60s is the new whatever...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I cant recall which dimwit a few days ago on TV mentioned that age 60 is the new 40 and we should up the retirement age...oh yeah this was on CNBC and the discussion was about entitlement programs and whether means testing should be in place to see who really does need social security, medicare benefits etc. because many people collect, just because they reach retirement age when the benefits may be accessed and its like pocket change for them.

i'm writing this because of something else on another board here i read earlier today about aarp and folks sending back their membership cards. i didnt send my card back, but i;m wondering if anyone here found membership as useless as I did?

my experience in NY has been that aarp 'discounts' are offered by merchants in a way that high priced merchandise receives a percentage off (the aarp percentage) but often even with that discount the stuff is still more expensive than 'Sale' items. I do not need AAA, hotel discounts.

I've gave up on aarp at least 7 yrs ago, maybe time for a fresh look. Does anyone have membership they find useful?

2. luckyman

luckyman New Member

But where does that put me? I'm 56 so I'd guess that would put me at about...76! Naw, I know too many people that age that could run circles around me.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

well, at 38 I feel and function FAR worse than people MUCH older than me - actually at this point, I would be ecstatic to function as well as a normal 60 yr old
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

isn't worth much these days, it used to. But is has changed overall from what it was. Its founder would be aghast.

It always makes me angry when I hear pundiots on TV saying SS is an entitlement program, it is not, and imho neither is Medicare. If the funds had been managed properly and not bankrupted by the gov't., there would be plenty of money after compounded interest year after year.....
  5. springwater

springwater Active Member

comforting to know Im not the only one who feels decades older than i actually am. Lol!

God Bless
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

right. It's not that the social security program was flawed. It's that the politicians
    took the money outta the fund and used it for other purposes.

I read Lyndon Johnson started the whole thing to pay for the Vietnam War.
    Then I read it was going on even before that.

As far as age goes, my CFS started in my late 30s. I will be 70 in a few months. If
    these DD keeps on much longer, I am going to get a bit peevish.

Rock
  7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

well i am sorry, and most of those posting here got to the point i didnt make-i dont care about aarp actually, its just money making for some folks not really worth much for who its directed at, but my question was going to be with all the talk about 60 being the new 40 and the ads for aarp and other 'senior' style things (Polident? dating sites?!, calcium supplements) they show white hair folks with slender muscle toned bodies doing athletic things...but they're shown as representative of 'retirees' AND THIS IS WHAT CONCERNS ME Y'ALL

there are millions of us permanently parked in the No-Old Zone -pre maturely aging from auto-immune disorders (dammit, diseases!!)
    so wen i hear sugestions that we once again UP the retirement age to 70 will simultanelously reading that autoimmune diseases rates are thru the roof, not to mention the next generation and its autism concerns-what is going on?

(last month someone suggested lowering retirement in the US to 55 so that we push out the current oldere workers to create jobs for young unemployed college grads).

aarp...ha! they should be asking these questions
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

if AARP were run by its original organizer, they -she - would be asking these questions. Someone needs to start a new org?

LOL it's my belief many of those models are people who just got silver/white hair prematurely (I had an uncle who went from black to pure white hair by age 30!)... the 'real people' I meet who are older and have lots of energy don't look like them.

Actually all the points brought up in this thread were good ones, all the way around. I doubt they'll ever force disability, SS couldn't afford it for the reason above. They can barely afford it now. I'm in the 5th year of the baby-boom and my retirement age has been raised, happened a few years ago before this recent economic crash. I'm expecting it to be raised again before I ever get there.

I actually have seen articles about the growing numbers of people disabled by 'autoimmune' conditions. But it's not talked about much.

[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2010]