophan in aiding sound sleep. The 5Htp seems better suited for people who are are mostly looking to improve mood or anxiety. But, no matter which one you use, you must take it with Vit B-6. I use P5P, which is the activated form of B-6 as I cannot convert it to the active state. So try taking it with B-6 before giving up, then maybe consider using L-Tryptophan.
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I found that 5-htp actually made me hyper rather than sleepy! Weird, I know. Sometimes meds don't always work the same for different people. I actually had to take it during the day rather than at night.

I take ZMA that I order from here for sleeping. If I really have a hard time sleeping, I take 1/2 of a flexeril and that usually puts me out.

Take care, from another Sally!
  6. sallys

sallys New Member

for your replies
    what i'm thinking is seeing that i've bought these rather expensive tablets and even if it doesn't help with sleep i could continue taking it in the morning - as it would be helping increase my seretonin???

and then i can explore some of your suggestions for other things that help with sleep.

just disappointed as it was supposed to help and it was not cheap.

thanks sally