5-HTP update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Nov 15, 2002.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I may be on to something here. Since I've started taking 5-HTP, I've definitely been feeling better and handling stress better. Last Friday evening was "you can't there from here" in Southern California. It took me nearly 3 hours of traveling in fog and rain and horrible traffic, and hopping 7 different freeways to drive the 60 miles to my niece's house from work. Would've taken as long to get home, as there were two major accidents on that route as well. I expected to be laid out with a flare the next day, just in time for my sister's surprise birthday party (which was why I drove there in the first place!), but I was only achy and fatigued Saturday and Sunday, not really flared. I was surprised and delighted, believe me! I've also had less mental fog (good thing, on that awful drive!) for which I am very grateful.

I've only had one problem with the 5-HTP. If I take it in the evening, I wake up at 3:00 in the morning and can't get back to sleep. So, I take 50mg with breakfast and with lunch.

I plan to continue taking it. It is not prescription, it is not toxic, it is controlled by me and not by the doctor. Sounds good all around to me.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

I may be on to something here. Since I've started taking 5-HTP, I've definitely been feeling better and handling stress better. Last Friday evening was "you can't there from here" in Southern California. It took me nearly 3 hours of traveling in fog and rain and horrible traffic, and hopping 7 different freeways to drive the 60 miles to my niece's house from work. Would've taken as long to get home, as there were two major accidents on that route as well. I expected to be laid out with a flare the next day, just in time for my sister's surprise birthday party (which was why I drove there in the first place!), but I was only achy and fatigued Saturday and Sunday, not really flared. I was surprised and delighted, believe me! I've also had less mental fog (good thing, on that awful drive!) for which I am very grateful.

I've only had one problem with the 5-HTP. If I take it in the evening, I wake up at 3:00 in the morning and can't get back to sleep. So, I take 50mg with breakfast and with lunch.

I plan to continue taking it. It is not prescription, it is not toxic, it is controlled by me and not by the doctor. Sounds good all around to me.

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'm so glad it works for you.
    After only one 100 mg. dose, it destroyed my stomach, so that I could not eat solid food for several days. It felt like someone had gone inside me and torn off the top layer of skin all the way through my digestive system. I couldn't believe such a great product had done it, so I waited 3 wks., bought a different brand of it, and tried again, with the same awful result.
    From what I had read, 5-HTP was going to be the magic bullet for FMS, so I was dismayed that I could not take it, but I'm glad you can. Please keep us posted as you continue to improve.
    Klutzo
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I had read your post on this subject awhile back, and was concerned about the stomach lining reaction, as I, too, have GERD. I take Prilosec daily for it. I'm a little surprised, but pleased that for once, my stomach is handling something new. I am so sorry you can't tolerate 5-HTP. As people keep saying here, we are all so different, yet share something so similar.

I believe more and more that the basis for FMS and perhaps CFIDS too is a problem in the hormonal control system in the body caused by a trauma or an illness or a genetic glitch. Maybe research will bear that out some day. I KNOW we're not all just crazy! A little bit maybe, but that makes life more interesting.

Onward and upward.

Peace,
    Beth.