5HTP dosage? From Dr. Murphree

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Mar 22, 2007.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I was looking over some of the protocals that Dr. Murphree advertises, and one of the things he said was that he recommends his patients to take 300MG of 5HTP. I was slightly confused by that, because the 5HTP that I have is 50mg per capsule, and the bottle says take one. So.. does anyone have any input on how they take 5HTP? And is it helpful to you?

Also, my bottle says not to take it within 2 hours of taking medications, because it can change their effects. This would be difficult to do at night (when I think its supposed to be taken) since I take meds for sleep.
  2. roge

roge Member

as seems many of us here are sensitive to meds and supplements so would start with 50mg and assess and work your way up gradually.

I have read 50mg of 5htp is equivalent to approx 500mg of Tryptophan and suggested dose for Tryp is 500mg /50 pounds of body weight , so that would be 50mg of 5htp/50 pounds of body weight as a general rule of thumb.

By the way L-Tryptophan metabolizes into 5htp. If the 5htp doesnt work for you, you might try Tryptophan. Everyone is different, but for some stomach problems are a side effect of 5htp that isnt so much a problem with Tryptophan. As well I have read Tryptophan has muscle relaxant properties that 5htp doesnt.

Peace
  3. roge

roge Member

further, make sure you don't take 5htp or any other seretonin boosting supplement if one of your sleep meds already boosts or increases the re-uptake of seretonin as it could possibly lead to seretonin syndrome. You likely know this as there was just a post about this but just in case I thought I would mention it.

peace