6 year old with FM???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pumasees, Feb 15, 2003.

1. pumasees

pumasees New Member

I have a six year old daughter who is displayiing symptoms of Fibro Mylgia. Other that almost constantly being in pain ; head aches, stomach aches, arms, legs, back and neck hurting; she has lost half her volume of hair in the last 6 months. The hair loss finally seems to have stopped, but I see no new growth. She also lost 7 pounds in a month and went from 33 down to 26. We have her back up 32 pounds but it is a struggle every day. She also gets the really dark circles under her eyes on a regular basis and flings her self around in her sleep.
    Her father and I, as well as both her grandmothers have FM. The doctor has done multiple tests with no results explaining her ailment. I have suggested she has FM. The doctor says choldren her age do not get it. I would like to know if anyone knows of a child her age with FM or where I might find info on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Debra
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

im so sorry,my symtoms also started around then realy bad i wasnt dx untill i was 29,do a seach for the pediatricnetwork
    they have info on fm in children,also a seach for harriet lane links we can post exact urls so a seach should help you find these sights,i say a prayer for you and your sweet daughter
    hugs
    kara
    ps if you cant find them, my emails on my profile just email me
  3. phenom

phenom New Member

when i started displaying the first symptoms, mainly ankle pain, then shin and calf muscles, then knees. so it is possible. all symptoms showed up by the time i was 19. i'm now 21.

phenom
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

More and more children are being diagnosed with CFS/FMS. I, and many of us, can trace symptoms way back to childhood. See if you can find a doc who treats pediatric immune disorders. I am so sorry that this sweet child is having to suffer like this. You are in my prayers.

BTW, my Mother had FMS, I have CFS/FMS and both my daughters have FMS. My grandmother displayed some suspicious behavior but died so young of a heart attack that we don't know that much about her. I believe in genetic predisposition. I also believe that the increased stresses in our lives today are triggering our illnesses in younger and younger children.

Love, Mikie
  5. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

After doing years of research, I can DEFINATELY see signs/symptoms in MY early childhood. As young as your darling daughter and younger. I think you are born with it (predisposing factors). Mine seem to have come and gone during the first 24 years of my life. I can remember being very listless as a child and not wanting to do anything. And I always wanted to lie down when watching T.V. Of course I knew no different! I had psorosis breakouts on my back (childhood) then on my head under my hair in high school up until the present. This is auto-immune. I had SEVERE tension headaches starting in 4th grade. Mom's response: "you're to young to ever know what a headache is!"(i had a traumatic childhood, which didn't help the stress level). I can remember not wanting to eat because of the painful intestinal cramping after dinner. Mom's response to the family "she's just trying to get out of doing the dishes by going to the bathroom right after we eat" I was diagnosed with CFS and then 4 years later Crohn's disease mid-twenties - early 30's. Was doing fine..working, then rear-ended 2/28/00. Been very ill ever since.
    Debra ~ whatever you do...listen to your daughter. Children do not make these things up! Most are happy and want to be happy by nature! Sounds like your on the right track - Wish I would have had parents who validated me! It was always "you're always complaing. Stop complaining, etc.." Good luck to you and your family. I hope you can find something to ease her pain!:)
    Love, Blondieangel
  6. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Last night on the early edition of the news there was a segment on children with Fibro. It was quite interesting. Our local NBC affiliate (WISTV) ran it. They have the information they aired on their website if anyone is interested
  7. Msagn

Msagn New Member

So sorry to here of your childs distress with this horrible disease. I didn't have symptome till I was in my late 60's, I can't imagine what it would be like to go through as a child. I have found help in a thearpy you will have to look it up on your own. I had tried everything for over 4 years. Other than arthritis pain in my knees that they said may never go away, I would have to call myself 98% pain free. I am now 74.
    Search on Microdose. or Microdose 2000
    The rest would be up to you to read...read...read and then decide if it would be something to check out further.
    My best to your daughter.
    msagn
  8. pearls

pearls New Member

I have read in one of Dr. Devin Starlanyl's books that children do, indeed, suffer from fibromyalgia. She has the disease herself, and specializes in research and treatment of fibromyalgia and related conditions. She has a website with a lot of information, there. I don't know if she discusses FMS and children on the website, though.

-Pearl
  9. pumasees

pumasees New Member

First of all I want to thank you all for your advice, help and kind words. It means a great deal to me that so many people who don't personally know us are so willing to help and are so loving. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Poodlemum - The first thing I had our doctor check was her thyroid because I have had problems with mine since i was 13. The blood work was perfectly normal. I will ask her about doing an untrasound also when we see her next week. They are also checking her for lead poisioning. I would prefer it to be FM to the lead if it has to be something. Bless you all - Debra
  10. Beth37

Beth37 New Member

Hi,Debra,I agree with the others.I believwe all had fibro before we even realized it.I only had real severe symtoms abiout 5 yrs. ago or so but believe I had it alot longer.I have read too where children do get or have FMS or CFS.It's scary to say but I guess all you can do is read,read,do your own research.Wish you luck in finding her some relief.Take Care! ((((HUGS))))Beth