#66 for the Holiday Loungers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Dec 16, 2010.

1. spacee

spacee Member

We finally heard why we are having a cold winter down here. The oak
    trees dropped a million acorns each....really. That means the squirrels
    need to store a bundle to get through the cold. The farmers around
    here watch the oak trees.

My DS in the NL got this as a present at work: muffin pan, muffin mix, 4
    plastic cups, golden raisens (from California), chutes and ladder game and some chocolate.

They would have had me at chocolate :)

The "Mystery Room Place" turned out to be the 2nd of such a Gathering Place, first one started in Vero Beach. The man is an artist who sells his art
    at small art shows. Guess he did the LW's Art Show and liked it here.
    There is a lot of Dali prints in the main room. Looks like a small art gallerie,
    then there is some of his work/jewelry for sell in other rooms. There is a small
    theater room, coffee room, Wiifi room. All food is brought in from restaurants.
    Guess it would work for wedding parties and other special occasions. Hope it works out for them. I have heard of another place like this has opened here and it has a Barn motif. That is more LW's since there is a lot of agriculture here.

On that happy note...I will go eat lunch!

Linda

Edited at 10:10pm

[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2010]
  2. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Felt like the right title.
    So blame it on the Oaks then huh?I just want my honey Bell oranges come Feb.

No cooking tonight it's Fri.I was tempted to use my chip yesterday because I just felt drained and didn't feel up to anything but I'm glad I don't today.Huz will be on vacation after today until after Jan.

He wore a red vest to work this morning for a holiday lunch at work.I thought it was Santa kissing me good-bye.Red is not his color.

Everyone have a nice weekend.
    Pam
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I have learned something today. It is what I am going to say when someone asks me
    why I can't do something. And I reply that I have _____ physical problem. The they
    reply 'I'm sure other ppl have it worse than you.".

What? I am only telling them (this was the yoga teacher) on why I couldn't do something.
    She asked me the question! And wanted an answer.

So this is it.

"I am well aware that I do not have it nearly as bad as most ppl in the world".

I am only sorry that it took me this long to think of that.

And I feel much better now. Thanks for 'listening' , my friends.

Linda
  4. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I'ld a punched er!

Pam
  5. jole

jole Member

Then tell her you'd certainly trade places with her and she could explain to you just how that comment feels! Or ditto Pam.......

Guys, remember me saying how happy I was to get some deep cleaning (kitchen cabinets) done? I was totally blown away 'cause I felt partly human for a total of 8 days! Thought I was cured!!! (You know how that goes). In 9 years that's the longest "remission" I've ever had.

Then this week has been a slap in the face, barely able to get out of bed, no energy whatsoever, yet totally unable to sleep. Why does it always seem so much worse after a few 'better' days? Sure was nice to remember a little of what life could be like though.......Jole

Lol...skipped three words and had to add them so this would make a bit of sense.[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2010]
  6. bct

bct Active Member

I am waiting desperately for the 21st-22nd, when I know each following day will be a bit longer. Right now I am getting so little sun, even when it is shining, because of tall trees and ridges. I feel hemmed in by trees this time of year! Needless to say there is no Christmas tree in the house. My only decorations are a branch with 3 red tomatoes still clinging to it, left over from the green ones that were harvested before our only frost about 5 weeks ago. They are very striking, dangling over the sink, along with some bay branches.

I do most of my bird-watching from indoors right now; not much around except the regulars at the bird feeding areas. Flock of about 20 quail has been hanging around for days now; they sure like the seed. The chipmunks pop out to visit on warmer days.

The "Lost Coast" where I am is very grey today, and 5 days of rain are forecast. We hardly ever get snow here.

The persimmons have all been eaten -- very good! Now I am eating a lot of Satsuma mandarins, which I guess is my favorite citrus.

O.K., just fried up a bunch of crimini mushrooms for the pizza topping tonight. I love mushrooms, dont't y'all? We had some good chantrelles from the store last week, gathered locally. I saw a few in our woods but they were past it. I am sad that I can't go 'shroom hunting like I used to........

Time for lunch. We're having menudos (I can hear most of you going "argh") for lunch. I just love the stuff. This is canned, but I do make it from time to time. Needless to say, mine is MUCH better, haha.

So now to eat,
    Ciao (pronounced "chow") for now,
    Barry
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have no good news to report. Just plodding along. My Alzheimer's
    is getting worse. I should get a T shirt that says: Just because I do
    stupid things all day long, doesn't mean I'm stupid.

I watered Gordon's orchids. Left the hose on. It ran for about 24 hours.
    What will that cost? A hundred bucks? A thousand bucks? As Homer
    Simpson says, "Doh!"

I remember chutes and ladders, Spacee. Played it as a child. 30 years later
    I played it with my son. We also played Chinese checkers. Hadn't thought
    of that for years.

Never heard of honey bell oranges, Pam, but I tried a honey crisp apple a
    couple weeks ago. They are crisp, but not really sweet. I like apples
    that are tart and crisp. Also like my bacon "crips" as my mother used to say.

Turns out the honey crisp is also from Minnesota. Developed by the U of M.

Jole, I'm glad you had 8 good days. Shame they didn't last. Can't really remember
    a good day myself. Life hasn't been any fun for decades. I was feeling sorry
    for myself the other day.

I told Gordon I just see increasing disability and eventully full-blown
    dementia. He said, "Well, if you really get bad and put on one of my
    mother's old dresses and wonder around the back yard, I'll be here for
    you. I'll make sure you shave your legs first."

Who wouldn't be cheered up by that?

I never heard of a satsuma orange either, Barry. I looked up Satsuma. Can be
    a fruit or a restaurant or a city or a skin lotion or Japanese pottery...Before you take an
    enthusiastic bite, make sure it's the fruit and not the ceramic.

Never did see a quail in the wild. I think I saw a chipmunk in Yosemite. I
    remember a coyote. It was much bigger than the ones I've seen around LA.
    Anyway it had a bad leg. It sat by the edge of the road, and waited for
    kind people to toss it food. I gave it a chicken leg.

Hugs to all

Rock
  8. spacee

spacee Member

Rock, can we have a pic of you in the dress. I have a blonde wig I can send you to complete
    your outfit.

You all have written and cheered me up, in your own individual ways. You all mean so much.

So I will dump more depressing news on you:

XMRV positive came today. I feel like Rock, sliding down the slippery slope. Can't do
    near as much as two years ago. Oh heck, as last year! I didn't think I would feel this
    sad but it is what it is.

Ok, I will just set myself to be happy in the house and that will be the way it is. I have
    a checkers game I really like. That's one thing. And I might start keeping my computer
    desk straight. That's a goal. Join Rock in one of my costumes out in the yard and report
    back....ok. That's #3. I'll be a pirate. I need some pirate hair :)

Hugs to all you too!

Linda

9. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I had to look that up.The words beef stomach and tripe popped out at me.Nope your right not for me anyway.
    Gordon sounds like he has a good sense of humor.How can you not laugh at that picture.Sometimes humor tells us how much we're loved better then comforting words.

So sorry Jolee.I've hit a 3 day skid myself.Not up for nothin and waiting to see if it will disappear as fast as it came on.

Linda I don't know what to say except sorry.I haven't done a lot of research because I'd rather bury my head in the sand.Your very strong to be tested.
    Pam
  10. jole

jole Member

Barry, good to see ya, and I can just imagine your tomato plant....better than any Christmas tree this time of year! Would love to have your weather. I'm not a fan of bare branches and frost-covered ground. No *now at least!

Rock, we've had a river of water running from the cattle tank when DH forgets to turn the water off. Yep, and we pay for our water too. Our water is not drinkable here so we're on the Rural Water District water.

It's okay to feel sorry for yourself (or it had better be, cause we all do it). Tell Gordon to get online here and be our support system.....he can make us all feel better! Gotta love him!

Linda, now that you know you're positive does that make it worse for you? I think that's why I don't want to know until they can 'fix' it....if they ever can. But then, at least you know what you're up against and can keep informed where the rest of us can only guess.

Are you the one who was talking about the denim pj's? Did you ever get yours? Been thinking about them the past couple days. I really don't want anyone popping in here with me in my pj's all day long, even if I do shower :)

Pam, hope you come out of your skid. Think mine is finally passing. I can be upright for more than 2 hours today, which is quite an accomplishment!

Do any of you have severe heart palpitations? I feel like my heart is fluttering enough that I'm going to fly away at times. Sometimes if I drink extra water it seems to help; other times not. Been tested years ago and nothing wrong with my heart that they could find. Just another 'thing' I suppose.

Christmas week is upon us. Feels like just another week to me for some reason. Can't get into the spirit much, can you guys? Just wishing us all good (or even better) health......Jole

11. spacee

spacee Member

Jole, I have tachycardia and take isoptin for it. Took 22 docs to figure it out. I have
    never said we had bright docs around here, but I just don't know how they could
    be THAT dumb. Sour grapes.

I think I am over the initial reaction and back to my regular ole me. Wishing so much
    that we had some chocolate in the house :)

Realized yesterday that the jean pj's never came. Just as well, I suppose.

Cmas is going to be here this week whether we are ready or not.

Pest control lady told me I better not be in my pj's in the am because she was bringing
    a man with her. That really peed me off. I will be in my pj's. So there.

Happy Morning to all.

Linda
  12. spacee

spacee Member

Don't know if we will have many posts for different reasons.

Tomorrow the craziness begins here. Not to worry, I have enough
    meds to keep me comfortable with all the sound.

At this point, I can't remember what I have posted and not. :)
    It was chilly yesterday, overcast. But today is brighter and warmer
    and I bet by Cmas, it will be a nice warm day.

I would wish us all off on a cruise but the cruise ships have been having
    a rough time of it. Best to stay on land. Except in LA where mudslides are
    expected. Poor LA, they get fires and mudslides. Yikes!!

Keep warm and dry!

Linda
  13. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Felt well enough to go out on Sun. for guess what?PJ's our favorite thing!I bought three new pr.I told huz I needed some new ones for company coming at Cmas.I walked out of the store with a big smile.Doesn't take much to make me happy anymore.

Lily is getting groomed today and every cage had a dog in it.They were all working.It will be awhile before I have to get her.Must be every dog in town getting groomed for Christmas.

Kids coming in on Cmas Eve.We'll order pizza in.Turkey is 20lbs. and they want to eat around 1or2 on Cmas.

Pam
  14. spacee

spacee Member

It's amazing what new pj's do!

We have a lot of unexpected guests!!! Ants and rats. Rats in the attic and ants in the
    kitchen. So, plastic containers and bags have come out. Funny, how we haven't had
    any for several years and now they call our place home. Huz is good at getting the
    attic cleared out. And there is something the pest control ppl use....put bait inside
    straws. Hoping they will eat it and take some back to their nests.

Ants don't seem to like chips. That was a big relief for me.

Done with the NTFactor. Scratch that one off the list. Same skin pain the antidepressents
    cause.

Huz says it is cold outside. Pizza on Cmas eve sounds perfect to me!! YUM! Never met
    a piece of pizza I didn't like :)

Things are quiet around here.....til tomorrow.

Linda
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

Wow. I've been gone longer than I thought.

So, you finally found out you are + for XMRV Linda! Does anyone have any suggestions for now, other than what that Dr. jamie ____ is doing with herself and her daughter? Were you surprised by it? I'm not sure I'd be surprised if I were, but, I won't spend the $$ to get tested for anything much really, these days. I too would rather put my head on the sand like Pam.

Well now you can tell that yoga teacher to take a hike at least in private... tho maybe you don't want to tell her that. Maybe write her an anonymous note later if necessary. I know we're all sick of people saying how 'well' we look.

I also had to laugh at what Gordon said, Rock. Tell him he must take a photo then, double dog dare you. Barry, fresh tomatoes on a vine are better'n than any tree I think. You can't eat a tree. And I can't eat menudo. Well, I said that about tongue too until my friend the ex-pro chef made it, I loved it. My huzzy didn't cuz he likes it plain (ugh!). I guess that proves one can make anything taste good tho. Except maybe liver. And menudo. jejeje

Jole sorry you've crashed, but I agree-- at least you got a whole 8 days. That's worth something.

I sometimes wonder if it would matter if one would pace themselves more than we think we need to if it would last longer or not. That would be a hard study to do tho, I can never find a rhyme or reason for when I'm on a 'high' myself.

Hope you're feeling better sooner than later, Pam and Jole-- and all of us!

Not much news here... looking at houses... realizing a lot are going up for auction... some are not even selling at auctions. That raises my hopes we might win the equivalent of a lottery in a sense, tho we'll still have to pay something. I was told there's a 13% vacancy rate here of homes. They grossly over-built here, there was so much rampant speculation.

Still haven't decided on dinner for Christmas for the the 3 of us humans here. My daughter said when they visit her BF's mother, she & he cook, because her BF's mom's solution is to go to a Chinese restaurant, LOL. Shades of 'A Christmas Story' I guess... minus the mannequin leg base, however.

As ever... Goldie

PS: I wa sjust told the eclipse is starting... tho I think I'm going to bed. I guess I'll wait for the next time. Whenever that is... another 350+ years to occur on the solstice? Ha. Happy Solstice...[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2010]
  16. jole

jole Member

Or my password, that it's suppose to remember. It never does. Neither do I. But I fortunately have my list under my monitor ready to pull out at a moment's notice.

Space, sorry you didn't get your denim jammies. I had someone ask where you'd gotten them 'cause they wanted some. Was hoping you could say yea or nay on them.

Pizza for Xmas eve sounds good here too. But no pizza places will be open. Saga of small town living, and I'm not making them from scratch! Anyway, our real Christmas will be New Year's Eve and NY day. Junk for NY eve...little smokies, b-b-que meatballs, cheeses, summer sausages, crackers, chips 'n dip, and lot of homemade cookies 'n candy. Our tradition. Not to mention egg nog and drinks for those who want since no one will be driving. Twenty people staying here!

Decided hubby and I will stay in our camper so I can go to bed early, and the kids can come wake me when lunch is ready...hahaha.

Victoria, house hunting would be sooo much fun! Especially if you knew you didn't 'really' have to buy! I'd love to go house shopping.

Wasn't tonight suppose to be a lunar eclipse? I just looked out and our moon is still nice 'n full. If it happens, it'll happen without me 'cause I'm going to bed. Sleep well, all.......Jole

Well, the eclipse didn't happen without me! I'm still up at 1:15 and over 1/4 of the moon is now covered! Pretty neat! Now it can finish without me....lol...looked again after 2 and it was 1/2 there...what a wonderful winter sight with the frost on the ground! At 6 when I woke up (yeah, short night) that moon was as big and round as ya please! On the other side of the house, of course :)[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2010]
  17. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Err eating actually.I am going to town with DS while he gets a gift card so I can get lunch out again.Huz is so over my lunch out requests.

Catch ya later.
  18. spacee

spacee Member

It's that time of year I dislike. Holidays. Jole you and I are on the same page cept I have
    a bedroom in the basement. Heaven. Still washing blankets for the Florida kids, the NC.
    one came in the house, made a face and turned the heat down to 72.

Pam, I need to have a long talk (or write a letter to you huz). Good grief, you are with FIL
    24/7 or 31 as some shows say. You Deserve A Break...and as often as you can have one.

On the home page here (scroll down to 2nd section) there is news about a new drug that
    fights XMRV and is very well tolerated. Lasts up to 6 days so they are hoping to make it
    weekly dosing. Phase 1 trial is on. If I can talk huz out of ever retiring, I think I could
    buy some. I am concerned about that skin pain I have and the drug making that worse.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for me to try it. Just FYI.

I have my green earplugs in for the Holiday Spirit and I might switch to my darkest
    sunglasses if ppl keep opening the blinds all the way.

Guess that is it for now...

Linda
  19. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Look at you Linda coming to my defense about huz.Thank-you much but I didn't mean he doesn't give me a break with FIL.I mean that when it comes to lunch out this is something Huz,DS and even DD when I'm in Fl. does everyday because they work so they are sick of fast food but it's a treat for me.I'm stuck on McD southern chick sandwich and coke.I could eat it everyday and they all know if I don't eat that then I skip breakfast and lunch.Nothing sounds good to me at home.So I had Panera today and bread bowl soup was good.Now what can I scheme for tomorrow hmm.

I'm so glad those three bad days are over but can't help looking over my shoulder for the next hit just like you all.I'll be so glad to get through the holidays.I need to start taking my VitD because my memory is worsening.No sunshine and curtains closed because of glare always does this.Spinning in place trying to remember to do things wears me out.
    Pam
  20. jole

jole Member

All I want for Christmas this year is thick hair and a thin body. And please don't get it mixed up like you did last year. Love, Jole