5HTP question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JackieJMO, Sep 9, 2002.

1. JackieJMO

JackieJMO New Member

Does anyone out there know how many mgs of 5HTP it takes to equal 20mg of Prozac?

I have been taking 2 FM Relief capsules 3 times a day, which is 600mgs of 5HTP, for some time now, and I'm still not getting the same feeling I do on just 20mg of Prozac.

I miss my FM Relief because of its other benefits, but so far this 5HTP isn't cutting it, compared to the Prozac, and I am on a really low dose!

Any Comments?
    Thanks,
    JackieJMO

2. JackieJMO

JackieJMO New Member

Does anyone out there know how many mgs of 5HTP it takes to equal 20mg of Prozac?

I have been taking 2 FM Relief capsules 3 times a day, which is 600mgs of 5HTP, for some time now, and I'm still not getting the same feeling I do on just 20mg of Prozac.

I miss my FM Relief because of its other benefits, but so far this 5HTP isn't cutting it, compared to the Prozac, and I am on a really low dose!

Any Comments?
    Thanks,
    JackieJMO

3. herblady

herblady New Member

i don't know how much of it equals prozac, but you are getting a lot. my supplement only has 50 mg per capsule. and it sure has helped me sleep. maybe it is not going to work for you. another mood lifter and joint pain reliever is sam e. you might try that. as long as you aren't bipolar. it will make bipolars manic. cindi
  4. majic

majic New Member

i had the same problem with 5 htp. i thought i had taken a hit of speed. i tried it with no meds and just on its own and this seem to make me more hyper. so are you saying that 5 htp is in prozac? i increased and decreased the 5 htp and just come to the conclusion that it is not for me. majic
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Jackie, welcome to the board. I am afraid I can't help with you question, but just wanted to welcome you.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. JackieJMO

JackieJMO New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm a bipolar so I guess Sam-e isn't for me. Though I can honestly say, I can't remember the last time I had a manic episode. Geez, I miss those...at least I got a lot accomplished! <LOL>
    JackieJMO :-D
  7. JackieJMO

JackieJMO New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I'm still getting use to this message board. I hope I am doing this right. Is it suppose to look like you are replying to yourself, when you are replying to a reply under your original post??
    Thanks JackieJMO:)
  8. JackieJMO

JackieJMO New Member

No there is no Prozac in 5 HTP but there is a very explicit warning saying NOT to take it WITH Prozac, Zoloft, etc, because of the possibility of Serotonin Syndrome. Basically giving yourself an overdose of serotonin. I was just wondering if that warning only applied to those people taking already very HIGH doses of Prozac?

The 5HTP didn't make me hyper at all, at least not that I noticed. The Prozac however does tend to make me tired, and groggy...a sideeffect that I hate.
    JackieJMO:)