7 Days Narcotic Free

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Jan 22, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I give up. I am MISERABLE. The narcotic hunger has completely gone away only to give me the most incredible pain I have had in years. EVERYTHING hurts. I can't do anything because of the pain.

On top of it, I have had insomnia for the past 72 hours - NO SLEEP at all, and working on top of it.

I am miserable.

I am calling my doc tomorrow to get back on the narcotics. I just cant live like this!

I gave it over a week - I tried and did my best I feel.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

sorry you are having such a hard time.....the pain could be rebound pain and may improve if you stick with staying off the drugs a little longer; however, I really don't know how long that would take and obviously you have to be able to manage life in the meantime (if you are in that horrible of pain, it is totally understandable that you would want to resume the narcotics).....I am wondering, though, since you wanted so badly to go off the narcotics, if there is anything non-narcotic that you could try to see if it would help....I would suggest LDN, but I know that takes awhile to get the correct dose
  3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

AuntTammie - I do not know what LDN is....can you explain further.

I have thought of starting off on a non-narcotic pain med first, but, I feel SO ROTTEN that I dont want to take the time to try different drugs until I find something that works - especially when I know the narcotic does the truck.

Not to mention - I dont have medical insurance, so I really cant afford to keep trying different meds.

But please tell me more about LDN - that may be a viable option!
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Shari, I commend you for making it 7 days! I know it's been really hard for you.

I agree with AuntTammie that is might be rebound pain from detoxing. Your doctor may be able to help you with this so that you're not in this amount of pain forever.

Since you did really want to go off of the narcotics, maybe something like the non-narcotic Ultram or Ultracet (generic is Tramadol, I think) might help.

Since you have come this far, I certainly would hate to see you give up on it now.

Have you tried heat or ice packs? Maybe you could soak in a hot tub of water or heat up towels and wrap around your arms or legs, or wherever is hurting. If you don't want to make an ice pack, you can use a bag of frozen vegetables (I use frozen peas). I always put the ice packs at the base of my neck and between my shoulder blades.

I just hope you can find something to help your pain without going back to narcotics.

Have you ever tried Neurontin or Lyrica and Cymbalta? Since you don't have any medical insurance, maybe your doc could give you info about the different drug companies who help pay for their meds. Or, before you go to the doc, do some searching on the internet about help for prescriptions.

Good luck.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

LDN is low dose naltrexone.....has been very helpful for a lot of people with pain, energy, mood, and for some sleep (for others, it can cause some sleep issues, but they usually go away after the body gets used to it)

it works by temporarily blocking the opioid receptors in the brain (so you cannot take narcotics while on it), in doing this, it causes a rebound increase in the body's production of endorphins - these help to modulate the immune system and to improve the things I already mentioned (pain, etc)

very few side effects, substantial improvement for many, but like I said, it can take awhile to get the rt amt and have your body get used to it and you cannot take narcotics

there have been quite a few threads on here about it, there is a site called lowdosenaltrexone.org, and there is a yahoo grp....these are all good places to look for more info, if you are interested
  6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Shari everyone gave you great advice, but I had to say I really agree with what Jam338 had to say. Only you know you pain level, and in my opinion if you need pain med's to get through your day then call your doctor. I also have also tried the LDN therapy but for whatever reason it just didn't help enough.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try it though...lol:)

I guess what I wanted to get across is don't be ashamed to need stronger pain meds than someone else. We are all so different. And if you decide to hang in there and try for a little while longer that wonderful too!

7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I'm also in the process of weaning off of my narcotic pain meds. I've cut back by half over the last couple of wks and plan on going in-patient to finish the detox. (That is if my insurance co will cover it)

I'm just feeling the need to see what I'll feel like without these drugs in my system every day....it's been 3 yrs of daily use of hydrocodone and 1 yr w added methadone. I still feel terrible everyday, so I think it's time to take a holiday. I know some of the pain I feel is from the ebb and flow of the meds in my system, it's awful when I feel the NEED to take another dose. I'm a mess!

I'm scared to see what I'll feel like after my system is cleaned out. What will I do for pain relief? I've read it takes your body months to get back on track making it's own endorphins to deal w the pain. I know it will be a long road, and I really don't know if I'll make it, but I've got to try.

My Dr has been very supportive and thinks I need the inpatient detox, so we'll see. I'm going in Tues morning for the assessment at the chemical dependency hospital in my area. I'll let you know how it goes.

I hope you can see your dr and get something to help you feel better. Apparently there are other types of meds that they give to help with the withdrawal symptoms and the aftermath that our bodies suffer. Take care and let us know how you're doing.

xoxo Hermit
  8. cynicaldog

cynicaldog New Member

I've been on and off narcotic pain meds for the last 8 years, and I don't think 7 days is enough time for your body to clear the meds *and* adapt to the sensations of being med-free. I agree with others who've speculated that you're having rebound pain, and the pain seems amplified. If you can somehow make it through even a couple more weeks, I think you'll find the pain decreases, and if you go back on narcotics you should be able to find relief at a lower dose. Three years ago, I was on 20mg/day of methadone, plus 30mg/prn of oxycodone for my pain. When I weaned off everything to go into a drug trial, I was able to get back on my meds at just 15mg/8 hrs. of oxycodone (no methadone) about six weeks later. I'm just starting to feel that I need an increase in my meds, but I've been on the 15mg oxycodone every 8 hours for almost a year and a half.

I'm not sure what prompted your drug holiday (perhaps just to see if you could do it?), but your meds should seem much more effective if/when you decide to start taking them again. The longer you can stay off them, the better they'll work. No sense being miserable, though -- if feel the pain is unbearable, get back on them as soon as you can.
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Shari!
    There's a couple of things you need to remember -

First - you gained the control you thought you lost!!! WOW! You should be incredibly proud of yourself!

Secondly - you are not in the same situation as others are who have been "addicted" to narcotics and took it for the heck of it. You may be dependant but you got to the point of needing narcotics because you have pain!

Don't lose sight of those two things. The vicodin is probably out of your system. It's half life isn't very long. Your Fibro pain however is not gone. Does your pain feel amplified - most definitely. One, you've been treating it before, now you're not and now your brain is feeling pain like it hasn't before. Remember, our pain signals are screwed up anyways.

Again, the fact that you were (are) able to go 7 days, when you live with daily pain, off of all of your meds because you felt like you were losing control is a HUGE feat! Now you know that you can and do have the discipline to use your medication only to control your pain.

LDN can only be used if you do not use any narcotics. From what I read Jammin's friend had bad pain "even while taking Tylenol Arthritis" and LDN made a huge difference. I'm sorry but those that can get by with Tylenol or aspirin have a whole different level of pain than those who need pain medication.

It's definitely something worth checking into - as I think you should check into all of your options. Only you know what is strong enough to work for you.

Tramadol (Ultram) is an opiate-like medication you might check into. Didn't work for me on bad days, but works wonderfully for many people!
    Believe it or not, my dog has been prescribed Tramadol now! =)

Remember why you were prescribed your meds - you have Fibro, you have PAIN. You felt out of control and now you know that you can be in control! I'm sorry you're hurting now and tomorrow, get something to help you, whatever you choose, because there is no need to suffer.

Get on your heating pad, or in the bathtub, make a nice hot cup of tea, take some Tylenol PM tonight and call your Dr. in the morning! =)[This Message was Edited on 01/24/2010]