8 yr old son with pain in feet and legs-anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deweyon, Nov 8, 2005.

1. deweyon

deweyon New Member

I have been suffering with FMS for almost 5 years now, but was just finally officially diagnosed this past March. It has been a long and very frustrating ordeal as you all probably already know. I am wondering if anyone has children that seem to suffer with pain. My son who is 8 years old now has been suffering from pain in his feet and legs for as long as I can remember. Pain that makes him scream. It only happens occaisionally, but when is does nothing helps. He wants ice then heat, he won't let you even touch him. Doctors say it "growing pains". Thats what Ive heard since I was a kid too. Does anyone know is there is a connection. Have I passed this horrible condition on to him? I don't have another doctor appt. for 3 months (that sounds awesome, after having 3 a week for so long), thought someone could give me some insight.
  2. deweyon

deweyon New Member

Thanks for the reply. I need some input from others. I've inquired with his doctors and as they told me forever, IT ALL IN HIS HEAD, he needs attention etc.. I had a terrible time with pain as a child also. I have worn orthotics in my shoes since the age of 9. Hes not bow-legged or knock-kneed, and his arches are normal. I just don't think that he is making this up. I am going to talk to my dr next time to see what advice she gives me also.
    THANKS
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

just giving you some more possibilities: for leg pain have his knees checked for osgood-schlater's disease, when they grow quickly and build up like a calcium deposit right below knee caps and bulges out then a nerve will be getting pressed on from the inflamation...

my son who id now almost sixteen has it and his father had it as well...cody would always complain of this and i would give him motrin or advil and ice and a pillow propt under his knees...he wouldn't hardly be able to sleep because of it and it hurt to run and walk....

you do still want them be as active as possible, so try roller hockey or roller bladding...he did have a dr note to relieve him of running when the child complained then he could just walk instead....

this has finally past it lasted for years until about the age of 14 or 15...i have heard anymore complaints of it..

hopefully that is it, yes it is very painful and take him seriously...as you are...he will not have this forever if this is it....ortho docotor could tell you and most pediatricians do as well...not much to treat it i belied they could go in and scrape it off but there were some rissks involved...i don;t recall what they were right now....but he will be just fine...hopefully that is all is wrong....

and i have a congentail ankle problem, causing servere nerve pains...doctor told me if i was a kid they could've done a sussful surgery, now i am too old and wouldn't benefit...surgery on the ankles...but i am looking at getting surgery on my big toe joint toe caused by the spreading of the ankle problems...now i have arititsand bone spurs in them and the neoromas. on both feet. and i remember feet dkilling from running in school.

i hope this may help some...i know how i couldn't stand to see him that way. but you do out grow the osgood;and now he his playing football and doing very well..

jodie