5 months without sugar and NO FLARES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hocking, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Hocking

Hocking New Member

Well, that's not entirely accurate. I have had sugar on a couple of occasions and guess what? I had flares while the sugar metabolized. I do not eat anything made with white flour, any sort of sugar (yes, honey is sugar, plain and simple), limit sugary fruits (e.g., grapes). I do not eat the new sugar-free candies, either, because the sugar alcohols react the same way (flares). What can I do to get some of you to try this? What have you got to lose??
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many of us have found that eliminating the sugary carbs has helped tremendously. Glad it has worked so well for you.

Love, Mikie
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

this works well. Altho I don't have FM, I have CF, and found originally it worked well for endometriosis (read: PAIN) symptoms.

I used to be so good for so many years, that when I got so stressed 9 years ago I just said to hell with everything -- and now look where I am.

I am slowly cutting it all down, the only way I've every been successful at doing this...

I encourage everyone to work on this, and not use artificial sweeteners either. It is amazing how things you used to like end up tasting way too sweet!

Victoria
  4. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Well, I'm certainly willing to give it a try. Thanks very much :)
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I went from May 9th til yesterday with no processed sugar to speak of....only natural sugars in fruits. Then we got a flyer in our Sunday paper and there's a bakery nearby that has CHOCOLATE BOBKA!! (sp) That's the stuff that Elaine and Jerry did an episode on tv for Seinfeld. Well, stupid me, being ever so curious, I went to the bakery yesterday and got some of that chocolate bobka. It is winderful stuff, oooooooo so rich and satisfying, but during the night the pain started creeping back into my body and this morning when I got up, I moved like an old, crippled up woman. My ankles, knees, arms, wrists all ache like crazy. They hurt so bad last night that I had a difficult time staying asleep. I'm still hobbling around today, walking stiff and taking small steps due to the incredible pain in my hip joints, but I made it to Home Depot and got the paint I needed to redo the guestroom. Now I just need to let this sugar drain out of my system and get rid of this pain. That processed sugar sure does a number on us. No more bobka, but instead, lots of apples and grapes and raspberries!

I've read that since honey is a natural, unaltered sugar, our body has no trouble in breaking it down and digesting it, so this is okay in limited amounts.

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2003]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

who said there was something special in particular about tupelo honey, that it was okay for us in small amounts. I did find a reference to it once when i googled it, but don't know that the study was ever replicated.

Krogers here used to carry it, but now of course they've dropped it and I can't find it at the health food stores. I mainly just use stevia anyway, altho honey/lemon sure works well on sore throats!

LOL, Victoria
  7. marta

marta New Member

I didn't know sugar alcohols react the same as sugar! (Now that I've just munched down an Endulge (Adkins) Caramel Nut Chew.)

I did eliminate all sugar from my diet two years ago. It was very hard but you're absolutely right; sugar does contribute greatly to arthritis and achey joints in general. I need to get back on the program.

Thanks, Hocking, for the reminder.

Marta
  8. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

This definitely WORKS. I have CFIDS and the difference is night and day.
    Everyone, ill or not, should do this!
    Mad
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I LOVED that episode of Seinfeld! After I saw it I decided I wanted a bobka. I grew up in New York (the Bronx) and we had the best bakeries! Now I live in Indianapolis and forget it! So I tried to bake one. Forget it! It came out lousy. So I've been searching for bobka ever since, but to no avail. It's a joke in my house now. Of course I shouldn't even be eating that stuff. You really made me chuckle this morning.

Annette2
  10. marta

marta New Member

Some fruits are more sweet than others. Dried fruits are the sweetest. Sugar in bananas depend on their ripeness: very ripe contain much sugar, less ripe, less sugar, etc. Fruits should be balanced with vegetables and protein. (Carrots contain a lot of sugar but we don't normally eat too many of them.)

Sugar - especially white sugar but brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses in it - has NO nutritive benefit and exascerbates joint pain as well as yeast overgrowth and plays havoc on our immune system. Sugar is not good for us, period, although we often crave it especially when our energy is especially low.

Carbs become sugar in our bodies so they should be balanced with vegetables and protein.

This is the short of it.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2003]
  11. small_town_girl

small_town_girl New Member

Pure Maple syrup is the best natural sugar and the easiest for the body to process -- if you just gotta have that sugar fix. This is recommended for diabetics.

12. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I've only been on a totally sugar free diet for 1 1/2 mos but the improvement is phenomenal. I'm on the strict diet recommended by Dr. St. Amand, which eliminates all fruits except cantalope and strawberries, which I don't care for anyway. I've slipped with the "sugar free" candies but I learned later that some of the substitutes they use are made from natural sugars, so be careful with them.

After feeling horrible for the first 2 weeks (Mikie says probably Candida die-off)I have had the longest run of fatigue relief ever. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This past week I've been forced into very tiring activity (husband had surgery, lots of driving and sitting around and now waiting on him) and I have gotten some fatigue back but not nearly what I would have had before. And I'm still not a zombie when I first get up. I never would have believed this could make such a difference.

JoAnn