50 SIGNS OF FIBROMYALGIA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by COOKIEMONSTER, Jun 5, 2003.

1. COOKIEMONSTER

COOKIEMONSTER New Member

50 Signs of Fibromyalgia:

1. pain
    2. fatigue
    3. sleep disorder
    4. morning stiffness
    5. cognitive or memory impairment
    6. irritable bowel
    7. chronic headaches
    8. TMJ syndrome
    9. numbness and tingling sensation
    l0. muscle twitching
    11. skin sensitivities
    12. dry eyes and mouth
    13. dizziness
    14. allergic symptoms
    15. mitral valve prolapse
    16. heel or arch pain
    17. brain fatigue
    18. painful periods
    19. chest pains, noncardiac
    20. depression
    21. panic attacks
    22. irritable bladder
    23. multiple chemical sensitivities
    24. joint hypermobility
    25. suicidal
    26. personality changes
    27. lightheadedness
    28. disequilibrium
    29. severe muscle weakness
    30. intolerance of bright lights
    31. alteration of taste, smell, hearing
    32. low frequency, sensorineural hearing loss
    33. decreased painful sound threshold
    34. ringing in the ears
    35. exaggerated involuntary rapid eye movement
    36. changes in visual acuity
    37. intolerance of alcohol
    38. enhancement of medication side effects
    39. intolerance of previously tolerated medications
    40. severe nasal and other allergies possible sinus infections
    41. weight change (gain)
    42. muscle and joint aches
    43. night sweats
    44. heart palpitations
    45. muscle spasms
    46. Raynaud's-like symptoms
    47. carpal tunnel syndrome
    48. heartburn
    49. difficulty swallowing
    50. interstitial cystitis
    =========================

AGGRAVATING FACTORS:

overexertion
    stress
    hormonal changes
    premenstrual
    anxiety
    changes in weather
    cold or drafty environment
    anger
    depression
    alcohol
    =========================

POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR FMS:

genetic
    neurochemical dysfunction
    hormonal imbalance
    virus
    infection
    accident or trauma
    nutritional deficiency

2. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

I would say these apply to just about all on this board - "50 signs of Chronic Illness".

#30. I would add noise to that

and somewhere on the list I would add "Spacial disorientation"

Causes: I would add Autoimmune dysfunction

We should keep this bumped up for all the Newbies.

Lane
  3. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Gee, I think I have 48 out of the 50! Plus there are more if you have coexisting CFS, CMP or other diseases. One I had not heard before is hearing loss - I always thought my loss was from a mastoid infection I had as a kid, which actually could have started the FM but it didn't get out of control until I was 51.

thanks for the info
    AS
  4. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I don't think I've ever seen a more concise description of it before. Where did you find it?
  5. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I have almost every symptom listed, however I don't seem to suffer the pain as most on this board. Does this mean I do not have fm, but something else? I'm confused, and need opinions. I have so many signs, except excruciating pain.
    Thank you for your opinions.
  6. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

I too do not suffer from the pain as much as others on this board, but, do have my days. I more inclined to say that I have CFS (bedrest 16 - 18 hours a day) with a secondary diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Great job by the way, cookiemonster. Another aggravating factor for me is diet,,,especially sweets. Tulip
  7. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Awesome sum-up. Thanks.
  8. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Cookiemonster, You hit the nail right on the head!!! You explained this DD better than any doctor I have EVER seen. I also agree with memorylane, I feel this condition is immune and nervous system related. Just goes to show how educated the people on this board really are. HUGS, Chelz.
  9. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Good job Cookie! I had a couple others to add. Strangly enough, I was just making a list for myself when I came across your post!! I am bringing this into my disbelieving doctor tommorrow.

1. Loss of interest in life/ everyday activities
    2. Pain when in any position for too long
    3. Loss of sex drive

Hope that helps!! Thanks for the time you put into this!!

Kathryn
  10. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I think we should add:

uninformed Doctors
    People who don't believe us
  11. mrskbarnett

mrskbarnett New Member

I just had a hysterectomy back in August and I attributed the night sweats to that. There are mornings or even in the middle of the night that I wake up soaked. This is part of this wonderful syndrome that we have.
    Kim
  12. mrskbarnett

mrskbarnett New Member

I think it means that you just don't have the pain assosiated with fibro and you should consider yourself so very lucky.
    Kim
  13. tadpoles

tadpoles New Member

Sure am glad to find this site, I thought I was absolutely losing my mind. I have Just about all these symptoms and the ones suggested to add also. I live in Alabama and got Shingles of the Face March 2002, that took me straight into Fibromyalgia, and all it's effects, includinng daily migranes, I fought it but simply couldn't work any longer,(I'm a Letter Carrier). I finally had to file for disability this March, and we will be putting our home up for sale this month,(can't keep it up or $$). So as long as I have to move, can anyone tell me, does drier climate help? I was thinking Valleys of Idaho or maybe Arizona, these storms here every other day are killing me.

Thanks,
    Tadpoles

p.s. oh yeah, the time, new
    pain med, helps pain, wish
    I could sleep. huh! lol!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2003]
  14. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I don't have the severity or frequence of pain a lot of you experience but I certainly have an alarming amount of the other symptoms also. I count myself very fortunate that the pain I experience (apart from my back which is partly very long term and partly from an old fracture but maybe from fms too?) is comparatively mild and doesn't so far affect me when sleeping. (sleeping ha ha I wish!)
    Pam
  15. MUSM

MUSM New Member

This list is AWESOME! I am printing it for my family! It might be the most precise list I have seen in my 5 years with FMS. Thanks for posting it, it was great to see it all listed...half the time I can't think of them all at once! (ha)

Take care!

MUSM
  16. momoffour

momoffour New Member

Thanks so much for this. I have been approved for Disability and I cannot even stand bright lights in my house. So with that said, you never know what all is affected from this thing we call FMS.
    Thanks again,
    Cynthia momoffour
  17. NutsInAlabama

NutsInAlabama New Member

Oh My
    I just found out last week and yes, I am new here as well.

I did not realize how all encompassing FM and CFS has been in my life until I read the list. I am shocked that it took 10 yrs to get to a diagnosis.
    Thank you so much, I am not NUTS!!!

NutsInAlabama
    Deb to those who care :)
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is a very good and concise article on FMS.

To all y'all who are new here, welcome to our board.

Love, Mikie
  19. DrP

DrP New Member

Cookie
    What a comprehensive symptom list! Thanks so much. I am going to copy it and distribute it to a few people that would benefit from a better understanding of what FM is like.

How about adding

Possible painful intercourse.
    Inability to sit for prolonged periods.
    Tendonitist
    Restless legs (not always confined to legs only)
    Burning sensation in muscles
    Inability to move muscles when attempting inclines (contracted from spasms ie like being unable to walk up a flight of stairs or hills)

I am sure we have more......... but you provided a great articulation.
  20. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I lived in Phoenix, AZ up until a year ago. I now live in MI. I gave felt better in MI than I ever did in AZ. My husband and I have talked about moving to Boise, Idaho. From all the research we have done I think Boise is a perfect median between AZ and MI. Not too hot, not too cold, not too dry, not too moist. INMHO I would go with Idaho over AZ. Not too mention the economy in Idaho is much better than in AZ.

Abi