Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by astroherb, Nov 17, 2009.

1. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I would love to hear everyone's experience with this supplement. I read somewhere that it was beneficial for FM. Then I read elsewhere just the opposite. Would appreciate first hand experiences with it.
  2. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Jean, I will check out the link you posted. My doctor wants to give it a try to regulate my night time cortisol surge. He probably knows what he is doing because he has helped me a lot so far. However, I like to know about what I am taking.

3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

5HTP is a natural product derived mostly from giffonia seed. The brain converts it to serotonin. Serotonin is a "I feel good" neurotransmitter. James Brown must have had lots of serotonin when he sang that song!
    The pineal gland converts serotonin to melatonin to help us sleep. Serotonin wakes us up.
    The pineal gland responds to light and was often called the 3rd eye by biologists. It was later found to be tied into the eye's response to light. This is why SAD is treated with lots of blue light during the day. ProHealth sells some of these devices. I made my own and bright light does help.

At night, you need to avoid Greens and Blues as these colors signal the pineal to keep the serotonin levels high. Yellow lamp shades filter blue and green. Or the ugly yellow florescent bug lights are out. I saw them at Home Depot. They screw into a standard lamp socket. Cheap experiment. Also avoid TV and PC monitors as they are rich and blues and greens.

If you have a strong magnifying glass, hold it up to the screen. Red, Green and Blue dots.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

astroherb - I've had a good experience with 5-htp, it has helped improve my sleep and I think my mood. I take 150 mg. a night, but it is recommended you start wtih a low dose (50 or 100 mg.) to see how you do. It gave me a moderate headache for about a week when I first started taking it, but was helping with sleep so much I stuck it out and the headache stopped and has not returned.

But - for night-time cortisol surge - like someone else recommended, take Seriphos. It works fantastically well. I started taking Seriphos around the same time I started the 5-htp (about 6 years ago). Initially I had to take 8 Seriphos capsules a day (it was trial and error to get the right dose) but it helped so much. I also learned it was best to take in the morning in divided doses on an empty stomach. After about 6 months or so I was getting extra tired and realized my cortisol levels were going to low so cut back. Now I take one capsule in the morning.

5-htp and Seriphos do two different things - 5-htp helps your brain produce serotonin, and Seriphos regulates cortisol (with no bad side effects!)

5. wldhrt

wldhrt New Member

The only caveat I would offer with taking this supplement is that if you're going to take it long term, you have to balance the serotonin production with dopamine production. Long term supplementation of 5-htp can deplete dopamine production (and vice-versa). Low dopamine levels have been implicated in the pain aspect of fibromyalgia. I had an experience while taking St. John's Wort to increase serotonin (for sleep); my fibro pain increased dramatically.
    I've also tried increasing (solely) my dopamine levels by taking an herb called mucuna that contains L-dopa. It made a difference - I woke up more alert, had less pain and fatigue, better sense of well-being, etc. But the effect wore off fairly quickly - probably due to the imbalance I had created taking only a dopamine enhancer, thus creating a serotonin depletion. This is why people with Parkinson's Disease have to keep taking more and more L-Dopa over time; it's effectiveness wears off, and it usually causes a subsequent depression in those patients.
    You might want to google a Dr. Marty Hinz who has done considerable research in this area, and in fact has created a balanced amino acid therapy protocol for treament of sleep disorders and depression.
  6. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Thank you once again everyone. Very helpful information. I will be researching everything so I can talk to my doctor when I talk to him on the 30th.

7. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

That is fascinating information! I have done alot of research about serotonin, as I have been on an SSRI for years, and never knew that about it depleting dopamine! It makes a LOT of sense, though.

So, for those on SSRIs, should we take a dopamine enhancing product? Would fish oil supplements do this?
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

zoloft has some dopamine properties even though its an ssri, i think thats what can make zoloft energising. In the past i found low doses of zoloft helpful eg 25-37.5mg, when i start to go higher then have sleep problems and feel to jittery.
  9. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Mark, thanks for the referral to Dr. Marty Hinz. I have just started to Google info on him, but did find a fascinating website. It is

Was fascinated by the fact that most neurotransmitters are made in the gut and that problems such as leaky gut can affect your neurotransmitter level. There are many, many more interesting ideas there. I highly recommend reading it. For me, it was one more step forward in understanding what is happening with my body.

10. serenityskyline

serenityskyline New Member

I first started taking 5-HTP about mid-year this year and have had great results. It had my fibromyalgia completely under control. I have tried so much other stuff with no luck, so I thought I would try something natural. I figured that God put everything on this earth that we need. It still helps now, except for when i broke my foot several months ago and was on crutches, that caused some flares of course.

I take 100 mg in the morning with breakfast and 100 mg with supper or late snack!!

Good Luck and God Bless!!