5 HTP vs. Antidepressants...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janasw1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I've been on every antidepressant under the sun...some worked a bit but the side effects were too much trouble. For those who have tried both...which have you found to work better? I've heard 5htp is pretty much the same thing without any side effects or liver damage, etc. I was on it for a bit a while back, but stopped when my doctor told me he didn't want me as a patient anymore :( ...Just curious about others' experiences with the two.

I'm not sure if I can take 5htp anyway though... I'm on a low dose of amitryptaline, so that might cause problems...

thanks in advance, sorry for the rambling, i tend to do that...
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I was on Zoloft, but after reading mountains of negative side effects caused by SSRI's of which Zoloft is one, I weaned myself off slowly, and started 5HTP which works much better for me. Please check to see if you can take 5HTP with Amitriptyline before you start to do that. I don't know if it is an SSRI or not. Check online. Marie
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I've never had an antidepressant work for me. I keep saying I'm not depressed but doctors like to hand these out like candy. Over the past zillion years, I have tried: Elavil, Trazodone, Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Klonopin, Valium, Librium, and Lexapro just to name a few. I've also tried St. John's Wort and other herbal remedies.

I just had a urine test to measure serotonin levels. My serotonin level is high and all of my neurotransmitters are in the normal range. Just like I said...I'm not depressed just in pain.
  4. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I'm sure I've already checked the interactions a million times, I just look up so many different things that I get to the point where I forget what information goes with what...

All the stress that goes along with being sick and figuring out what to do about it does NOT help with brain fog...
    It's like if you don't have it already you'll get it once your brain goes on information overload
  5. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I know what you mean... Somehow noone seems to understand that there's a DIFFERENCE between pain/fatigue and depression...

I wonder how these doctors would feel if WE were the ones handing them prescription after prescription for things they don't have...
  6. csl521

csl521 New Member

I TRIED LEXAPRO AWHILE AGO(FOR A DEPRESSION UNRELATED TO MY CHRONIC FATIGUE), I FELT LIKE MY FATIGUE GOT WORSE AND WORSE AND WORSE, I LITERALLY COULDN'T STOP YAWNING OR STAY AWAKE. THE SSRI CLASS IS MISERABLE FOR ME. MY PSYCHIATRIST PUT ME ON WELLBUTRIN, AN SNRI. IT'S SUPPOSED TO ACTUALLY GIVE YOU MORE ENERGY. IT DIDN'T FOR ME, BUT IT STABILIZED MY MOOD WITHOUT MAKING ME MORE FATIGUED THAN I ALREADY AM, SO THAT WAS GOOD.

I'D TRY ONE OF THOSE CLASSES, CYMBALTA IS ALSO ONE THAT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE A FATIGUE SIDE EFFECT.

WARNING THOUGH, IF YOU'RE PRONE TO ANXIETY AN SNRI MAY EXACERBATE THAT, TALK TO YOUR MD AND SEE. HOPE THAT HELPS....
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've not heard a whole lot of good things about 5HTP, although some people seem to find it at mildly helpful. I sometimes wonder if B vitamins (large doses) are just as effective.

People on the board have reported positive effects from the following two natural antidepressants:

DLPA (an amino acid; also helps with pain)

St. Johns Wort (be sure you buy a good brand that is standardized for hyperican as well as hyperforin)

I take both of those as well as another amino acid, l-theanine, myself.

L-theanine is designed to put the brain into the sort of relaxed state you get with meditation.

Few CFS sufferers seem to get any benefit from any antidepressants even if (like me) they have mood problems that are separate from CFS. (I do successfully take the mood stabilizer Lamictal though.)

Of antidepressants available in the US, Wellbutrin seems to be the most well-tolerated and well-liked. Still, most CFS sufferers don't seem to have luck with it, as far as I can tell.

Best, Lisa

8. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

9. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member