5-HTP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Dec 28, 2005.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hi,

I am thinking about starting 5-HTP for anxiety. How much do you start out with? Does it make you sleepy when you take it during the day? Thanks
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

bumping back to the top

Kelly
  3. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

I've read that 5-HTP and Cymbalta to not interact well. I don't know if you take Cymbalta but I wanted to make sure that you where aware
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Krissy,
    I take 100mg. at nite for sleep. I take amino acids during the day to help with mood. Tyrosine & DLPA. I think you could take 5-htp during the day if you started out slowly. It's really a matter of trying and see how it works. Like anything we use here, it works for some and not other's.

Good luck,
    K.
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I take 5-htp in the morning and it does not make me sleepy, but it does help me sleep at night. Actually, when I took it at night it kept me awake. But everyone's different.

I take 50 mg. first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and then 50 mg. more late morning on an empty stomach also.

It gave me a mild headache when I first started it, but it was helping with sleep so much I stuck it out and after about a week the headache went away.

I would suggest you start with 50 mg. or 100 mg. at the most, and see how you do. Some people take more, but I wouldn't take a higher dose until you see how you react to it.

Also, if you are already taking an SSRI, then you should NOT take 5-htp, as you might develop serotonin syndrome (too much serotonin, which can be dangerous)

I've been taking it now for a few years and have no bad side effects. I've recommended it to a few people, and they've all liked the way it made them feel.

Mary