60 Minutes--I missed it-what did they say

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gabdeb, Jan 29, 2006.

1. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

I was planning all day to watch it and went to turn on tv at6:55. It was over at 7. Didnt think about when someone said it was on at 7 it would be 6 my time!! duh... Will it show again? Anything interesting?
    deb
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The man had been sentenced to 25 years in jail for forging scrips (he denied this) for pain meds. His DR in NJ had been mailing him undated scrips so he could get his meds in Florida who are iffy about prescribing so many. At first the NJ Dr agreed he had sent the scrips then later retracted that he sent so many. It did kind of appear the man may have forged a few. However, he was a pereson in dreadful pain, and not really doing anything to cause the taxpayers footing the bill for 25 year sentence when murderers get 7. Anyway, they had this expert doctor on, Dr Portnoy, who said that people develop tolerance to meds and need more of them for pain, and he even hand grandma's taking enough morphine to kill a person and it did not affect them due to build up of tolerance. To end, the man in jail(a young lawyer with three kids and nice wife seemed a pleasant man) is now getting a morphine pump in jail that helps his pain. Oh, the DA had said that he thought the man could be selling the pills as he got so many(but they watched him (imagine cost!) for three months and saw no evidence. Their logic was that no one could take 25 pills a day!!!! Go figure. Because he was found guilty by a jury of forging the scrips that in Florida is still "trafficking" even though he wasn't doing that, he got this sentence. Can you believe that. It was quite well done. I hope he wins his appeal and gets out as being in jail is ludicrous.
    Anne
  3. Inishfree

Inishfree New Member

Go to the cbsnews.com website. clinck on 60 minutes and your can see part of the interview with the man in jail and Morley Saffer.

4. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

That is just unreal and so sad. And he is still in jail?! im going to the site to read about it. thank you
    deb
  5. kbak

kbak Member

They gave this poor guy 25 yrs. in prison for trying to control his pain, because in this country, docs are not allowed to really help control peoples terrible pain. You can sell meth, and not spend 25 yrs. in prison.
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

The good thing I thought was it talked about how doctors fear giving pain killers to those that really need them as they are afraid of being "watched". It also talked about the fear that people in chronic pain have of running out of pain killers and that it is a normal reaction to try and hord them as they know what will happen if they run out..
    interesting story..
  7. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Doctors really do have reason to be concerned. And I am not saying this in defense of doctors, because many could do so much more and be just fine. But the DEA, oh my, what they have done to chronic pain sufferers really should be illegal.

I was totally gobsmacked when I worked as a pharmacy tech and was told to do a computer printout of every single RX that my own GP had written for that year. I laughed, and I mean laughed hard, and said "you have got to be kidding me!" My boss glared at me and asked why I responded as such. That doctor never prescribed more then ten pills for pain at a time, under any circumstance.

But pharmacies, by law, are required to do random checks on doctors and the RX's they prescribe and then report this to the DEA. The DEA takes it from there. Sad, worse than sad...isn't it?
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

It was upsetting to me that a "Pain Pump" was not given to this man who was in extremely horrific pain in the first place. It had to take a Prison sentence to get this???
    GRRRRRR...
  9. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Yep...The real kicker of all this was that Richard Paey now has a morphine pump - which he couldn't get before he was convicted. His situation would be ironic if it wasn't so tragic and horribly frustrating.

Unfortunately, I think Paey's sentencing also represents the way the DEA (and our other government agencies) is terribly micro-managing some things (doctor's prescriptions) and ignoring other things which are vital to our well-being.

Did any of you see the segment about the radiation-sickness drug which aired a bit earlier (on the same 60 Minutes show)? Yikes!

Be well,

Janice
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

medication that way than he was from pill form. AND he got more prison time (25 years!) than a person picked up for cocaine! I don't know if he made up some fake scripts or not, but I do know the doctor folded like an acordian when he found out it was illegal to mail undated scripts out. He HAD to know that! And to first admit he approved the scripts to the pharmacies when they phoned him and....

THEN turning around and saying he didn't! He obviously was just getting himself off the hook and he probably DID write every single script and there really wasn't anything wrong in his prescibing practice, it just didn't fit the old wive's ideas about how much is too much. There IS no usnafe upper amount if it's eased in to and that's been proven.

As it has been and still is, it will take some of these so so against pain medication people to GET the SEVERE pain to change their opinions and minds. The way pain diseases are growing to epidemic proportions it WILL come to pass in him or his family (he being the naysayers). But it will take time for them to have enough of them watching their loved ones in agony to straighten out their heads.

It's just a shame that in a time when there is so much "compassion" and "LUV" being spouted by so many "good" people, there is in reality so little of it going around! In fact I don't think I've ever seen such meanness and hate going around in what claim to be "loving and Christ like" people in my lifetime.
  11. Remnant

Remnant New Member

Archaic laws, Ignorant Authorities.

When is something going to happen? It's the freakin Salem Witch Trials for Gods sake!!
  12. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

bumping for more opinions
  13. kjfms

kjfms Member

The police found blank prescriptions, copy machine, a doctor's stamp and Dr. Nurkiewicz's DEA number.

Why did he have the physician's DEA number? If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.........

I am sorry that he is in so much pain, but forging prescriptions is a crime.

I just do not think being in pain is reason to break the law. I am not saying whether or not the sentencing was right or wrong and I am not going to compare forging prescriptions to other crimes.

I know I am probably going to take a lot of hit for this but it is my opinion.

Thanks,

Karen
  14. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Regarding the last post, I don't know why you need to worry about taking heat. Being in posession of the doctor's RX pad, a copy machine and the doctor's DEA number would probably be all any jury needed to convict. It really does look as if the duck got caught out of water.
  15. kjfms

kjfms Member

...Thank you,

Karen