5 Wks. Post Hysterectomy I don't feel like myself

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. achy

achy New Member

Hey Ya'll nice to be here for a change. I am getting stronger but it's going s l o w. I'm hoping someone will be able to relate to this and can offer support.

Since the surgery on 8/21 I haven't felt like "myself". I'm not sad per se, but I'm not happy either. I just AM. It's like I'm just sitting here wondering what to do next, with no answer.

I take effexor for depression, and I'm on low dose HRT (.05mg) since surgery. I'm wondering if it could be med related? Maybe I'm not getting enough hormones?

My FM has been manageable, no flares surprisingly!! But the exhaustion is something else. I've had CFIDS for 10 yrs, but it's never been this bad. I could sleep all day...and some days I just about do. I'm told this is normal!!!

Thanks for taking time to reply....somebody else must have dealt with this.
    Warm fuzzies

ANNXYZ New Member

Periodically the effectiveness of my antidepressant begins to fizzle, and I have to switch meds . I usually go back and forth between zoloft and prozac.

If you have been on effexor a long time, maybe a change should be considered .
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Achy,
    Sorry you are having a hard time. I think you'll be happy in the long run, though.

It took me about 2 years to feel like myself, after mine.
    Just take it easy, and don't have too high expectations of yourself. Your body needs time to even out. Just be good to yourself, and take "baby steps".
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

So sorry you are not feel like you yet. I had a really rough time after my hysterectomy because I wasn't getting enough HRT.

The first thing the idiot surgeon wanted to do was prescribe Paxil for me. Needless to say I ran in the other direction.

I had a long talk with my PA she said because of my age at the time (I was about 38) I should be on a higher dose of HRT and that did the trick for me.

You might want to discuss this with you physician.

I had a complete hysterectomy with bilateral salpingoophorectomy so I didn't have anything left--your case may be different.

It took about a 9 months of adjusting my HTR up to get it to a good level for me before I felt like me...well actually better.

I am 45 and have just now started to reduce to slowly to see how I feel.

I was on Premarin 1.25 mg 1 q.d. for years and switched this year to Estradiol 2 mg q.d. and have done very well on it.

I have cut it down to 1 mg q.d. and so far so good.

I hope you feel better soon,

Karen :)
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Hi achy,

I'm glad you are a bit better. I know the feeling you are talking about. I had a hysterectomy many years ago and I remember not feeling like myself for a long time. Just try to remember that your body will have to readjust now that it is missing organs that it has always had. And, even though HRT is helpful it is not the same as our natural hormones. Some people feel better faster than others. It took me at least 6 months before I felt like myself. I remember feeling better physically before I felt "ok". I hope that makes sense. I was so impatient back then (a lot younger) and I pushed myself so I hemorraged (sp?). The first time I went out to the supermarket I made it inside the front door and had to sit down on a big Coke display because I was too weak to take another step.

Try to be patient with yourself. Five weeks is not a lot of time for your body to readjust. If your body wants to rest, it is because that's what it needs. I didn't have FMS or CFIDS when I had my surgery. You are dealing with some extra health challenges. Try not to push yourself. You might want to talk to your doctor about your HRT dosage, but I think that most doctors like to use the minimum dosage which is probably a good idea.

Achy, I know this must be a frustrating time. A Hysterectomy may be a common procedure, but it is still major surgery. Be good to yourself.

6. mariee

mariee Member

Hi Achy,
    My surgeon told me it would take 6 months for me to feel better, and a year for full recovery. You had major surgery and your body and spirit are concentrating on physical healing. So be super good to yourself, and pamper yourself as a princess (fr. hystersister website...which has a ton of info on recovery...just click "post-op")
    I, too, felt "blah" after surgery...the anticipation and worry of surgery was gone, my initial recovery was over and I was limited on activities....soooo...
    I took up crocheting after ..never had done that...it was easy on my body, but gave me something to learn. And I started doing sudoku puzzles. It gave me a temporary lift.
    Maybe an easy on the body hobby would help.
    Can't help w. HRT as I don't take anything. You should also mention it to your doc....
    Take care.
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Achy:

I have been told that it does take 6 months to a year to recover. So be good to yourself.

I am contemplating having a total hysterectomy. Not sure which way to go...as I have read about so many bad experiences with either choice. I have pre-cancerous cells in my endometrium, and have been having problems for about 7 years now (since my daughter was born). Doc gave me 2 choices: 1) total abdominal hysterectomy (including lymph nodes) or 2) take medicine and have a biopsy every 3 months. I was in shock (still am) and not sure which way to go. I have other issues, like RA and some adrenal problems as well as liver disease, atrial fibrillation, etc. Do not want to through my body into worse situation.

Hope that you and your body can return to your former self, and soon. Good luck.

8. achy

achy New Member

I knew somebody would understand!! I knew I'd be in for a long recovery especially with FM & CFIDS, but I was not prepared for this odd not myself feeling.

It helps to know somebody understands.
  9. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I had a partial hysterectomy (left the ovaries) in 2002 and I had fibro then. Wow was I shocked at how awful I did! I felt like a mack truck had flattened me. Totally unprepared for the pysichal wreckage and pain and fatigue. I guess your uterus is really attached to alot of stuff in there cause the 6 week recovery was a joke! I could barely walk for weeks...it took forever and ever. Put me in a major setback as far as fibro...and I cried alot because of the helpless feeling. Just give it time, there is no choice. Find a quiet hobby or read, or organize pictures or recipes...I tried to do too much too soon it is a drag just do things in bits and pieces if you must.....was yours a full one? I am trying to learn quilting, I have cut up a bunch of old recieving blankets into squares, not need to start the sewing. I am typical in starting and and not finishing....I really want to try this seems to be no time, now see, you could try that, even with old clothes and dresses....there is alot of info online, i have no clue on how to do it just learning...you could make a hysterectomy quilt!
  10. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I had a totally hyst. back in 2002 due to edmetrosis(sp). never have really felt right again, but your homones play a big part in how good your do feel. And whatever you do Don't over do it, thinking you are all better, because youare not. t takes a Long time for all the sutures to heal. There is a geat website for women oing through hysterectomies. It's called: wwww.hystersisters.com. they are great for providing support!

Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better soon. Just do not rush it!

11. cristylee

cristylee New Member

I have also went through some of the same feelings. I had a partial hyst in may due to endometrial cancer had to have a full hyst in June. I also was not my self my husband even said him and his family wanted the real me back! Yeah well so did I !! I think the more I healed I was getting a little better my doc put me on cymbalta whitch seems to have helped a little but I have Lupus & Rhumatoid Arthritis and my RA has been so bad for about a month now and I'm so fatigued I also could sleep 24/7 except I wake up from the pain of hurting from the RA and have to get up and move around. The dr put me on cymbalta may have helped a little with feeling so blah he also started me on testosterone I'm hopeing will help with the fatigue. But my RA & Fatigue is way over the top. It's all I can do to rest as much as possable so I can make it to my job. In which I barely have any sick time left. I'm not as down now as I was after the last surgery I think loosing our hormones and the trama of major surgery and we are different afterwards menopause has been harder then I ever thought, I was very very nieve. I hope your feeling better. Be sure to tell you dr to make sure more might be able to be done.
  12. munch1958

munch1958 Member

That for me seems to be the hormone of "well being". Women make it in small amounts and when the ovaries are removed we lose most of our source. Testosterone is also used by many female OB/GYNs for themselves yet they don't RX it for patients because the FDA has not approved it for this use. Lots of meds are used "off label". <BR>
    I like Suzanne Somers books on B-HRT. They are very informative. I'm not crazy about the Wiley Protocol but other than that she explains things very well. <BR>
    I love animals and what they do to horses to collect pregnant mare urine (Premarin) is criminal. Just Google it if you want to know. So bio-identical hormones are what I feel most comfortable with. Everyone is different!