5HTP Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Apr 7, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Has anyone felt better using 5HTP, particularily for sleep, anxiety. What is the best dosage and time to take it.

I understand it naturally helps with the seratonin levels.
    So any success stories?

Thanks,
    Sue in Ontario
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I started taking 5-htp about 2-1/2 years ago and it did help with sleep. The best time for me to take it is in the morning - I take 50 mg. first thing when I get up on an empty stomach, and 50 mg. late morning on an empty stomach.

It gave me a mild headache for the first week I took it, but it was helping with sleep so much, I stuck it out and the headache stopped.

I have a friend who was on Lexapro for several years and was having some bad side effects from it. I told her about 5-htp and she got weaned off the Lexapro, and started taking 5-htp instead and loves it. She told another friend who was very depressed about 5-htp, but this friend started taking tryptophan instead, which is related to 5-htp, and said she feels much better than before.

5-htp helps raise serotonin levels, but you shouldn't take it if you are already taking an SSRI because your levels can go too high.

You'll probably have to experiment to get the right dose. Many people take more than I do, but what I take is fine for me. There's lots of info on the web about, do some research. I did find that when I took it at night, it kept me awake, but taking it in the morning is great.

Good luck --

Mary
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I ma looking forward to trying it. I don't take SSRI at the moment, though I have prescriptions, I have been reluctant.

Also, thanks for the post on the coconut oil. I have found a Canadian mail order that is reasonably priced. I'm going to try that as well.

Thanks again.

Sue in Ontario
  4. janana

janana New Member

I started it a month ago at 25 mg now up to 100 aday. The recommended dosage for fibro is 100 3x a day. Seems like a lot. Calling my doc on monday. I want to wean off the Klonopin Ive been using for sleep for 3 yrs. Hoping this will help. Also since it raises serotonin levels, will raise your energy and general well being. Also helps reduce pain. I have noticed an improvement in my mood. Good Luck! J.
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

that is good to know. I haven't received them yet, I am looking forward to it.

I took out a book from the library about it, and there was a whole chapter on Fibro. I thought the 300 mg was quite high as well.

I'm going to start on 50.

Sue in Ontario
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Susan:

I was on 5HTP before I was on Lexapro. Between the two I would take the 5HTP over it and may just do it. I am giving the Lexapro (very low dose) a chance first. At least there is an alternative.

nyrofan
  7. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Hi Sue!

I've been taking 5-HTP for about 3 years or so, along with St. Johns Wort, and it does work for me. If I can remember correctly, it took me a couple weeks or so before I really felt it working. I'm currently on 100mg 2x per day - morning & night. Some time ago I had weaned myself down to 50mg 1x per night then off of it for a while, but restarted it again.

Good luck!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki