5-HTP for Fibromyalgia or Headaches or SAM-E

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, May 4, 2009.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

Has anyone had any luck with these supplements? 5-HTP or SAM-e

I tried 5-htp several years ago for sleep and I didn't sleep well and my headaches got worse. I was taking at night I believe right before bedtime without food.

I am going to try again but take 50mg with food during the DAY to see if I can tolerate that dose.

If that doesn't work I'm going to re-try SAM-e. Cutting pills to get less than 200mg and taking with food initially. I got severe gasto. pain when taking on empty stomach when I tried this before.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

MsSusan - I've taken 5-htp for sleep for several years now. I take 100 mg. before bed. But, when I first started taking it, it did give me a headache for about a week. However, it was helping with sleep so much I stuck it out and the headache stopped after a week. Because it's an amino acid, I believe it should be taken on an empty stomach.

You might try l-tryptophan instead - I've never had a headache with that, but unfortunately it costs more than 5-htp.

I'ver never tried Sam-e.

I also take 200 mg. l-theanine (another amino acid) before bed. It's very calming, helps the brain produce GABA.

I wish there was a magic pill with no side effects to make everything better!

Good luck -

3. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

i tried 5htp after reading the book by dr. r. murphree---treating and beating cfids and fibromyalgia....i got the worse migraine attack but it helped my sleep -, alot. It may cause headaches by increasing serotonin to much....taking it with food may help lessen this reaction. Even a tiny bit makes me get a migraine....can someone tell me more about the tryptophan and if it is related to 5htp.

5htp will help get you into restorative sleep---you will never be well without addressing the issue of restorative sleep.